Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

On 7/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, Edmilson said:

What's the pride in doing your own stunts? You're basically showing that you're dumb enough to hurt yourself for real, for scenes that everyone knows are fake. 

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The SD section was awesome ( PJ copied it in KK)

Isn't that just what happens in the 1933 King Kong though?

king_kong_-_h_-_1933.jpg

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Isn't that just what happens in the 1933 King Kong though?

king_kong_-_h_-_1933.jpg

There was one specific shot where Adrian Brody backs up the car and speeds away from Kong that duplicates an identical scene in TLW

Guys, lets put this straight about the lost world. Onboard the ship, the t rex woke up and broke out loose from the harness it was restraining him above deck. Killed everyone on board, even if there are continuity issues or inverosimile places. But he could definately have killed the captain of the ship grabbing him while the person was clinging to the wheel. The rex got into the cargo bay supposedly pursuing some humans, and one dying person pushed the button to close the doors and died, thats why his hand was graping the controls.

There is nothing in the film that implies there were raptors in the ship. 

On 7/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Holko said:

Even if he was just thinking of how cool the hand on the wheel (and no person attached) shot would be

Unfortunately that severed hand is probably the most fake looking prop in the movie.

17 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Now you know why I put him on IGNORE!

Favor's been returned.

EDIT: It just occurred to me you're talking about ignoring gkgyver! That would make much more sense; everyone should ignore him. My apologies!

Now back to the topic at hand..

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How did you possibly think he was talking about you?

Yeah, I have no idea. Just a brain fart, is all. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck Dodgson. Give me Wayne Knight. Don't tell me his character's dead. This series has been dead countless times over and it's back to haunt us for the 4th superfluous movie. 

They can clone everything, including that snotty brat in the last movie. Clone Dennis Nedry and make it the central plot. That's a movie to watch, not the cumbersome and contrived tripe they put out, exhuming Sam Neill and Laura Dern. 

Does she have pink hair again? Will she be revealed to have been a lover of Bryce Dallas Howard? 

Why does the JP-franchise keep doing this, digging up minor characters from JP1 and making a big deal out of it.

These people were in the original for a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it-second and bringing them back is not like the second coming.

I hope this doesn’t become a thing. Otherwise, the next Star Wars movie will have this guy returning and the press release will be like ”You’ll NEVER guess who is back!

66E92323-B853-4310-B3A3-AEE91A3E4BDA.jpeg

Dodgson (the concept of, not the barely there character) - the corporate raider looking to steal InGen’s secrets - was very interesting, and at the time was the clear solution to a sequel (back when John Hammond’s Park was a noble but I’ll fated pursuit).  I’m not sure it makes much sense to include him 27 years later when Ingen essentially turned into a villainous organization and dinosaurs are already loosed on the mainland, but hey, we’re already four sequels into this thing so who really cares 

Dodgson was also the arch-villain of the novels and was severely downgraded to a minor appearance in the films, with his role in The Lost World being given to an entirely new character instead.

If Ingen is bankrupted in Dominion, then I would be willing to say it's taken them 5 films to give us a more faithful adaptation of The Lost World than Spielberg gave us the first time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Jurassic World: Dominion Cuts Back Malta Shoot After COVID-19 Surge

As production continues to get back on track for Jurassic World: Dominion, Deadline reports that the Colin Trevorrow-directed threequel has unfortunately been hit with another setback, just weeks after filming had officially resumed in the UK. Due to the sudden surge of COVID-19 cases in Malta, Universal Pictures is now forced to scale back its presence in the Southern European island by only allowing its second unit crew to shoot there in order to minimize or avoid any further health risks, especially when four crew members have tested positive for COVID-19 on the island.

Jurassic World: Dominion will have a significant presence in Malta with a second unit crew shooting there from the end of August through to September.” A Spokesperson from Universal said in a statement. “Working with an abundance of caution as we have done throughout this production, first unit will no longer shoot in Malta to keep our presence on the ground to a minimum. We’d like to thank the Maltese Government and Film Commission for all their support and we look forward to a successful shoot in this beautiful country.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1145958-jurassic-world-dominion-malta-shoot

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Matt C said:

The Batman gets pushed to 2022, now this. If this keeps up, there won’t be much to see in 2021. :(

Tons of movies from this year were pushed to 2021. The delay gives Trevorrow and the studio time to finish the movie without worrying about a crunched post production schedule.

