Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

On 5/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, Nick1066 said:

Just three?

In 1978.

As for whomever is getting the Dune set, do you also collect Udo Kier films.

Just finished watching Raiders. In terms of sharpness there are quite a few shots that look soft but the majority of it looks really great. I suppose you will see more and more imperfections with increased resolution but it still works with the period tone of the piece. And that's OK. It is still a considerable and noticeable over old Blu-ray. And no more urine tint. Yay! 

I've found md myself admiring the simplicity of Spielberg's setups. So many of the scenes covered by single shots. Very clever. 

Karol

Oh snap I forgot these came out.  Time to see of we can get cleaner music from the 7.1!

The remasters looks great.

I have the BD box but haven’t watched it in a couple of years, but I watched the trailers for the 4K release and followed the threads here on JWfan that resurface talking about the music (of course) and it strikes me - as any time I listen to any cue from the IJ franchise - just how darn good the music is.

It is so damn epic and cinematic and lush and over the top but still so sensible and heartfelt that it makes me feel young again and that so I am just now experiencing the magic of cinema for the first time!

Since Ben Burtt was involved in the new sound mixes, I suppose the music levels have been lowered and the sound FX are way higher?

There was an International Cut on laser disc which is more explicit😊

I'm curious.

Are folks actually repurchasing films they already owned on bluray?

Are you going to buy, again, the INDY films for a barely perceptible increase in sharpness of image?

If you do upgrade, is it because you bought a REALLY big screen?

This is the extended naughty cut. But, sadly, original elements for those extra shots couldn't be located so had to be sourced from the internegative. The disc looks gorgeous regardless and there's a nice 16-minute featurette on the score. Nothing any of us fans don't know already but it's lovely for Studio Canal to give Goldsmith so much love. This film is perfectly scored.

Karol

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

There was an International Cut on laser disc which is more explicit😊

I'm curious.

Are folks actually repurchasing films they already owned on bluray?

Are you going to buy, again, the INDY films for a barely perceptible increase in sharpness of image?

If you do upgrade, is it because you bought a REALLY big screen?

"Barely perceptible" is a relative term. Increased sharpness isn't the only advantage of UHD (in fact it's not even the primary advantage).  HDR makes a much more dramatic, noticeable difference.  But there are other factors at play here, the size of your screen, the quality, and your ability to notice and appreciate the differences.  Or even care about them. And in terms of the Raiders release specifically, there's also a different colour grade. This really doesn't have anything to do with UHD, but to some people the more naturalistic tones of the new release might be enough of a reason to upgrade.

Of course, none of that may matter to you. Most people just want to click play and enjoy the film. IMO the biggest jump in terms of the general public noticing picture quality was VHS to DVD. DVD was the game changer. Frankly the average viewer would likely have been happy with DVD had HD or UHD never come along.  Which is fine.  Increased resolution doesn't make the films themselves any better, and there's an argument to be made that sets getting higher and higher resolution is just a way to get people to continually upgrade TV's and content.

I suppose there's something to be said about the absurdity of obsessives who spend their time pressing pause and marvelling how you can make out every bump on a lizard's back or count every hair on Luke Skywalker's beard.  But before being too harsh in your judgement, let's remember that this is a community that obsesses over missing alternate cues from 40 year old scores.

Everybody needs a hobby.

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's an obsession I don't understand or  share,  but I tolerate the obsessives.😝

Well exactly. Home theatre aficionados and film score aficionados arguing over which hobby is more obsessive is like Star Wars and Star Trek obsessives arguing over who is more geeky.

Well, speaking from the perspective of all those nutters and deviants who care about these things, with UHD Blu-ray it finally feels like having a truly cinematic experience at home. :)

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, speaking from the perspective of all those nutters and deviants who care about these things, with UHD Blu-ray it finally feels like having a truly cinematic experience at home. :)

Karol

No. Its a nice home experience. My cinematic experiences tend to have more people screens larger than most average homes and more vibrations than a sex stores vibrator collection.

I want to get Twelve O'Clock High. No 4K presentation is available. 

12 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

"Barely perceptible" is a relative term. Increased sharpness isn't the only advantage of UHD (in fact it's not even the primary advantage).  HDR makes a much more dramatic, noticeable difference.  But there are other factors at play here, the size of your screen, the quality, and your ability to notice and appreciate the differences.  Or even care about them. And it terms of the Raiders release specifically, there's also a different colour grade. This really doesn't have anything to do with UHD, but to some people the more naturalistic tones of the new release might be enough of a reason to upgrade.

