Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Good to know that I've seen the "real" ones. Although I don't remember the differences.

I got a little overenthusiastic with getting rid of my DVDs when I moved. I might have gotten rid of this. OTOH, it's a good excuse to get it in HD or 4K.

I just got a 75" TCL 4K TV. I might have to take some of the discs where I have both 4K and Blu-ray and try out some AB testing. If I don't care at that size then I probably won't for a good long while.

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I just got a 75" TCL 4K TV. I might have to take some of the discs where I have both 4K and Blu-ray and try out some AB testing. If I don't care at that size then I probably won't for a good long while.

I'd love to hear the results.  I don't see much difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for years for this (now if anyone could do the same for Little Buddha):

14197958-6485007607398531.webp

• New 4K restoration of the original theatrical version
  • Original and extended versions of the film presented in their original aspect ratio of 2.39:1
  • Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio, plus 5.1 audio option for theatrical version
  • Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options
  • Eight double-sided postcard sized lobby card reproduction artcards
  • Fold-out double-sided poster featuring two artwork options
  • Illustrated collectors book featuring new writing by film critics Kat Ellinger and Philip Kemp, plus select archival material

DISC 1 - THEATRICAL VERSION (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

• 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 and 5.1 audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • First to Last: The Road to the Forbidden City, a new visual essay by film critic David Cairns exploring Bernardo Bertolucci’s career prior to The Last Emperor
  • Open the Door, a new visual essay by film critics David Cairns & Fiona Watson in which they follow Bertolucci into the Forbidden City to explore in-depth The Last Emperor and the truth on which it is based
  • Archive interview with director Bernardo Bertolucci
  • Archive interview with star John Lone
  • Archive interview with star Joan Chen
  • Postcard from China, video footage shot by Bernardo Bertolucci while location scouting in China
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery

DISC 2 - EXTENDED VERSION (BLU-RAY)

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Original uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

On 29/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, filmmusic said:

(now if anyone could do the same for Little Buddha)

That film isn't loved as much (as The Last Emperor) so chances are slim.

Are there any screenshots of the 4K restoration of The Last Emperor? I've always been disappointed with the releases in my country. The Blu-ray looks terrible. Bad releases are the reason why I haven't seen this film in decades.

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Are there any screenshots of the 4K restoration of The Last Emperor?

Not yet. The UHD hasn't been released yet. There are screenshots of the 3d conversion, but I think this new UHD comes from a new restoration.

4K restoration is done by Turbine Medien and LSP. Arrow co-financed the restoration.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20682457&postcount=44

Has anyone seen Dragonslayer (1981)?

It seems it's getting a 4K release.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=357291

I haven't seen it but maybe it's right up my alley since I love 80s fantasy films.

On 01/12/2022 at 8:22 AM, AC1 said:

That film isn't loved as much (as The Last Emperor) so chances are slim.

At least a regular blu-ray (like Arrow's The Sheltering Sky) would be most welcomed.

There are some blu-rays in Europe, but they are in the wrong aspect ratio.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't seen it but maybe it's right up my alley since I love 80s fantasy films.

It has arguably the best dragon ever put on film.

Dragonslayer is fantastic, and a bit of a paradox. Marketed to kids in the wake of Star Wars, but it eschews the swashbuckling expectations for a somewhat somber affair with imperfect protagonists living at the end of an epoch. It’s got something rather profound to say about Christianity replacing magic and sorcery.  A score that is as off kilter as the film, and visual effects better than they should’ve been.

Astonishing that in the age of Hi Def physical media, Dragonslayer and Yound Sherlock Holmes are both so late, considering they’re both damn good, and always mentioned in ILM docs. 

Probably my last big holdout for Blu Ray. 

13 minutes ago, Andy said:

a somewhat somber affair

I was going to describe it as "grim". Somber is better.

One of ILMs first non-Lucas projects, right?

• 2 weeks later...

0B67CE26-DA68-4576-A2E3-3E3296018E5F.jpeg

Regarding the 4K Superman movies, it’ll be a 5- movie box set, not individually released movies. That’s Supes I-IV + Supes II: TDC.

