The "On the Conveyor Belt" appreciation thread

Josh500

Thanks, amigo, I feel a lot better now.

But well ya know, that kind of thing I'm a big sucker for, when things start off a little strange and only become more out of hand and stranger as they continue and snowball. Even though George Lucas didn't necessarily convey it in the best way, I do like that a simple trade dispute with two goofy dudes ultimately spins into a massive war leading into the destruction of a government and religion.

I also like The Next Generation episode where they are introduced to the Borg for similar reasons.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

This track is one of the many reasons I love the score for Attack of the Clones, and genuinely cannot fathom why it's so disdained, even in a "It's not bad, it's just the least good one" way. You ever have a day where you wake up and just feel "off" somehow, and it ends up setting the tone for the rest of the day as it keeps getting weirder and more out of control? That's what this track captures really well, that descent into the bizarre.

Well said! Agreed.

This piece is somewhat unique in JW's oeuvre. No other action piece sounds so circus-y, bizarre, and at the same dangerous and thrilling.

The Mine Cart Chase and Indy's Very First Adventure probably come the closest, in terms of tone and feeling.

The idea is very interesting, and the cue is pretty good, on my last listen of AotC, it really stood out as my favourite part. But what puts me off a little bit is how weak quiet and restrained the orchestration is at parts. It could become much, much more crazy, (and Star Wars is all about big bombastic brass) like many other great cues, but it quietly fidgets about for the most part, even in the finale, except for the big strikes, it feels like it's being held back (I feel the exact same way with Chase Through Coruscant, but at least we have CoS's Quidditch to execute the idea with its full potential). It's not a weak action cue by any means, but one of the weaker Star Wars action cues IMO because of that. But even though it again doesn't have a proper ending (like all other AotC cues, it just dissolves back into blandness), it does stand out while it lasts.

I bought a second copy of Attack of the Clones CD for this cue! I think it's a very good action cue. AotC is my least favourite score from the saga, but that doesn't mean that I don't think is an excellent score with great moments. I particularly love this small section in Jango's Escape:

I have been always a great fan of how Williams composes this kind of minor bits for Star Wars

19 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

I particularly love this small section in Jango's Escape:

You know, this part is not my favourite, but I like it a lot too. This reminds me of "To Cairo" from Raiders of the Lost Ark, especially the Middle Eastern sounding flavour there at the end.... Great stuff!

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Why was it a "bonus track". My CD (the blue one, with Yoda) said "secret hidden bonus track". First of all, a CD is a finite length, so how can OTC be "hidden"? Second how can a track be "secret", if it's advertised on the front of a f***ing CD?!

"Secret hidden" bonus tracks were a big thing, especially in the 1990s and early 2000s.  There would be a big gap of silence in the last track, followed by another song - often one that didn't really fit the tone of the album, or a one-off kind of dumb thing.

Another, even MORE secret hidden way to do bonus tracks is hiding them in the pregap - so the only way they can be accessed is by "rewinding" track 1.  The only film score I can think of that does this is Twin Peaks Season 2 and More, or whatever they called that one.  Kind of irritating, as - at least at the time - it was inaccessible by computer for conversion to MP3 etc.

If you put it on the cover, it's neither secret nor hidden!

On the Conveyor Belt is great, but I wish it had been stuck in the album instead of after the credits.

I love that track. It wasn't included on de OST release that was sold in Chile at the time.

The "hammer" part has always sound to me reminiscent of the "Danse Infernale", of The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky. Williams may have been inspired by this piece. 

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

In response to part 1 of this quote, no I will not be inactive in a few months because I care about JW. My opinion is that your set to get me off the site. Keep up the angry work.

Part 2- Wow because there were strong implications in your other posts.

Part 3- Nice paragraph. I like the passion, but you could stand to learn better punctuation. 

I'm not even going to try to decipher what you just said here.

"Better punctuation"? The irony. There are at least three grammatical errors in the above quote.

23 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I was completely unfamiliar with this cue, having only owned the regular OST and seeing the film a handful of times a long time ago. What a great cue, I've had it on repeat all day. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! 

I'll add that even in my early days on JWFan, it was threads like these that got me onto music that I otherwise wouldn't have listened to. So again, thanks @Josh500

You're welcome. :)

Hearing other people talk about and praise a certain piece is a wonderful way of starting to appreciate it yourself even more! I know, from long experience. 

I've always like "On the Conveyor Belt." One of the stronger tracks from the score. It would've sounded right at home on Raiders, especially the beginning. It was stupid back then to release it as a bonus track from a specialty retailer. I guess that was the thing to do back then. 

9 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Why didn't Episode 3 get "I Am the Senate" as a bonus track?:angry:

That would've been dope! Honestly I forget it's not on there; great track, would definitely have added that to my "groovy Williams" thread. 

Looking at the likes my post above got, I think people read it and thought, "Sunuvabitch! We can't let that Jerry have more likes!" :lol: Now I understand how the 2016 election played out....

23 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

I've always like "On the Conveyor Belt." One of the stronger tracks from the score. It would've sounded right at home on Raiders, especially the beginning. 

Agreed!

23 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

It was stupid back then to release it as a bonus track from a specialty retailer. I guess that was the thing to do back then. 

Stupid or not, they included it, and that's the main thing.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Agreed!

Stupid or not, they included it, and that's the main thing.

What I meant was that it should've been on every disc not just ones that Target received. Exclusive bonus tracks are wrong. I am glad too that we all get to enjoy the music now.

16 minutes ago, Darth Porkins said:

What I meant was that it should've been on every disc not just ones that Target received. Exclusive bonus tracks are wrong. I am glad too that we all get to enjoy the music now.

Yes, agreed.

It was just a stupid sales gimmick, I guess, just like the 4 different covers. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 4:27 PM, Josh500 said:

Some people post here not to discuss music and movies (or other topics), but just to unburden their own deep-seated psychological problems onto others, it seems. 

I am the former. I believe you could be the latter.

It's incredibly insulting for you to think I would stoop that low. I am unphased, yet still thankful of your very warm welcome to me on these forums Josh and John.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:57 PM, mstrox said:

"Secret hidden" bonus tracks were a big thing, especially in the 1990s and early 2000s.  There would be a big gap of silence in the last track, followed by another song - often one that didn't really fit the tone of the album, or a one-off kind of dumb thing.

Another, even MORE secret hidden way to do bonus tracks is hiding them in the pregap - so the only way they can be accessed is by "rewinding" track 1.  The only film score I can think of that does this is Twin Peaks Season 2 and More, or whatever they called that one.  Kind of irritating, as - at least at the time - it was inaccessible by computer for conversion to MP3 etc.

If you put it on the cover, it's neither secret nor hidden!

On the Conveyor Belt is great, but I wish it had been stuck in the album instead of after the credits.

Ah I have that CD. I'll have to try it.

8 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

You fool! I've been trained in your film score arts by James Horner!

*pulls out four 90s Horner OSTs"

Oh I don't think so. Eeyuuhh! 

*Launches Memoirs of a Geisha OST at your face*