Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I had to look it up because I could have sworn they were already on 4K

It turns out I was right!  But only in a boxset from 2018, so this must be the premiere of them as separate SKUs?

Oh ok, that makes sense.  I'll retroactively pretend like I knew that and was just waiting on the separate SKUs so I could get just the two movies I want :) 

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

Huh? Box set?

At least the first Jurassic Park movie has been available as a stand alone release for a long time. It was one of the first 4K discs I bought.

What was that release?  Everything I can find only references the 2018 box set seen below and I can't find anything about a standalone release on 4k blu-ray before this year

image.png

Here's the list of other releases on blu-ray.com, all the standalones are regular blu-ray or 3d blu-ray.

image.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone here using an XBox One S to view UHD discs? I'm wondering whether it has the option to downscale to 1080p while retaining HDR? Reason would be to reduce the jarring effect of films that contain early digital VFX that were rendered at lower resolutions (e.g. JP1).

Also wondering which 3rd party media remotes are recommended, seeing as the XBox One seemingly never had an official remote released.

31 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is anyone here using an XBox One S to view UHD discs? I'm wondering whether it has the option to downscale to 1080p while retaining HDR? Reason would be to reduce the jarring effect of films that contain early digital VFX that were rendered at lower resolutions (e.g. JP1).

Also wondering which 3rd party media remotes are recommended, seeing as the XBox One seemingly never had an official remote released.

Xbox One does have an official media remote.

Xbox One Media Remote https://a.co/d/gsR0wYx

PDP also does good third party licensed products.

PDP Gaming Remote Control: Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Xbox https://a.co/d/2wixK4b

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The first one is briliant. I don't need the others. 

The first and last one (Rocky Balboa) are essential. With Rocky II that’s my Rocky trilogy. 

I had to preorder the Poltergeist one.  Lobby cards are my weakness.  They are such time capsules, which is what should be the aim of a video release - to capture the feeling of the theatrical release and the promotion.

13915327-1124974957710967.jpg

Yes, I agree.  Fortunately, they outer box has better art more representative of the original poster art.

They were sort of interchangeable with press kit photos sent to media outlets that had stills intended to promote the movie.   They represented the main images the producers hoped to promote the film with.   So the images, like the poster art, became sort of iconic and ubiquitous.  But yes, I remember lobby cards being hung up next to the poster in the theater lobby. Fun to look over when you’re a kid getting excited about a movie you’re about to see, or just saw. 

I have a whopping one 4K Blu-Ray right now and the only device capable of playing it is my Xbox. 4K Blu-Ray players and 4K home theater receivers are still too expensive.

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

I have a whopping one 4K Blu-Ray right now and the only device capable of playing it is my Xbox. 4K Blu-Ray players and 4K home theater receivers are still too expensive.

Your Xbox is a 4K Blu-ray player, why would you buy a separate device?

19 hours ago, Drew said:

Which one?

And please post a selfie of you dressed as Batman '66.

Thanks.

EDIT: So for my new Saloon (it's Bespin's Saloon) I purchased a Bluray player... to basically play my old... DVDs... and my 6 BR. I don't have 4K or "ultra" movies. I wanted something not to expensive. I think it's a 2016 model. Outdated, like me!

Sony BDPS6700 4K Upscaling 3D Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player

Sony BDPS6700 4K Upscaling 3D Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (2016 Canada Model)

I can listen to my Roku TV on my phone, and this BR player seems to be able to send his audio a a bluetooth peripheral. Bye Bye wire (well almost!)

19 hours ago, AC1 said:

Pictures!

Oh, it's not a legitimate home theater. Just a regular living room with a TV, sofa, and a 5.1 stereo system.

11 hours ago, Andy said:

Which one?

Spider-Man: No Way Home

It’s just 5.1.  I haven’t kept up with technology, so the amp is a little old, but sounds phenomenal to my ears.  My father in law was a real audiophile and helped me pick it out probably more than 10 years ago, so it doesn’t even accept hdmi.   I procrastinate upgrading to Atmos simply because Im happy with the sound, I don’t feel like spending the money, and I really don’t keep up with learning about the technology. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't bought anything yet in recent memory. I will get a dvd of a universal B horror film for my birthday. And I am always on the search for 1930's b horror films  the Secret of the Blue Room, which apparently my husband has already found 

Arrow will be releasing this.

I wonder what is this I bolded...

Bn3ttrF.jpeg

Extras

• Brand new 4K restorations of both the theatrical and extended cuts from the original negative by Arrow Films
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) and High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of both cuts
  • Limited Edition SteelBook housed in Deluxe rigid packaging, both with newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • 60-page perfect-bound illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jackson Cooper and Mark Cunliffe
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by José Saccone
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized artcards
  • Original uncompressed stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary with director Kevin Reynolds and actor Kevin Costner
  • Audio commentary with actors Morgan Freeman and Christian Slater and writers/producers Pen Densham and John Watson
  • Here We Are Kings: Making Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves – a brand new, multi-part documentary featuring brand new interviews with Densham, Watson, director of photography Douglas Milsome, editor Peter Boyle, costume designer John Bloomfield and many more members of the creative team
  • Robin Hood: The Myth, the Man, the Movie – an archival 1991 documentary hosted by Pierce Brosnan
  • One-on-One with the Cast – archival 1991 interviews with Costner, Freeman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Slater and Alan Rickman
  • Bryan Adams “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You” performance at Slane Castle, Ireland
  • Music soundtrack cues
  • Theatrical trailer
  • TV spots
  • Image gallery

55 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Didn't the dvd have an "isolated score" that was just edited from the OST?

Oh. didn't know that. Yes, it did:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=12820&forumID=1&archive=1

By the way, I have seen this movie long long ago and I don't remember anything about it. I was wondering if it is worth a "blind" buy.

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Oh. didn't know that. Yes, it did:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=12820&forumID=1&archive=1

By the way, I have seen this movie long long ago and I don't remember anything about it. I was wondering if it is worth a "blind" buy.

Well that really depends on your taste in movie's :lol:. If you like cheesy 90's action/adventure with a great score I'd recommend it. 

Yeah they do a great job. 

Robin Hood is stupid as hell, and Costner is still playing John Dunbar.  But it’s never boring, the score is great, the action is okay. Of course I bought it!  It’ll pair well with Arrow’s edition of Waterworld. 

• 1 month later...