The box will have newly remastered version of at least Superman, and Superman II The Donner Cut, newly scanned from original camera elements.

Further along down the line we’ll be getting the extended cut of Superman IV. Not known yet if it’ll be 4K, but I’ll be happy with a BD disc.

Note: not official art.

Source 

Same for me, as while the one I bought it competent, I don't use the living room TV enough to where $160+ is something I'm fine with having spent on one (plus the remote came broken, so easy reason for return).

I have the Sony UBP-X800M2. It works great and also plays both SACDs and DVD-A.

Yeah, a 4K disc of Superman was released in 2018. Pity for us consumers that WB didn’t put the work in on that release - but also, reviews only reveal a slight upgrade from the BD.

Hopefully now we’ll get a gorgeous transfer, for both the 1978 original and it’s sequels. Honestly, if that weren’t to happen, I don’t see people shelving out the cash for a box set of “here’s the one you already bought in 4K + the sequels in slightly better way quality.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

Further along down the line we’ll be getting the extended cut of Superman IV.

Wait…..for real???? I didn’t read that in the link you posted.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Wait…..for real???? I didn’t read that in the link you posted.

Under "Cuts NOT slated for release on 4K UHD in Spring 2023", the author wrote: 

2. Extended cuts of the first movie and its three sequels 

6 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Under "Cuts NOT slated for release on 4K UHD in Spring 2023", the author wrote: 

Oh okay, so I saw that and wasn't sure if that was what I thought. That is very interesting. I wonder if this means we'll get to see Nuclear Man 1?

I don’t love Superman Returns, but I do love the vibe, the atmosphere and the nostalgic feeling of the movie… many thanks to a sensible script and absolutely thanks to a wonderful Brandon Routh (#bringbackbrandonrouth).

But, if the rumors are true, this will be a Reeve-centric box set, so alongside the four original movies, we’ll also get The Donner Cut of II.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I don’t love Superman Returns, but I do love the vibe, the atmosphere and the nostalgic feeling of the movie… many thanks to a sensible script and absolutely thanks to a wonderful Brandon Routh (#bringbackbrandonrouth).

If you love the vibe, the atmosphere, the nostalgic feeling and Brandon Routh then you have enough reasons to love to movie. 

Almost ordered Alita Battle Angel but the shipping costs were more than the movie.

51yn8TP4sFL._AC_SY580_.jpg

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

If you love the vibe, the atmosphere, the nostalgic feeling and Brandon Routh then you have enough reasons to love to movie. 

There’s also a lot of things I don’t love about that movie, but there’s enough of that going round. No need for another voice in the choir. I’d rather try to add some nuance. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Rocky The Knockout Selection

Release date: 2/28/23

FC6D59A4-3B67-46B1-A3C7-2CFD63CDCFD7.jpeg

Apparently Sly is working on new cuts for Rocky V and VI with 4K versions being released later this year. That’s why they aren’t in this set.

HD is enough for me - I don't have a 4K setup and it also becomes evident from watching a bunch of BDs that some films just aren't shot that great and no amount of extra resolution makes them look particularly good.

I got the JP trilogy BD for £5 from an exchange shop over the holidays and while JP and JPIII look pretty decent, TLW is so dark and soft that it's hardly a demo disc.

Cerrtainly, if I find I watch a film over and over, buying the Blu ray is a no brainer - I got three other first purchases in that store. However, if I already own the DVD and I don't love the film that much, sometimes the DVD does the job.

Some films I've never owned, full stop - Pixars, Indy, most Potters, and others never graduated to HD because I don't watch them in current times, such as LotR.

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I got the JP trilogy for £5 from an exchange shop over the holidays and while JP and JPIII look pretty decent, TLW is so dark and soft that it's hardly a demo disc.

Softness doesn't necessarily equal bad picture. It's the sharpness that's often suspicious, especially in films shot before mid-2000s.

But yes, a good Blu-ray disc is still great.