Sucky news but it gives Giacchino a mountain of time to write the score and ILM room to breathe on the VFX. 

Who knows, maybe John will be so bored in iso he'll ask to score it. :P

I wouldn't want him to score what's more than likely going to be a pile of poo. A pile of poo with bits of corn and familiar characters dredged from their lives to take part in a fecal nightmare of unrelenting CG, terrible characters and writing that disgraces the name of Jurassic Park.

After this trilogy is done, everyone will look back on the original film fondly and relegate the World series to the same status as Lost World and JP3.

The film will be shit but John Williams could help legitimize it with the return of the old cast and all.  But it's not likely/worth the risk given the current environment.  In fact I don't even know if it's possible to write the score remotely without being a computer guy.  

Plus it's another franchise reboot, probably where they kill the original cast for shock value

Scores have started recording again, albeit sometimes with appropriate distancing and even remotely (like Giacchino's new album and Tenet IIRC).

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Plus it's another franchise reboot, probably where they kill the original cast for shock value

They can't kill them off, they need to hang around for the photo op at the end!

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'd like to think all 3 of the original trio will survive this film, just as a subtle middle finger to what happened on the SW sequels.

That would be neat

JW2 I could not believe how stupid that was. There was this super power artificial army dinosaur that everyone was afraid of and it didn't manage to catch a little girl running from it in a straight aisle. Good for the girl, bad for the movie. 

I am not gonna watch the 3rd one unless my kids force me to. The pattern "bring back the director of the 1st fim to save the trilogy" sounds top painful familiar.

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't get the hate for Fallen Kingdom. I really enjoyed it!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate it. It's more visionary than its predecessor, for sure (given that Bayona is far more talented than the hack Trevorrow), and - like its predecessor - is a pretty wellmade and entertaining creature feature. I just think that the WORLD movies betray the legacy of the original JP trilogy in several ways. And from what I've read of DOMINION, and the fact that Trevorrow is back in the director's chair, it doesn't bode well for that either.

My ideal JP movie would be taking it back to its basics - the story of a single person trying to survive on one of the islands. A kind of CAST AWAY meets JURASSIC PARK. That I'd be excited about, rather than greedy corporations and military warfare and what-have-you.

Aside from the awful auction, I think I enjoyed Fallen Kingdom's premise more - especially the sequences involving the Raptor Hybrid in the house. 

Satisfaction is a matter of expectation. I the first JP movie Spielberg managed to introduce the dinosaurs as really threatening. You were sitting there and knew one false move and they are dead. That was really thrilling. And this thrill is something that I expect from such a movie. But in JW2 you saw a super dinosaur that everyone in the movie called most dangerous, but, as I mentioned, latest in the scene where the little girl was running from it and didn't get caught I as a viewer thought that really doesn't work. And there were many of such moments in the movie.

If I just expect dinosaurs in situations with humans doing ... things, then I might be satisfied watching it. Yes, there are entertaining aspects of the story, but the thrill was absent, which would be ok, if not permanently the characters in the movie would tell and pretend that it was there. Really, the core of these movies to my mind is to make these hunter bait escape scenes really work. The last jurassic movie where that worked was the first Jurassic Park and partly in the Jurassic World. Therefore these to are for me the best of the series.

The only sequel that works for me is The Lost World which (although they try to establish a smaller exhibition in San Diego) felt like it was trying to do something different. My problem with these World films is that they don't really have any clear objective or goal in mind other than to exploit the audiences' nostalgia for the original film. So many original ways they could've gone and what's baffling to me is how Spielberg was down for it.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Maybe I need to watch it again to work out what everyone hates so much. Great direction, score and visuals.

