Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Hmm, an old negative of 2-perf sound film with old spherical lenses.

I wonder if it even contains much more than 2K?

Still it'll eliminate ugly upscaling artifacts by making a higher resolution scan.

Regarding the Batman 4K black crush debacle, still pending verification of course, I think it is just horrible if it’s true.

I mean, who are these people to push a brand new master to their customers that looks worse than the previous one?

If it’s true, this release deserves to rot in hell and the person responsible for its release demoted!

We are an obsessed few who dig into these kind of details, but the unsuspecting, average buyer, just wants to upgrade - instead he pays money for a downgrade!

It kind of reminds me of The Schindler’s List LE CD2 reveal: that a few tracks are not CD quality (albeit that was bonus material, and I guess we - the consumers - have been conditioned to think that sub-standard quality bonus material is “ok” (and as super JW fans as well, I guess, we’re just glad to see it released).

But Batman 4K is not a bonus disc. It’s a brand new release!

It makes me wonder - should I have to quality check every track on every album, every scene in every movie?

No!

I guess in rare cases, the studios send out replacement discs but it’s a hassle, and ask your selves... should that really be necessary?

Where’s the goddamn decency, folks?

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Regarding the Batman 4K black crush debacle, still pending verification of course, I think it is just horrible if it’s true.

I mean, who are these people to push a brand new master to their customers that looks worse than the previous one?

If it’s true, this release deserves to rot in hell and the person responsible for its release demoted!

We are an obsessed few who dig into these kind of details, but the unsuspecting, average buyer, just wants to upgrade - instead he pays money for a downgrade!

It kind of reminds me of The Schindler’s List LE CD2 reveal: that a few tracks are not CD quality (albeit that was bonus material, and I guess we - the consumers - have been conditioned to think that sub-standard quality bonus material is “ok” (and as super JW fans as well, I guess, we’re just glad to see it released).

But Batman 4K is not a bonus disc. It’s a brand new release!

It makes me wonder - should I have to quality check every track on every album, every scene in every movie?

No!

I guess in rare cases, the studios send out replacement discs but it’s a hassle, and ask your selves... should that really be necessary?

Where’s the goddamn decency, folks?

What a load of entitled whining!

Most reviews that I've read seem to be praising the accurate black so not sure what are these other people whining about. Is it based on the actual discs or some pictures/Youtube videos? Everyone is a fucking expert these days. :lol:

Karol

34 minutes ago, rough cut said:

If I am supposed to pay, I’m entitled, so p*ss off with your snide comments, unless you’ve got something intelligent to say.

What’s the point in censoring your own post if we all know what you’re saying? Dramatic effect?

You sound silly. 

I think it’s interesting that none of you seemed to have read my post?

I don’t take the Batman 4K as fact, and explicitly write so, but rather as an example.

There was a similar occasion when HDtracks erroneously uploaded tracks for The Star Wars Ultimate Collection in lower quality than advertised. That, however, is fact.

This is a concern.

Are the lot of you to daft to grasp the concept of a question and have a discussion about a certain topic?

If not, you should just bow out. Instead you make petty comments about entitlement and language - now that is entitlement - and silly - if nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I feel like it has to at this point, in order to compete with Xbox. 

It it has that and backwards compatibility it's a day one purchase for me.

Karol

Sony Pictures is taking votes on upcoming 4K releases.

Fill Out Survey Here

I voted for Jerry Maguire for the special release, followed by Looper, Snatch, and Tears Of The Sun for the others. My free vote was Weekend At Bernie’s 2. A guy can dream!

Those all sound like dreadful choices for 4k. 

Lost Horizon however...

I would like to see Columbia seperate from Sony. The Japanese who runs sony is a horrible person who has no love or appreciation for film, he just is in it for money and control.

Even Toy Story 1? Wasn't that originally rendered at like 720p or something close to that? 

16 hours ago, The Original said:

Are those movies any good?

Toy Story 1 & 2 are legitimately great. 3 has the same level of quality but upon reflection, it feels unnecessary. I have a feeling that 4 will turn out to be the same

On 6/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Toy Story 1 & 2 are legitimately great. 3 has the same level of quality but upon reflection, it feels unnecessary. I have a feeling that 4 will turn out to be the same

3 was better than 1 & 2. The first ir rather the least of the lot to me. 4 is the most beautiful in terms of artistry.