Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

Wasn't the original plan for JP3 that Grant was living on the island in secret, studying the dinosaurs in their natural habitat?

I could see some variation of this idea in Dominion, seeing as they've gradually introduced most of the concepts from that controversial abandoned Jurassic Park 4 script (trained raptors, dinosaurs used for military combat, hybrids, the secret mansion on the mainland with a laboratory, dinosaur/human genetic experimentation, even Owen as the main character name). 

Spielberg has been pushing these crazy concepts for years. It was definitely a bridge too far for the 4th film but worked better over the course of a trilogy. He really, really wants to push the dino warfare angle. 

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wasn't the original plan for JP3 that Grant was living on the island in secret, studying the dinosaurs in their natural habitat?

Was it? If so, I'd have wanted to see that. But I love JP3 just the way it is -- much better than any of the WORLD movies. As someone else mentioned earlier, I've also always wanted to see a whole movie about the kid surviving on the island for weeks.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Spielberg has been pushing these crazy concepts for years. It was definitely a bridge too far for the 4th film but worked better over the course of a trilogy. He really, really wants to push the dino warfare angle. 

Is that Spielberg's idea? I thought it came from Trevorrow.

Nope, all that stuff is in the leaked Jurassic Park 4 script from 2004 by John Sayles. Joe Johnston was working with concept artists on designs, which eventually leaked years later.

The script itself was abandoned after someone on Ain't It Cool News posted a "review" of the first draft and ruined all the surprises. Spielberg was apparently furious and the film went back into development hell. 

Following Jurassic Park 3, the idea was to push the sequel into bold new territory. The same basic concepts of Jurassic World existed then: hybrids, ex-military protagonists, and dinosaurs created for military application. However, the shape these concepts took were drastically different. The militarized animals were quite literally dinosaur soldiers, hybridized with human and canine DNA.  And from the latest art, it turns out there were cyborg human/raptor hybrids as well. 

https://www.jurassicoutpost.com/new-art-cancelled-version-jurassic-park-4/

So it all pre-dates Trevorrow's arrival. Unclear whether Spielberg pushed hard to get these ideas in the new trilogy but it makes sense if he was the one pushing them back in the mid-2000s.

Well, that's disappointing. My CAST AWAY/JP idea is much better -- sufficiently different from the preceding movies to be interesting, yet still within the general philosophy. The moment they dragged miltarized animals and whatnot into it, it was lost.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:16 PM, Thor said:

Well, that's disappointing. My CAST AWAY/JP idea is much better -- sufficiently different from the preceding movies to be interesting, yet still within the general philosophy. The moment they dragged miltarized animals and whatnot into it, it was lost.

Have to agree there.

REALLY don't see the point of militarized animals in there.

Hated it the second I first heard about it. Watching JW 2 did not change my mind.

It's conceptually bad on the same level as aliens in an Indiana Jones film.

Survival in The Lost World sounds super cool though.

Somebody please make that film! It's got quite the potential for a classic adventure.

A "test" where you pick and choose if you want it to be negative or positive is such a laugh 😂 

Negative? Test again. Oh it's positive now, better quarantine. 

Positive test? Test again. Oh, it's negative now, but better quarantine. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why did Universal pushed the movie's release to 2022 if it already finished shooting? My guess is for commercial reasons: next year Universal will have Fast and Furious 9 and Minions 2, so they are already guaranteed for 2021. So, they needed a big blockbuster for 2022. It's the same reason why HP6 got pushed from 2008 to 2009, since in 2008 they already have The Dark Knight.

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of movies that are completed and near completed, and the studios are just sitting on them until it's financially feasible to release them.  They're not just gonna dump em all at once, so they'll just keep backloading the schedule (and then keep pushing the entire schedule back by months if theaters don't open up...)

I was honestly happy they pushed it back. Can't help but feel some aspects of the film would have been rushed otherwise since filming was delayed (since originally even though filming was delayed they didn't touch the release date at all), despite being completed now. Especially since they are hyping up this film to be a big deal with the original cast as lead characters, I would hope they would spend a lot of time with special effects on this one. But yeah, you guys nailed the true reason I am sure for why it was delayed a year. But having more time to fine tune it will be a nice additional aspect. Hell, I am sure there will still be reshoots, as with most films there are. And now they have a whole year almost to do them, haha. Maybe some things could be reshot that may have been filmed a different way due to the pandemic when things are safer?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll spare making a new thread and just place it within this one since this is where all the current interest in Jurassic is at. I just released today a new video showcasing an early original version of JURASSIC PARK: THE RIDE for the first time. It includes original music by Caleb Burnett, who I instructed to reference the John Williams themes. ;) You guys may enjoy it.

2 hours ago, scallenger said:

I'll spare making a new thread and just place it within this one since this is where all the current interest in Jurassic is at. I just released today a new video showcasing an early original version of JURASSIC PARK: THE RIDE for the first time. It includes original music by Caleb Burnett, who I instructed to reference the John Williams themes. ;) You guys may enjoy it.

That looks like it would have been pretty amazing if the animatronics were effective... whatever happened to it? Fun mix of quotes from the original and Giacchino scores too.

Well originally the animatronics looked decent! As you can see here:

But by its end... things looked a bit sour, and half the things weren't working correctly:

After the ride closed in 2018 when the above video was shot, it then transformed into a Jurassic World ride. It kept some of what you see, but changed a lot of the aesthetics.

The current Jurassic World variation is a mixed bag of improvements and detriments. However, I have heard that when the park reopens, the ride has been updated a little further to improve some of the issues people had.

And glad you liked the music! He certainly had fun composing/adapting it!

• 1 month later...