Karol

I got rid of almost all of ‘em. Limited or not, I couldn’t justify the space it occupied since I never watched any of it. So I gave it all away, I just simply put it in a box outside the thrift store.

There were some cool things in there that I hope found a happy home.

For example, a DVD of the Revenge Of The Sith with a Walmart exclusive bonus disc: The Story Of Star Wars - R2-D2 & C-3PO's Chronicles Of Luke And Anakin Skywalker.

CAE4AC5A-E388-4127-9D21-7ED021B82D2D.jpeg

Also a kind of rare Stephen King DVD, issued with the first printing of Just After Sunset, that collected the 25 episodes of the online animated series based on N.

4C969BC6-DBC4-4BC1-87D0-59D98115A87D.png

And I remember a cool looking special edition of Event Horizon. (This one I actually watch from time to time, but I’ve caught it a couple of times in HD on streaming, so no need to keep the DVD.)

F62ED931-2BD9-4BB8-8C7A-4BB8874EE90B.jpeg

I did however keep the bonus DVD for The Revenge Of The Sith: A Musical Journey:)

Has anyone seen Dragonslayer? I wonder if I should blind buy it. I love 80s fantasy films.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20777415&postcount=295

81Pi4QkRYYL._SL1000_.jpg

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON 4K UHD, REMASTERED WITH DOLBY ATMOS SOUND, AND FEATURING HOURS OF SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDING NEW COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR MATTHEW ROBBINS WITH GUILLERMO DEL TORO

An essential fantasy-adventure, with groundbreaking Oscar-nominated visual effects, DRAGONSLAYER comes to 4K Ultra HD with HDR-10 and Dolby Vision—restored for exceptional picture and sound approved by director Matthew Robbins. Set in sixth-century England, an ill-tempered, fire-breathing creature—ominously known as Vermithrax Pejorative—terrorizes its citizens until a young sorcerer’s apprentice named Galen is reluctantly tasked with confronting the beast. For Galen to succeed, it will take more than magic to defeat the dragon.

Special Features include:

NEW Commentary by Director Matthew Robbins & Guillermo del Toro
NEW Screen Tests
NEW The Slayer of All Dragons
Original Theatrical Trailer

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen the film but I like the score

It's a very well crafted score, but IIRC there is no easily recognisable theme, which I would expect from such a film.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

which I would expect from such a film

Ha! You're not alone.

If you have any way to see the film first, try that. Or if you don't mind taking a chance.

There really is nothing like it. The score is a good indication of the kind of choices this film makes. It's not a whiz bang adventure story. That doesn't mean it's deep and meaningful either. It's Dragonslayer. It is truly it's own thing.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

There really is nothing like it.

I love Willow, Legend and Krull, if it's anything like them.

But you're right, better to check it out first, before buying it.

57 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I love Willow, Legend and Krull, if it's anything like them.

But you're right, better to check it out first, before buying it.

It is absolutely nothing like them. And I love Krull.

Dragonslayer is the most down to earth grounded in reality movie you will ever see featuring a dragon and a wizard. Whether that is a good thing or not is very debatable. It's the Andor of fantasy movies without the superior writing.

That cover is gorgeous, BTW.

On 2/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, filmmusic said:

At least a regular blu-ray (like Arrow's The Sheltering Sky) would be most welcomed.

There are some blu-rays in Europe, but they are in the wrong aspect ratio.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:59 PM, Andy said:

Dragonslayer is fantastic, and a bit of a paradox. Marketed to kids in the wake of Star Wars, but it eschews the swashbuckling expectations for a somewhat somber affair with imperfect protagonists living at the end of an epoch. It’s got something rather profound to say about Christianity replacing magic and sorcery.  A score that is as off kilter as the film, and visual effects better than they should’ve been.

Astonishing that in the age of Hi Def physical media, Dragonslayer and Yound Sherlock Holmes are both so late, considering they’re both damn good, and always mentioned in ILM docs. 

Probably my last big holdout for Blu Ray. 

It’s an incredibly crafted and one of a kind film. It won’t fill you with feel-goods, but it’s more of a thinking man’s 80s fantasy.   I’ve preordered it.