Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a 4K player any time soon. They are too expensive for the amount of movies that are available and that I'm interested in.

I noticed that th samsung 9700 increased in price during the holidays. I was not going to spend 500 dollars on it. I was able to purchase the 9500 series for 200 dollars on sale, allegedly 50 % off. 

I read today a 4K Ben Hur will be coming this year. I do not think this is problematical at all since the restoration for blu ray was actually completed in 8k

6 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I read today a 4K Ben Hur will be coming this year. I do not think this is problematical at all since the restoration for blu ray was actually completed in 8k

About seven years ago, I was reading a tech magazine article written by an editor complaining that it's pointless for a movie like Ben-Hur to be released in 4K because "it wasn't shot in 4K". I immediately e-mailed him to inform him that older films like BH had been scanned at extremely high resolution, yielding an easy future-proofed 4K release at a later date. He replied with a surprise admission that he had no idea what he was talking about - at least he was a good sport about it.

Interesting that since I saw Loch Ness at the cinema, but it wasn't until later I learned that it was presented as a TV movie in the US.

Same thing happened with Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Received a theatrical release in international markets, but premiered only on TV in Australia and the US.

definitely not cinema, like Duel, its a tv movie. To say otherwise is fakenews

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

they are not Cinema

That's not a terrible thing, in my book, especially when I see what's generally playing in theatres. In the end, theatre, TV, or streaming, they are all movies. 

No point in an expensive cinema trip anymore when you can just set up your own THX certified experience at home in a customised room. And since they don't use actual film projectors in mainstream multiplexes anymore, there's little difference in presentation since it's all high res digital anyway.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And no annoying loud and distracting people!

only for people who are afraid to be around other people. Perhaps Belgians are rude and inconsiderate people and do not understand theatre etiquette

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And no annoying loud and distracting people!

Are Belgi really loud and obnoxious in cinema's? Over here that hasn't really been my experience.

Its awful in America though. Shocking really. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are Belgi really loud and obnoxious in cinema's? Over here that hasn't really been my experience.

Its awful in America though. Shocking really. 

sorry morlock you are very wrong, you don't know what the FUCK you are talking about

4 hours ago, dougie said:

Isn't it true that Americans applaud, cheer, boo and hiss at every opportunity in a cinema like it's a damn sport event? That'd give me the shits!

Rarely but people stood at the end of E.T. and Jurassic Park and applauded. Of course E.T. was a test audience so the filmmakers loved it.

6 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Before I stopped attending the cinema, I would have to call 1-800-PHONE-THX all the time to report rude American audiences detracting from my experience.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes thankfully! Going to the cinema in the USA is awful. 

One place even took orders for food WHILE the movie was playing!

Yours don't.  How primitive. 

7 hours ago, dougie said:

Isn't it true that Americans applaud, cheer, boo and hiss at every opportunity in a cinema like it's a damn sport event? That'd give me the shits!

They also shout to the characters, telling them what to do next or how badass they are, as if they are really there on a stage. It's a different culture.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

They also shout to the characters, telling them what to do next or how badass they are, as if they are really there on a stage. It's a different culture.

This is true! I sat next to an American "jock" who did just that. 

Rocky Horror is a staged show. Anyone who bitches about us a fucking tool. Its the way that film experiences go.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Neither of us are as bad as Josh500, it might go well.

True, it might. We're only on this planet for a short time, and in that while we have to make the most of it without dumping our beer on our neighbors.

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Rocky Horror is a staged show. Anyone who bitches about us a fucking tool. Its the way that film experiences go.

The cinema experience is to sit there and be quiet so as not to disturb other patrons.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Agreed! It is wrong to respond emotionally to movies in a way that is noticeably to other people!

So you must not be scared in a horror film, you must not laugh in a comedy, and you must not cry in a drama. So basicalky E.T. the Extra-terrestrial should evoke no expression at all.

The Nolan fans on Jwfan seem to dislike that scene. I feel its earned. Spielberg knew its what the audience needed at that point. 

I cried at several points before that scene though. Its a deeply emotional film.

Have you ever cried during a movie, Alex?

21 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

So you must not be scared in a horror film, you must not laugh in a comedy, and you must not cry in a drama. So basicalky E.T. the Extra-terrestrial should evoke no expression at all.

Nothing wrong with that, but the cheering and hollering I've heard about is bizarre.

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Don't tell, you cried during the 'I could have done more scene', right? 

I laughed. It was a moment that nearly ruined the film. I practically went into a diabetic coma.

22 minutes ago, dougie said:

Nothing wrong with that, but the cheering and hollering I've heard about is bizarre.

Why? Is emotional expression wrong in your country. I suppose cheering when the ship was destroyed in ID4 was inappropriate? Is this some bullshit machoism?

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Why? Is emotional expression wrong in your country. I suppose cheering when the ship was destroyed in ID4 was inappropriate? Is this some bullshit machoism?

People just want to concentrate on the movie without distractions. They've paid for it.

Just now, dougie said:

People just want to concentrate on the movie without distractions. They've paid for it.

In a theatre full of laughing or cheering folks the experience is enhanced. Going to the movies is a shared experience.