Of course, none of that may matter to you. Most people just want to click play and enjoy the film. IMO the biggest jump in terms of the general public noticing picture quality was VHS to DVD. DVD was the game changer. Frankly the average viewer would likely have been happy with DVD had HD or UHD never come along.  Which is fine.  Increased resolution doesn't make the films themselves any better, and there's an argument to be made that sets getting higher and higher resolution is just a way to get people to continually upgrade TV's and content.

I suppose there's something to be said about the absurdity of obsessives who spend their time pressing pause and marvelling how you can make out every bump on a lizard's back or count every hair on Luke Skywalker's beard.  But let's remember that this is a community that obsesses over missing alternate cues from 40 year old scores.

Everybody needs a hobby.

I'm going to miss our interactions😊

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm going to miss our interactions😊

Are you going somewhere? Are you getting banned? Am I getting banned?

On 6/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, Nick1066 said:

Are you going somewhere? Are you getting banned? Am I getting banned?

It's inevitable.

But, I'm about to leave voluntarily.

You can get a clue for the reason  why by checking out the comments on " Composers Who Dominated...".

That's just a fraction of the whole.

Feel free to PM me. I'll still be checking in.

Btw I'll miss Thor and Shark also.😍

18 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's inevitable.

But, I'm about to leave voluntarily.

Ah. Well sorry to hear that. I don't like it when our discordant voiceas leave us here, it's been happening far too often. If you want to make beautiful music, you must play the black and the white notes together.

But if this must be it, then I bid you adieu Bruce Marshall.  Where else shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?

Karol's comments and others I have read inspired me to double dip on Indiana Jones. Also bluray.com and digital bits encouraged me as well. Either I am having Indy Fest soon.

Kingdom has an amazing score and great Character moments.

Watching the mine car chase i wondered why the hell is there no rollercoaster based on this?

On 6/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, Nick1066 said:

"Barely perceptible" is a relative term. Increased sharpness isn't the only advantage of UHD (in fact it's not even the primary advantage).  HDR makes a much more dramatic, noticeable difference.  But there are other factors at play here, the size of your screen, the quality, and your ability to notice and appreciate the differences.  Or even care about them. And in terms of the Raiders release specifically, there's also a different colour grade. This really doesn't have anything to do with UHD, but to some people the more naturalistic tones of the new release might be enough of a reason to upgrade.

What's more, those aspects of picture quality do not exist in isolation: certain colour corrections can help bring-out edges and make the image appear sharper; often that effect is much more significant than the actual increase in resolution (which, in a film replete in opticals like Indiana Jones, would be next to nothing).

Perception of acuity is a very complicated subject!

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril” in Paris.

I didn't know about that. 

What a terrible representation. 

The coaster should be enclosed, a duo coaster.  It should be fast, scary, and feel dangerous.  

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I didn't know about that. 

What a terrible representation. 

The coaster should be enclosed, a duo coaster.  It should be fast, scary, and feel dangerous.  

Yes I can confirm it’s terrible.

15 hours ago, toothless said:

Yes I can confirm it’s terrible.

That is sad.

For those who are wondering about Apocalypse Now in 4K, apparently the PQ is mind-boggling good. Top 3 best 4K discs ever! 

It is amazing, especially if you manage to grab your hands on the OOP 6-disc edition. But I'm surprised why they suddenly make a buzz 2 years after the release?

Karol

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

For those who are wondering about Apocalypse Now in 4K, apparently the PQ is mind-boggling good.

The colour scheme of that movie would definitely lend itself to HDR.

It was always one of the best-looking films ever made, too.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Is there an affordable single disc available? Don't want to buy the deluxe version. 

It sold out way before the release date almost 2 years ago. There is only one edition available currently. 

Karol

The 6-disc edition is under $20 at all three major US retailers

That is "affordable" to me, but maybe not to Alex?

Or maybe the price of the 6-disc edition is wildly different in his country?

I discovered I do not have Rogue Nation in my collection so I used some points and added it.  I probably will discover once it arrives that I do have a copy and I just couldn't find it