Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

On 3/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, Evanus said:

Yeah, it's official: https://amblin.com/movie/jurassic-world-dominion/

Hopefully this means the logo will use the original colors as well.

Gonna be in the minority here, but I actually hate it. Just trying to disguise this film to seem more appealing to those who liked the originals. Seems like a silly ploy to get people back and it doesn't fit with the marketing of the other two films in the slightest.

I liked when I was young, then I watched it again last year on Prime... ugh. 

It has great action scenes and, of course, a stellar score by JW, but the story is confusing and boring.

Still, it's the third best Jurassic movie, behind the original and the first World (which I think is a decent blockbuster).

11 minutes ago, Evanus said:

TLW is great! 

The score is. The movie... no. Again just a bunch of braindead morons running around in uglier looking places than the first one.

19 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Williams left JP to do more Star Wars crap, so screw him.

It's funny to think that since abandoning the Jurassic Park franchise, Williams went on to score TWO Star Wars trilogies.

Let's face it, by his schedule the only JP movie he could've done was probably the third, and that if he managed to score it before going to do HP 1.

For the Jurassic World franchise, he was already too busy with Star Wars.

• 2 months later...

Oh no.

The only way the "Dinosaurs set loose on the planet" plot could have worked was either as the concluding chapter or, maybe, as the one immediately preceding it.

But then, I have no plans on watching it whatsoever, so what do I care?

If that was what we got from the get go (at the very latest, by the end of the first film), it would be a different series alltogether.

Dunno about more interesting. At least Jurassic Park was an interesting spin on the creature-feature, whereas the "monsters everywhere!" type of film that they're now aiming at...

There are parallels (maybe intended?) between a story arc about learning to live with deadly dinosaurs and our current reality of learning to live with deadly covid-19. Both situations involve adapting to a new normal. 

I have next to no expectation of the Jurassic World creative team making a clever comment or allegory about this for us popcorn-munching bunch, but it’s nice to think about the possibility.

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING will EVER top Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Jurassic Park III was..."okay." Jurassic World was, at the very least, better than Jurassic Park III. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is, to be honest, a mixed bag for me; overall, it was entertaining, but there are some plot issues I'd rather not go into (*cough*"certain character decisions and actions*cough*). Did Colin Trevorrow not say that Jurassic World: Dominion would be the culmination? Now, Frank Marshall is saying that it is NOT. With Sam Neil, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum reprising their respective roles for Dominion, I was looking forward to this film and hoped this would be the final film. Though, I had wishful thinking that Maestro John Williams would score Dominion, but that is not happening (plus it is better that he do the music for Indiana Jones V)

The concept of dinosaurs let loose on the mainland and potentially spreading across the globe WAS alluded to by Michael Crichton himself, and the way Fallen Kingdom ended set up something interesting, which was then teased in the short film Battle At Big Rock. Dominion SHOULD be the conclusion. However, with Frank Marshall claiming otherwise, I don't see what more can be done. I'm done.

Whoever enjoys future movies after Dominion, good for them. I'll be done after Dominion.

Now that I think about it, I re-watch Jurassic Park and The Lost World more often than ANY of the other films. I grew up with those two films, not just as a kid who was legitimately fascinated by dinosaurs and still am, but as someone who really was amazed at the achievement those two films accomplished. What Steven Spielberg and all involved did was phenomenal (and that includes the Maestro's scores). I barely revisit Jurassic Park III, and only occasionally re-visit the Jurassic World films.

I just don't know...

Jurassic Park - 10/10

The Lost World - 9.5/10

Jurassic Park III - 6/10

Jurassic World - 7/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 6.5/10

Battle At Big Rock - 7.5/10

All I know is either way, I am finished with the "Jurassic Saga" after Dominion.

58 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

There are parallels (maybe intended?) between a story arc about learning to live with deadly dinosaurs and our current reality of learning to live with deadly covid-19. Both situations involve adapting to a new normal. 

I have next to no expectation of the Jurassic World creative team making a clever comment or allegory about this for us popcorn-munching bunch, but it’s nice to think about the possibility.

They could salvage the secondary plot for the lost world novel where the dinosaurs had a disease...that could pass.onto humans...

