Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

I had to look up what "Megasound" was.

This sentance was repeated on nearly all sights talking about the original Superman II release (I guess all sites copy wikipedia):

Selected premiere engagements of Superman II were presented in Megasound, a high-impact surround sound system similar to Sensurround.

So what is Sensurround? Wiki says:

Sensurround worked by adding extended-range bass for sound effects. The low-frequency sounds were more felt than heard, providing a vivid complement to onscreen depictions of earth tremors, bomber formations, and amusement park rides.

It seems it was developed for Earhquake in 1974 (Hey! Another John Williams property, cool!):

Source: https://catherinmouttet.medium.com/the-sensurround-effect-3bfcdf520577#:~:text=Sensurround's initial release launched with,won one for Best Sound.

Sensurround's initial release launched with the epic disaster film Earthquake in 1974. This was the first time, audio was considered to be integrated into the film experience as a special effect

That makes sense for a movie such as Earthquake. I don't really see the need for it on any of the Superman movies, though. I'm happy with a well adapted 5.1 mix (which, if you purchase the box, you'll get and more - all movies appearantly have an atmos mix).

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I don't really see the need for it on any of the Superman movies, though.

Because there were no earthquakes in Superman?

I saw Battlestar Galactica in Sensaround. Very cool.

56 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Only SUPERMAN II was in Megasound.

56 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I saw Battlestar Galactica in Sensurround. Very cool.

So did I. I remember being impressed, but, I guess that modern-day 5.1 audio tracks can, at the very least, approximate how it was, at the time.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Yeah I imagine with the right subwoofer at the right crossover and volume.

It would probably help if the subwoofer was active.

Of course, even a high-end 5.1 system, with the biggest TV around, couldn't hope to emulate a 70mm, 6-track, Sensurround experience, bit it can certainly try.

As an aside, I'm coming to the conclusion that I prefer to watch films at home, rather than go to the cinema. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

As an aside, I'm coming to the conclusion that I prefer to watch films at home, rather than go to the cinema. 

I saw Casablanca in a full cinema last week. Nobody ever paused the movie. There was an audience to react to the film. (Nobody talked.) And Bogie and Bergman were 40 feet tall. I'm coming to the conclusion I'd prefer to see television shows in a theater.

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I saw Casablanca in a full cinema last week. Nobody ever paused the movie. There was an audience to react to the film. (Nobody talked.) And Bogie and Bergman were 40 feet tall. I'm coming to the conclusion I'd prefer to see television shows in a theater.

They were probably asleep. ;)

1 minute ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

They were probably asleep. ;)

Oh no, people laughed and cried in all the right places. (I know, you were kidding.)

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Please don't misunderstand, @Tallguy.

I do like a good trip to the flicks, and I have been watching films at the cinema since I was five years old. It's just that, nowadays, I find that there are, for me, more advantages to watching a film at home, than there are in making the run to my (not so) local movie theatre.

8 hours ago, Amer said:

"You need a a better ultra 4K UHD Player from OPPO"

" I know..... but its OOP" 

Finally by stroke of great luck I was able to get this near mint baby!!! I'm over the moon:

The mother ship: OPPO UDP-205

Oppo UDP 205 1

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Why they bought an Oppo 4K disc player. 

Why not? I'd love to get one or a lightly used standard Oppo Blu-ray player someday (he types on his Oppo smart phone).

Producer Jon Landau on True Lies, The Abyss, Titanic, and Avatar arriving on UHD Blu-ray in 2023: "I would bet it would be"

(Think there's a chance that True Lies will finally get an expanded score release?)

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

I also hope they'll include the open matte

I think films should be viewed in their OAR.

I don't think there is any reason whatsoever to include that...

As long as the film in its OAR is always available in the same format & quality, I have no issue with films being released in open matte or any other AR. In fact, I'd love to see all these films in open matte.  The Titanic open matte is a pretty cool viewing experience. Not better or worse, but it's nice to see a familiar with through a different lens.

Agreed the original AR should always remain available as it's the director first intention but if a larger and different format exist why keeping it away. Titanic was originaly meant for 2.35  but when Cameron re-released it with IMAX he decided that it would be better to open it up so why not with The Abyss.

The open matte are different viewing sometime better, sometime worst or sometime just different. I see them as Alternate in score expansion: they're not what was originally imagined but they were still made.

On 16/3/2023 at 6:53 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Will THE ABYSS contain both versions?

I feel the same about The Abyss extended edition as I do about the Aliens one...they're both my preferred versions, but both have things I could do without.

For Aliens, it's the completely unnecessary Hadley's Hope sequence.

For The Abyss, it's the Russia/nuclear war subplot. It's only hinted at in the theatrical, but it becomes central in the extended, and not only detracts from the main story, but dates the film. Especially the sequence at the end. 

8 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

For Aliens, it's the completely unnecessary Hadley's Hope sequence.

The actual scenes in the colony are a bit at odds with the rest of the film tonally, but I love the part with Newt's family and the derelict.

It's like the EE of Return of the King, there are great parts that were added back but then there are some headscratchers like the drinking game with Gimli and Legolas and Gimli's cringey skull crunching scene in the paths of the dead.

On 14/3/2023 at 7:34 AM, Andy said:

This release is a comedy of errors.  And we don't even know how WB has managed to mess up II, III, and IV yet.

0F1ADEBB-ACD1-4EC0-9C4A-8296AC20F12C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tallguy said:

I saw Battlestar Galactica in Sensaround. Very cool.

I saw Earthquake in sensurround 

Also saw BSG, Rollercoaster, and Midway(76) all in sensurround 

My latest 4k my beloved films from the 50's. 

819+HI1LuWL._SX522_.jpg

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've only seen BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in Sensurround.

@JoeinAR, where did you watch these films in Sensurround? Which cinemas?

I saw them in North Little Rock,Ar the McCain Mall theatre and one in Little Rock. Both theatres are long gone.

None of my Childhood theatres still exist. The most recent demise was the Breckenridge in little rock but it shut down in January and the building was destroyed by the tornado that hit Little Rock this past Friday.

Wiped clean by the wrath of god.

19 hours ago, Andy said:

Speaking of Sensurround:

C714319D-B57E-45AC-AC7E-AEBA9C737542.jpeg

Mmm, I wonder if the f/x are going to be tweaked at all, specifically those rear projection cockpit shots. The model/roto work should stand up well, looking forward to this.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Wiped clean by the wrath of god.

Yeah, the theater where I saw Raiders is gone too. Not by a tornado though. I'm thinking that might have been your larger point, actually.

Well it was fortunate. In Little Rock on a Friday afternoon at two thirty had the tornado hit could have been bad.  I noticed my 4k set which is supposed tk arrive thursday is in LR now. One of the few times I have triple dipped actually more than that. I had war of the worlds on beta, vhs, Rca video disc, dvd, br, and now 4k