Intrada found the original elements for Rare Breed and Story of a Woman

Jay

Here's a question for JWfaners:

You have secured the rights to record both THE RARE BREED, and STORIA DI UNA DONNA, and you have booked Air Lyndhurst, and the LSO, for five days, next week. You have Shawn Murphy lined up - fuck that - you have Giles Martin lined up as engineer, when you recieve a letter from JW, asking you not to record. He outlines his reasons for you not to record, but he signs-off by saying that, as you have acquired the rights, he cannot stop you.

What do you do?

I would comply if he gave me something else which he doesn't have a problem with, like arrangements which have never been recorded (Han Solo and the Princess, Harry Potter children suite, Harry's Wondrous World with alternate ending, Irina's Theme, The Face of Pan...)

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Well yeah, unless anything is stipulated in his estate, they could be released after he dies.

I put so much effort into paraphrasing this!

49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I would comply if he gave me something else which he doesn't have a problem with, like arrangements which have never been recorded (Han Solo and the Princess, Harry Potter children suite, Harry's Wondrous World with alternate ending, Irina's Theme, The Face of Pan...)

Are the concert arrangements of Hook part of the score recording at all? Or came they later?

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Next thing we'll hear that he doesn't want the complete Dracula to be released! :lol:

It would be quite insane to be okay with 1941 but not with Dracula.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Here's a question for JWfaners:

You have secured the rights to record both THE RARE BREED, and STORIA DI UNA DONNA, and you have booked Air Lyndhurst, and the LSO, for five days, next week. You have Shawn Murphy lined up - fuck that - you have Giles Martin lined up as engineer, when you recieve a letter from JW, asking you not to record. He outlines his reasons for you not to record, but he signs-off by saying that, as you have acquired the rights, he cannot stop you.

What do you do?

I'll record it, then I'll add UNAUTHORIZED in big on the CD cover!!!

Mar-ke-ting.

26 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are the concert arrangements of Hook part of the score recording at all? Or came they later?

I believe most of the concert arrangements (except for the Prologue?) are not on the OST. The five movement concert suite is included on the Williams on Williams album, but JW slightly revised The Face of Pan in 2013 with an added flute solo towards the end.

No concert arrangements were recorded at the time of recording the film score to Hook; That's why the OST is entirely an assembly of film cues (and songs).  The OST track called "Prologue" is actually just the teaser trailer cue re-titled (and at the wrong speed).  

I suppose you can count the end credit pieces as concert arrangements in a way, but neither of them were on the OST regardless (though both are available on the LLL set).

That's impossible; Like I said, no concert arrangements were recorded for Hook.  Other than the end credits.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's impossible; Like I said, no concert arrangements were recorded for Hook.  Other than the end credits.

What are the tracks on the WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS compilation, then?

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

And 'Why would he care about this?' is a very odd question regarding a composer who clearly cares deeply about his album presentation.

That's my point. If he wanted to put this music out there, I don't think he'd care whether there had been a re-recording or not.  And if he doesn't want it out there, I'm sure there are reasons other than there's a re-recording floating around.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought the children's suite was recorded during the original sessions?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

tumblr_inline_nsgpf3gqQb1tr7ck1_500.png

That's true; both Harry's Wodrous World and Diagon Alley got new endings in live performances.

The revised HWW ending was recorded at the HPCOS sessions and included on its OST, at least.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Those were recorded with the Boston Pops 5 years later

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that no concert arrangements of HOOK music existed. But you were talking about the time of release of the film/soundtrack. Sorry about that.

26 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I hope that Intrada, having confirmed the existence of The Rare Breed and Story of a Woman music elements, will at least see to it that they get digitised for preservation, so that the music will at least still exist in the future, if a release becomes possible for whatever reason.

Transfer now, release later, nice. ;)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

That is typically what happens.  I'm sure they are safely preserved digitally forever in Universal's archives now, waiting for the day they can be licensed.

Hopefully the same can be said for Horner's Volunteers and Young Guns, Barry's Year of the Comet and Goodbye, Lover, Bernstein's A River Runs Through It, Goldsmith's The Public Eye, and anything else Williams wrote (different studios, I know).

6 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

That's my point. If he wanted to put this music out there, I don't think he'd care whether there had been a re-recording or not.  And if he doesn't want it out there, I'm sure there are reasons other than there's a re-recording floating around.

I'm not sure you got my point :)

Which is that if there's a re-recording out there that Williams feels contains the primary idea that he wants out there, then in his mind there may be no need to release more.

The only good thing we know is that the music exists well preserved. I'm in particular happy for Thor on the STORY OF A WOMAN. The RARE BREED is another holy grail of mine and perhaps when Williams is in a better mood we just might have him surrender to these. 

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I wonder if anyone has searched or found any Williams TV music.

Some of it is even better than his early film scores.

Oh, absolutely. A CD box of ALCOA music, for example, would blow even some contemporary scores out of the water.