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING will EVER top Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Jurassic Park III was...okay. Jurassic World was, at the very least, better than Jurassic Park III. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is, to be honest, a mixed bag for me; overall, it was entertaining, but there are some plot issues I'd rather not go into (*cough*"certain character decisions and actions*cough*). Did Colin Trevorrow not say that Jurassic World: Dominion would be the culmination? Now, Frank Marshall is saying that it is NOT. With Sam Neil, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum reprising their respective roles for Dominion, I was looking forward to this film and hoped this would be the final film. Though, I had wishful thinking that Maestro John Williams would score Dominion, but that is not happening (plus it is better that he do the music for Indiana Jones V)

The concept of dinosaurs let loose on the mainland and potentially spreading across the globe WAS alluded to by Michael Crichton himself, and the way Fallen Kingdom ended set up something interesting, which was then teased in the short film Battle At Big Rock. Dominion SHOULD be the conclusion. However, with Frank Marshall claiming otherwise, I don't see what more can be done. I'm done.

Whoever enjoys future movies after Dominion, good for them. I'll be done after Dominion.

Now that I think about it, I re-watch Jurassic Park and The Lost World more often than ANY of the other films. I grew up with those two films, not just as a kid who was legitimately fascinated by dinosaurs and still am, but as someone who really was amazed at the achievement those two films accomplished. What Steven Spielberg and all involved did was phenomenal (and that includes the Maestro's scores). I barely revisit Jurassic Park III, and only occasionally re-visit the Jurassic World films.

I just don't know...

Jurassic Park - 10/10

The Lost World - 9.5/10

Jurassic Park III - 6/10

Jurassic World - 7/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 7/10

Battle At Big Rock - 7.5/10

All I know is either way, I am finished with the "Jurassic Saga" after Dominion.

Will you be watching any Jurassic movies after Dominion?

To be honest, the only movie on this franchise I consider great is the first one. I rewatched The Lost World that year and it really doesn't hold up. The action scenes are great, but the script is a mess.

JP3 is pretty bad. The first Jurassic World is an objetively bad movie, but I consider it very entertaining, just dumb popcorn fun. Fallen Kingdom on the other hand is just terrible. It would've been the worst movie I've seen in 2018, but Crimes of Grindelwald managed to be even shittier.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Will you be watching any Jurassic movies after Dominion?

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I am finished with the "Jurassic Saga" after Dominion.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

JP and TLW are in a league of their own.

Exactly!

• 1 month later...

I'm done with this " trilogy" after JWFK- one of the worst films of all time. SKULL  Island was better than that sung heap.

At the end of TLW there was a set up for JP3; the velociraptors loose in San Diego.

Why didn't they go with that?

At the end of TLW there was a set up for JP3; the velociraptors loose in San Diego.

Why didn't they go with that?

Btw didn't we just see ' dinosaurs' in the Arctic in KOTM?

It's amazing how many people missed it.

Even I did , the first time.

The reason the ship crashed was because the operator was killed. They dont explain how, but it's implied velociraptors snuck on board and killed them.

Watch the scene again .

Don't even think of arguing this point.😁

31 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's amazing how many people missed it.

Even I did , the first time.

The reason the ship crashed was because the operator was killed. They dont explain how, but it's implied velociraptors snuck on board and killed them.

Watch the scene again .

Don't even think of arguing this point.😁

Nope, it's worse than escaped raptors - it's implied the operators were killed by the T-Rex. 

No hint of raptors anywhere, and not much of a setup because the military would've killed any escaped dinosaurs...

Yeah somewhere I read that the script had them bring captured velociraptors overboard who then escape, kill everyone then get swept off by waves, but no indication that any of that was actually shot. As it is, it's implied the T-Rex broke out of that compartment, ate everyone in places where it wouldn't even fit, and locked itself back in. Spielberg really gave no shits with this one. Even if he was just thinking of how cool the hand on the wheel (and no person attached) shot would be, they could have watched back security camera footage for 10 seconds and 2 VFX shots afterwards or something.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Nope, it's worse than escaped raptors - it's implied the operators were killed by the T-Rex. 

No hint of raptors anywhere, and not much of a setup because the military would've killed any escaped dinosaurs...

How could the Rex have killed them? He was locked in the hold.

Look at the wounds....slit throats.

Rexx would chomp them.

I told you not to debate this!😁

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

How could the Rex have killed them? He was locked in the hold.

Look at the wounds....slit throats.

Rexx would chomp them.

I told you not to debate this!😁

He's not debating, that's really what the film winds up trying to imply even though it's an impossibility. Spielberg done goofed on that.

20 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

He's not debating, that's really what the film winds up trying to imply even though it's an impossibility. Spielberg done goofed on that.

Agreed.

The first time I watched it I thought the same thing.

I don't really mind.

The SD section was awesome ( PJ copied it in KK)