Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Universal is releasing its 4 1930's horror Classics, Ddacula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and the Invisible Man on 4K. 

Call me skeptical but how much better can these old grainy films look? 

Will I buy them? Most likely if the reports of  picture quality demand it. 

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Call me skeptical but how much better can these old grainy films look? 

35mm film tends to resolve a fair bit more than 2K, and even if it didn't, making a transfer that has more defined grains tends to make it look sharper. So there probably will be a benefit. Will it be big? Probably not.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm holding out for 16K.

Why not hold out for ~k.

The US And UK military are spending enormous amounts of money on holographic technology. But they too uses pixels

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh I know my Titanic DVD well. Even with the PAL speedup and shit I'm not upgrading from my 4 disc set until we get a release in the theatrical aspect ratio without the blanket tint.

Does the open matte 2D Blu-Ray have the same tint as the 2:39:1 version?

25 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Does the open matte 2D Blu-Ray have the same tint as the 2:39:1 version?

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=935850

Yep. All those brand new whites mushed to green, those blue skies pushed to teal, those skins unhealthily yellowish... :pukeface:

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=935850

Yep. All those brand new whites mushed to green, those blue skies pushed to teal, those skins unhealthily yellowish... :pukeface:

Based on your comments about Star Wars preservations, you must know there are some Titanic preservations that attempt to deal with the tint issue. I haven't seen any (I like the film, but I'm not a big enough fan for the Blu-Ray grade to bother me), but you might want to have a look at some of those if you haven't already.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:38 AM, Koray Savas said:

I’ll believe it when I see it! :P

Criterion just announced their first six 4K titles via their email newsletter:

• Citizen Kane
  • Menace II Society
  • The Piano
  • Mulholland Drive
  • The Red Shoes
  • A Hard Day’s Night

On 8/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Criterion just announced their first six 4K titles via their email newsletter:

• Citizen Kane
  • Menace II Society
  • The Piano
  • Mulholland Drive
  • The Red Shoes
  • A Hard Day’s Night

Hoping they'll eventually work their way through the Kurosowa's.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Samsung Q60 4K TV and am going to buy a blu ray player. Is there any upside to buying a player that does 4K upscaling over a regular blu ray player? I don't plan on updating my blu ray collection and buying UHD blu rays and don't have the budget for such a player.

I was looking at this one:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-spelare/bdp-s6700

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Watch it and you'll find out what nobody here has ever talked about. 

...which is what, Alex?

HDR? Washed-out image? Advertising for Panasonic, and H.M.V.? How to set up your telly? Fading spines?

That was twelve minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

- Film Fade/Rot & Close Encounters (only Steef and I discussed this)

- FX on the VHS tape look fake, FX on the Blu-ray look fake, FX on the 4K look amost real (why did nobody here bother to share that?!)

- Too bright but there's a remedy (idem) 

- Look at the background .... Could he be Gruesome?

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the film racist?

No, of course not.

There's not a cinematic racist bone, in Spielberg's body.

@rough cut is right: it's just clickbait, but it's not @AC1's fault.

Often, one clicks on something, in order to gain fresh, new insight, into a subject, and, instead one gets a dry, dull, unemotional, uninvolving 

opinion of it, devoid of any real passion, and excitement. This video is no exception.

Huh? He obviously loves the film and the music. He even has 8mm promotion reels. His short video isn't about offering new, fresh insights on the movie, it's about the picture quality of the 4K release, and what he said about it made me want to buy this disc. 

What's wrong with you people?

Mad Max Anthology (4K Ultra HD)

Mad-Max-e1632896508745.jpg

This set will include Mad Max (1979), Mad Max: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985), and Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). As many of you know, the first film and the final one have already been released previously on the format, but The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are new to UHD. They’ve been scanned from original camera negatives and remastered in a process supervised by the team at Motion Picture Imaging (MPI). All four will feature HDR10 high dynamic range. All but the original Mad Max (1979) will feature Dolby Atmos audio. Some of the previous Blu-ray special features for each film will carry over. SRP is $89.99. Mad Max: The Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome will also be available separately that day in 4K UHD (SRP $33.99 each). You can see the cover artwork above left and also below (the titles are now available for pre-order on Amazon).

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/092821-1600

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 9:43 PM, bruce marshall said:

Why can't the studios just release their ' product' as is, when they ' upgrade' to blu ray?

Our filmed heritage is being mutilated by remixes, cropping/reframing/enhancing  and other atrocities.

Fuck ' em!😠😡

Worst offenders:

BUFFY

THE WIRE

KUNG FU (DVD)

FROM EARTH TO THE MOON.

LONESOME DOVE....

It still doesn't need to.be " improved"😠

I have good news- I think

Looks like FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON is being reissued on DVD, in its original form.

Maybe, someone here can confirm this.

Screenshot_2021-10-19-20-47-04.png

• 1 month later...

Got this today and about to start watching. I love this film and can't believe it's 20 years old now. For anyone wondering, this and the US Criterion edii are identical. Both labels collaborated on creating this new transfer. 

20211206_131546.jpg

Karol

• 4 weeks later...

Sony announced the new "Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection". I'm tempted to get it solely for this curiosity:

• Rare 114-minute Preview Cut of the Film (in Standard Definition) – an unearthed early cut of the film with alternate takes, additional scenes, early effects and more, with optional commentary by associate producer Joe Medjuck and editor Sheldon Kahn

Does it have the extras that was included on the previous 4K steelbook release of the first two? I was tempted to buy that, but hesitated as a result of already owning the films.

I wonder if the early cut has the unused portions of Bernstein's score in the sound mix, knowing how that's where much of the conflict came between him and the filmmakers.

56 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Does it have the extras that was included on the previous 4K steelbook release of the first two? I was tempted to buy that, but hesitated as a result of already owning the films.

According to the description, it will have all of the previous extras

56 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I wonder if the early cut has the unused portions of Bernstein's score in the sound mix, knowing how that's where much of the conflict came between him and the filmmakers.

Yeah, I wondered that too