Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

“As part of our celebration welcoming moviegoers back into theaters this summer, we couldn’t think of a more perfect way to say, ‘thank you’ to the hundreds of millions of Jurassic and Fast fans around the world,” said Jim Orr, President of Domestic Theatrical Distribution for Universal Pictures. “This first look at Jurassic World: Dominion that Colin and his team put together is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. Even better, there’s simply no more perfect place to experience both the Dominion Preview and F9 than on a massive IMAX screen. This really is the ultimate movie-fan experience.”

So Universal's way of saying "thank you" to Jurassic Park fans is hoping they'll buy an over-priced IMAX ticket to another Universal film they might not care about just to see five minutes of something (most likely with a temp music track & effects) they're going to eventually pay to see anyway? What's the next way they're going to "thank" us? Charging for trailers?

Here's my offer to Universal for their "thank you": Nothing. Not even the cost of the popcorn, which I'd appreciate if Trevorrow put up personally.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

So Universal's way of saying "thank you" to Jurassic Park fans is hoping they'll buy an over-priced IMAX ticket to another Universal film they might not care about just to see five minutes of something (most likely with a temp music track & effects) they're going to pay to see anyway? What's the next way they're going to "thank" us? Charging for trailers?

Here's my offer to Universal for their "thank you": Nothing. Not even the cost of the popcorn, which I'd appreciate if Trevorrow put up personally.

Many Star Wars fans bought tickets to movies they didn't care just to watch the teaser for The Phantom Menace in 98/99.

But yeah, something like that happening in 2021 is very bizarre.

That prologue seems promising. It would be great if it spinned-off some docuseries for netflix or something with ILM quality :)

I really hope that if the dinosaurs are meant to conquest the world again...it's becasue some disease that has been brought along with de-extinctioning them. That would be a nice comeback from The Lost World novel and de "disease X" mentioned there...

Yeah it's weird that entire subplot never surfaced in the films, given the way they've mined everything else.

I haven't read it for years but I recall that being a big plot point in Crichton's second book.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That prologue seems promising. It would be great if it spinned-off some docuseries for netflix or something with ILM quality :)

I really hope that if the dinosaurs are meant to conquest the world again...it's becasue some disease that has been brought along with de-extinctioning them. That would be a nice comeback from The Lost World novel and de "disease X" mentioned there...

Sounds like the Planet of the Apes all over again..

But with dinosaurs!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Wait, did an actual proper release of that get out?  Or just someone recording it from a theater seat with their cell phone?

I still want Giacchino's music for that clean

...I, uh... assumed that was common knowledge and already had made the rounds for some reason. No idea why.

The version I have sitting on my hard drive looks pretty good (with the exception of some off coloring and a bit of high contrast compared to the final film) and sounds fantastic. Certainly not a cell phone video. It's not 5.1 or anything, but it's a good stereo mix. Definitely direct audio. I honestly don't remember where I got it from. I think it popped up on Vimeo briefly before being removed.

Here's hoping the Dominion one pops up in a similar fashion someday. 

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Many Star Wars fans bought tickets to movies they didn't care just to watch the teaser for The Phantom Menace in 98/99.

But yeah, something like that happening in 2021 is very bizarre.

It's just their way of trying to get people back into theaters, in the US anyway, since everything is really ramping up to reopen everywhere soon. California, for example, is dropping most of its mandates in presumably a few days. And that was one of the most stringent states in the US when it came to COVID. So, the promise of something ONLY in theaters as a preview for a huge franchise, they are hoping it will bring people out to have a look.

Obviously I am excited and am going to see F9 mostly just to see it haha. So their tactic worked for this fan. Usually I wait for the "Fast" films to go to cheap theaters or just rent, but I guess this one will be an exception. And honestly, these days if I am going to see a movie at all may as well do IMAX anyway. The sound is always massively better, imo. And always very loud, so there's no chance I'll hear stupid teenagers behind me like in many normal theaters I've been in haha.

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

It's just their way of trying to get people back into theaters, in the US anyway, since everything is really ramping up to reopen everywhere soon. So, the promise of something ONLY in theaters as a preview for a huge franchise, they are hoping it will bring people out to have a look.

Yeah I'm a little less cynical about this strategy than others. No doubt there's self-interest at heart with finances for Fast 9 (or whatever it's called) but I'm not going to begrudge them. I'm sure it'll turn up online in a week for anyone who doesn't want to pay to see it.