Me too. I liked every aspect of it more than the first, including Giacchino's score.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Maybe I need to watch it again to work out what everyone hates so much. Great direction, score and visuals.

worst aspect to me is that it's just boring. It's overstimulating. No suspense. The score drowns the film, because almost every minute is accompanied by music. And way too much characters.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

EjrTguwVcAArMqF?format=jpg&name=medium

I love the attention to detail in that logo! The amber yellow is a clever nod to the original yellow JP logo, but the use of amber itself is obviously a clever metaphor for the series itself. Also a refreshing new "element" for the logo to be made from, after JW & JWFK kinda lazily rehashed the metal/rock textures used for TLW/JP3 (JWFK really should've been volcanic rock with glowing lava or something).

And all of 3 people will probably notice, but whoever designed that logo was a student of the series because the cracks around the edges match those in the TLW logo!

ceb6cff7171f5fb603405c7559c0d251.jpg

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I love the attention to detail in that logo! The amber yellow is a clever nod to the original yellow JP logo, but the use of amber itself is obviously a clever metaphor for the series itself. Also a refreshing new "element" for the logo to be made from, after JW & JWFK kinda lazily rehashed the metal/rock textures used for TLW/JP3 (JWFK really should've been volcanic rock with glowing lava or something).

And all of 3 people will probably notice, but whoever designed that logo was a student of the series because the cracks around the edges match those in the TLW logo!

Agree. They are actually good at making logos. Not necessarily good at making new movies. But the logos are brillant.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

My ideal JP movie would be taking it back to its basics - the story of a single person trying to survive on one of the islands. A kind of CAST AWAY meets JURASSIC PARK. That I'd be excited about, rather than greedy corporations and military warfare and what-have-you.

That type of movie is what Jurassic Park III should have been. The whole “will they find their kid on the island?” premise was clearly a feeble one... they were never going to stumble over his half eaten corpse having discovered that no, he didn’t survive. Seeing how the kid did survive would have been a great movie. Perhaps running his story in parallel to that of his parents trying to get to the island then they all escape together at the end. Or something. Either way, I really love Don Davis’ score.

JW: Fallen Kingdom was fun but it was essentially batshit crazy.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Scores have started recording again, albeit sometimes with appropriate distancing and even remotely (like Giacchino's new album and Tenet IIRC).

They can't kill them off, they need to hang around for the photo op at the end!

If for some reason Trevorrow wanted Williams back instead, Williams can write the score and have Ross conduct the sessions (ie Star Wars: Galaxy's EdgeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That type of movie is what Jurassic Park III should have been. The whole “will they find their kid on the island?” premise was clearly a feeble one... they were never going to stumble over his half eaten corpse having discovered that no, he didn’t survive. Seeing how the kid did survive would have been a great movie. Perhaps running his story in parallel to that of his parents trying to get to the island then they all escape together at the end. Or something. Either way, I really love Don Davis’ score.

Sounds to me like James Cameron's Aliens with dinosaurs. Yeah, but why not?

14 hours ago, Bayesian said:

The Batman gets pushed to 2022, now this. If this keeps up, there won’t be much to see in 2021. :(

This is how it'll go: we'll watch the 2020 movies in 2021, the 2021 movies in 2022 and the 2022 movies in 2023.

6 minutes ago, Matt C said:

If for some reason Trevorrow wanted Williams back instead, Williams can write the score and have Ross conduct the sessions (ie Star Wars: Galaxy's EdgeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).

There's zero chance of Williams returning. Besides, I think Giacchino should round off the trilogy regardless of how much he's reviled.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Sounds to me like James Cameron's Aliens with dinosaurs. Yeah, but why not?

Hah yeah I guess it does. But I think it would have felt like a more original approach than a lame “will they or won’t they” find him narrative. Bit like The Search for Spock really. “Sorry Jim, he’s not here” “Oh well Bones, I give up.” Cue James Horner. 

24 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Yeah it was feeble and kind of a lame excuse to rope Grant into it all. I feel as if they should've played on what The Lost World set up and have some type of foreign power fighting for control of the island (now that it's a preserve established by Hammond). Some hunters going in there for sport and kidnapping Grant to serve as their guide (like how the Russians get Indy in KotCS).