“To me, [Dominion] is a culmination of one story that’s been told,” Trevorrow said. “When you got to the end of the Jurassic Park trilogy, it may not have been as clear in what the complete story of those three movies was because they were a bit more episodic in the way that they were approached. But this trilogy is not that way. It’s very much a serialized story. What was important for me was, when you watch Dominion, you really feel like you are learning how much of a story that first set of movies was and how everything that happened in those movies actually informs what ultimately is able to happen in this. If kids who are born today are going to be presented with six Jurassic Park movies — you hope the parents will buy them the box set — you hope they are going to get to feel like they watch one long story.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1161009-colin-trevorrow-jurassic-world-dominion-will-be-a-culmination-of-the-entire-franchise

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bryce Dallas Howard is the granddaughter of the T. Rex in the first movie!!!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

If kids who are born today are going to be presented with six Jurassic Park movies — you hope the parents will buy them the box set — you hope they are going to get to feel like they watch one long story.”

Meh, I'd rather just watch with my (still unborn) kid the first movie, and then go to another franchise. All that came after JP1 is various levels of crap.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, the last time I heard such a statement it came from JJ Abrams in preparation of Episode 9. That's not a good sign.

Trevorrow is a better filmmaker than JJ though 

7 hours ago, Datameister said:

The original is the only one that's indispensable, but I think there's still stuff to enjoy in all of them. TLW even retains the Spielbergian feel.

I’d probably rank them:

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

For me it's 

But I've found all the sequels enjoyable enough as dinosaur monster movies.

Yeah, I still get a kick out of watching them and will see 6 when it comes out. 

I’m enjoying Camp Cretaceous on Netflix at the moment. It’s a nice little bit of light entertainment. 

You know, this brings up an interesting discussion. So, I know quite a few people that actually like Jurassic World (4) quite a bit and place it higher than 3 and even higher than 2 as we can see above.

Personally, I find them to get worse as the series goes and find World to be a hollow remake of the original Jurassic Park (with Fallen Kingdom being a hollow remake of The Lost World at it's core). What I find interesting is: Some of the people that I know personally that don't mind Jurassic World...do mind The Force Awakens because it's "just a remake" of ANH. So...what is the difference for people?

Oddly enough I am in the reverse camp where I don't really care for any of the new ones (save for the music) and them to be the hollow remakes, whereas I hold The Force Awakens in high regard.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is that the two Jurassic films Spielberg made are both awesome in different ways, and every sequel since is just a meh to fun dinosaur romp that I don't spend any time thinking about, but enjoy the music

With Star Wars I think all 5 movies Disney put out have fun parts in mostly meh storylines that largely waste the talents of great casts, but quite enjoy the music in 4 out of the 5.  The Mandalorian is a vastly superior product to the theatrical films and is the first thing to bring back the joy I felt when I discovered Star Wars in my teens since the original trilogy.

That's about as much thinking as I do about any of these flicks

15 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Absolutely he is not.

At least JJ Abrams movies look like actual movies.

As for rankings:

Good Jurassic Park Movies

1. JP 

Bad Jurassic Park Movies 

2. TLW 

3. JP 3

4. Fallen King 

5. JW

Oh I don't think too much about them either, but for some reason I am okay with Force Awakens and I'm not as okay with Jurassic World. Can't fully explain why. On some level, World feels like a more lazy and blatant ripoff I guess?

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Jurassic World is more openly cynical on a story level and is also photographed like a direct-to-netflix movie.  

Not to mention the CGI looks worse than the original film.

Jurassic World feel like from inception it was meant to be a sort of soft reboot of the series

The Force Awakens feels like Disney made a $4billion investment and wanted a theatrical feature in theaters by Dec 2015 at any cost, and as writing, production, and post production with executive tinkering went on it became more and more of a ANH retread, a "play it as safe as possible" relaunch

Interesting. I think of The Force Awakens as a soft reboot as well. I always felt like they were playing it safe from the start. Lol. 

Granted, I'm not nearly as into Star Wars as most people so perhaps there's things about the production that I'm not aware of. I certainly don't care about the "lore" as much as some people. 

I find Force Awakens still has a "spark" and seems to have a passion behind it and that's very important to me. I don't think necessarily Jurassic World was fulfilling a corporate agenda or purely to keep the rights or something, but it just feels wrong somehow and like I said before, more of a blatant ripoff. 

As an example, the shot when the kids open the curtains to a big sweeping shot of the new park and you hear the theme again...I just felt nothing.

The thing about Jurassic Park is that ultimately, any movie is going to follow the same fundamental formula. People think they're safe with dinosaurs, then the dinosaurs start eating them, then some of the people fend off the dinosaurs and survive. There's still a lot of wiggle room in the details, but the most basic concept is always the same. I don't view that as a criticism; they're fun monster movies, and that's not a bad thing. The original is one of my top favorite films.

But for me, Star Wars was never that formulaic, at least before TFA. ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, and ROTS each had a pretty unique plot. So TFA's approach definitely stood out to me, and not in a good way.

That being said, I think TFA does a much better job than Jurassic World when it comes to introducing new characters I actually remember and care about. And despite the fact that Abrams and friends used way more CG than they let on, the whole venture does bring the pioneering practical effects of the OT to mind. I like Jurassic World, but the dinosaurs don't feel as viscerally real to me as they do in the first two or three films, when animatronics were the first choice for bringing the creatures to life whenever possible.

I agree about the visceral-ness (viscerality?) of Jurassic World, but ultimately that wouldn't have mattered if the characters and tone weren't incredibly off-putting to me.  It felt very shallow and insincere.  It delighted in violence and death in a way the series had not before.

I hated that movie enough that I still haven't watched Fallen Kingdom.