I haven't seen a film in cinemas since TROS and haven't exactly missed it since. But seeing this news kinda makes me miss the vintage days of experiencing great movies in a darkened cinema.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I'm a little less cynical about this strategy than others. No doubt there's self-interest at heart with finances for Fast 9 (or whatever it's called) but I'm not going to begrudge them. I'm sure it'll turn up online in a week for anyone who doesn't want to pay to see it.

I don't begrudge them doing it...they want to get people in the cinemas after all, which is understandable, it's their business. And I understand wanting to create hype for the new Jurassic Park.  This is all run-of-the-mill Hollywood promotion, I get it.

But when they describe an act which is very much in their own self-interest as a "thank you" to fans when you're asking fans for money for that thanks...well, that's just ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

It would be like me saying, "As a thank you to @Ricard for JWFan, I'd like him to pay me to post here." (which actually isn't a bad idea now that I think about).

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It would be like me saying, "As a thank you to @Ricard for JWFan, I'd like him to pay me to post here." (which actually isn't a bad idea now that I think about).

There really should be financial incentives for posting on JWFan. We're providing all this quality content for free! :puh:

I am intrigued by this preview, although not enough to pay to see it in front of F9 (how the hell did the first one grow legs to make it this far, anyway??). I’m also curious if this will feature as the first few minutes of Dominion or is intended as a standalone feature on the blu-ray. 

Either way, I have great hopes for Dominion. After five movies taking place on islands (and one gloomy looking estate somewhere), we’re going to see what the world looks like when dinosaurs run free in it!

9 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I am intrigued by this preview, although not enough to pay to see it in front of F9 (how the hell did the first one grow legs to make it this far, anyway??).

Right?! To be fair, I think the "Fast" franchise did pick up in entertainment value by the 5th film, and continued to do so from that point on. Which hardly EVER happens... it's almost the reverse of what normally happens to a franchise. Once it knew how ridiculous it could go, it finally "learned to stop worrying and love the bomb."

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope its released worldwide on the net a few days after.

I highly doubt that. It will either never be released in the state that it's being shown in now or it'll come out after Fast 9 leaves theaters.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea what the source of this image is, but here's the first glimpse of the T-Rex design in JW:D.

Looks just like the Rexes in TLW, so they finally fixed the weird looking design in JW and FK. So much more menacing with the big protruding crests over the eyes!

220620157_933712630820708_7909928722768106186_n.jpg

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I have no idea what the source of this image is, but here's the first glimpse of the T-Rex design in JW:D.

Looks just like the Rexes in TLW, so they finally fixed the weird looking design in JW and FK. So much more menacing with the big protruding crests over the eyes!

220620157_933712630820708_7909928722768106186_n.jpg

Looks like she craps atom bombs too. I hear at this point that wouldn't be out of line for this franchise but that sounds like a cool weapon.

Rex looked fine in the last two, but this is a big improvement. Even has the more defined pattern like the og Stan Winston animatronic and all.

Haven't they found that T-Rexes actually had feathers? Regardless, I'm glad they're keeping the design of the previous movies. Would be bizarre if it suddenly popped up with feathers.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Haven't they found that T-Rexes actually had feathers?

Obviously that bit happened to be patched in with the bolivian sex changing frog DNA.

The Rex will have feathers in the prologue that takes place in the past. But yeah, any inaccuracies of the modern design were already explained by Wu in JW1. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, mstrox said:

I suspect this is the beginning of the movie, and not some separate prologue.

Yeah I see that, I was interpreting it as something separate.  But also I'm not going to watch it anyway because Trevorrow

22 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

I want a kids series of just the first part of that trailer. I want days of that footage. It's spellbinding.

The rest is stupid. 

Watch Disney's Dinosaurs. The only mistake they made in that one, was to let the animals actually speak like humans. If they would have left the language away and let just the images and the music tell the simple story this would have become the super cult movie by now. But this way it is just another dino film for kids. But the beginning of Dinosaurs without the language is marvelous. Better than this here.

OK I watched it anyway.  Trevorrow can't even fake a sense of reverence for the animals.

Regarding the score, funny that there's a Zimmer bwwwaaaaamp when the '65 Million Years Later' text appears.

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Regarding the score, funny that there's a Zimmer bwwwaaaaamp when the '65 Million Years Later' text appears.

Lost World had a bwahm cue ;)