Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

"12"? "12"?! It was an "A" (that's "PG", in modern parlance), at the cinema. What's happened, to the world?!

The age label doesn't matter. Jaws, Alien, Halloween, ... They all have become movies to entertain the children while mommy and daddy are upstairs.  

What's left of the girl who's attacked at the start of the film, the pics in the book Brody looks at, the severed limbs/head, the 'fountain' of blood when the little boy on the float is attacked, what happens to Quint ... it's actually quite surprising that Jaws was given the 70s equivalent of a PG. 

They did tell Spielberg to shorten the shot of the leg falling to the ocean floor (originally it bounced a little or something), so there's that.

That scene, back-in-the-day Bond title sequences, the Basic Instinct interrogation scene ... ahhh, those frame-by-frame/pause buttons used to get put through their paces all right. 

11 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

And you see the girl's hairy fanny at the beginning.

Glorious in 4K UHD and Dolby Vision!

Karol

On 6/4/2020 at 9:06 AM, crocodile said:

No, I wouldn't waste money on that. It's almost twice the price and there is no extra content on the discs themselves.

Karol

So what did you actually think of the upgrade?

Definitely a bunch of kids partying after dark, and the body is found the following morning 

It doesn’t really matter, does it?

They color corrected the sky seen from the windows on Quint’s boat, when they have their drinking night (what a great scene by the way!), which is neat but I wouldn’t have noticed if they hadn’t pointed it out in the bonus features.

I guess they could use some CGI trickery for Chrissie’s death to make it more consistent, the same way George Lucas has been fiddling around with the binar sunset scene in Star Wars.

But nobody ever complained about that scene, that the shots didn’t match, or that the clouds were wrong... Actually, the opposite. That scene has always stood out as an identifying marker for Star Wars.

I don’t mind that they “fixed it”, it looks great, and it’s not like they replaced the stormtrooper’s blasters with walk-in talkies... ; ) But did they really need to change it?

That scene, that moment, is universally beloved, continuity errors be damned.

I guess I feel the same about Chrissie’s death.

DD47E0D4-51A6-4B9C-A2F3-7AC75B31FFDF.jpeg

Using new digital technology, Lucas and his creative teams at LucasFilm, THX, Skywalker Sound and Industrial Light & Magic have completely restored, enhanced and added to these classic movies.

To the surprise of actually no one it looks like Indiana Jones box set will arrive next year in time for Raiders' 40th anniversary.

I'm actually looking forward to revisiting those. I bought a Blu-ray box set cheap a couple of years ago and sold it without ever watching it. :lol:

Karol

I have that box. Released in 2012, I think I’ve watched it once.

I’ll still buy the 4K though.

I guess I’ll watch it once too, and then buy the 16K Ultra-UHD 50th anniversary box that will be released in 2031.

I still haven't opened my Indy box either, maybe I'll just sell it and use the money for the new boxset unless reviews say they botched the remasters.

I last saw the films in theaters, when a cinema in Boston did a marathon of the original trilogy back in, I dunno, 2011/2012ish

Our contact tells us that Paramount are keen to release new material with this boxset and we can expect at least some footage that was shot for the first four films that was cut but hasn't been shown before.

Good enough for me!

I watched TPM from the 4K UHD disc today. I had to fiddle around with the image settings until I could get it right when I finally disabled the HDR, then the image finally came alive. Seriously I have no idea what this HDR signal is doing to my tele, but it looks dull and muted. That pop that films are meant to have actually manifests when the damned HDR is turned off! How on earth is this user friendly for regular folks?

Other than that, there's a difference here from previous releases that's very subtle, but while the 1990s Fox logo has been reinstated, the "A News Corporation Company" subtitle is gone, which actually looks better this way anyway, since the Fox logo never had that subtitle before the 1994 logo was launched.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

We're "celebrating" Spielberg's WOTW now? Ugh.

One of his best films.😊

Rewatching it tonite.

Go watch TRON LEGACY😵😜

On 6/8/2020 at 2:15 AM, crocodile said:

We'll be watching this tonight:

IMG_20200608_101417.jpg

IMG_20200608_101350.jpg

Now if only we could get a LLL expansion later this month to complete the 15th anniversary celebrations. ;)

Karol

Does the score really, REALLY, NEED expanding?😳

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yes, one of my favourite cues is missing and I really hate the sequencing on the original album. 

Karol

I'm rewatching it tonite.

Can you pinpoint the scene with that cue?

Thanks.

P.s.

Agree about the sequencing but i never listen to the whole score

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm rewatching it tonite.

Can you pinpoint the scene with that cue?

Thanks.

P.s.

Agree about the sequencing but i never listen to the whole score

The album just doesn't make much sense musically, especially that horrid Escape from the Basket track. The complete score flows much better.

The cue that I really like is called Woods Walk (I think). But there are other things as well.

Karol

If you look at my Google Doc you can see where all the music recorded that isn't on the OST goes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QtG5OuCLOrQj4iYNUEBgIU81gH2q2USCDhqLQwzHLKY/edit?usp=drivesdk

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

One of his best films.😊

Rewatching it tonite.

Does the UHD make the film less grainy?

SS shot in a high contrast, grainy style ( like in MR) to give it a semi- documentary feel. But, the HD version is exceptionally grainy!

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I like to have the major themes represented.

I felt that the ost of MR accomplished this, so no need for the expansion.

Don't know if I would go for a 2cd WOTW

My WOTW playlist

Tt:43:34

I feel I've seen Starship Troopers by now. Not sure if Hereditary would still have the same effect on me during a second viewing. 

For me, Hereditary works better as a drama film than it does as twisty horror. Sort of as this perverted Bergman-esque film almost. So no, I'm not worried about that. Plot is the last thing I'm interested in there. Same with Midsommar really (which, by the way, has one hell of a 4K Blu-ray transfer).

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

For me, Hereditary works better as a drama film than it does as twisty horror. Sort of as this perverted Bergman-esque film almost. So no, I'm not worried about that. Plot is the last thing I'm interested in there.

Same for me, it was mostly the drama approach that shocked me. I actually expected a conventional horror flick with lots of jump scares and people doing stupid things. Those might be fun but the horror never feels real. Conventional horror is amusing. It's more like visiting a haunted house attraction. Not so with Hereditary.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You really don't find plot important in drama? 

In twist-filled stories plot seems to be the main attraction but in some films, like this one, I am more interested in the staging of it. The mood and such. In this case, what happens is not as important to me.

13 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Same for me, it was mostly the drama approach that shocked me. I actually expected a conventional horror flick with lots of jump scares and people doing stupid things. Those might be fun but the horror never feels real. Conventional horror is amusing. It's more like visiting a haunted house attraction. Not so with Hereditary.

Yeah. He is also quite good at evoking certain moods and anxieties. He's one of the few filmmakers working today who can make films that are hard to pigeonhole. Love them or hate them, but at least it's hard to describe them under one label. The most interesting things about both Hereditary and Midsommar have nothing to do with horror genre. And a lot of these things tap into very real kinds of internal terrors. I had the most unfortunate cinema experience watching the latter because it literally gave me an anxiety attack and I had to leave halfway through. I couldn't quite tell you why but I really felt main character's isolation and that is quite rare. Never happened to me before. The mechanics of the plot had nothing to do with it because a) there wasn't that much of it in there, b) we already know where this is going.

Karol