Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

The prologue came at a very convenient time as I had just (literally yesterday) finished rewatching all movies in sequence. My low opinion of Trevorrow and Giacchino stands, and my lukewarm connection to the whole WORLD reboot, but I kinda liked the 65 million years in the past bit. The last bit connotes more THE LOST WORLD to me, and if the upcoming film is all just an extended "San Diego sequence", GODZILLA-style, I will be disappointed. I liked it more when it was just in the jungle.

(For the record, I absolutely adore THE LOST WORLD, but the San Diego bit presented just enough GODZILLA-isms to be tantalizing; I wouldn't want a whole film like that in the JP universe -- then I'd rather watch any of the recent GODZILLA films again).

Hmm, i expected more expectacularity…. The choreography… was a bit weird. What is the iguanodon doing in front of a sleeping giganotosaur….and before a waken tyrannosaur…. I would have put the mosquito landing on the tree sap to better reflect mr dna story….

didnt we agree that the oviraptor was incubating its eggs and not robbing a nest????? Its like perpetuating a misconception…

the music was very low mixed… maybe it is a temporary track. I miss that the film does not start woth the indominous motif like the other two…

8 hours ago, scallenger said:

Apparently this prologue is NOT in the film. If that also means the Drive-In portion, remains to be seen. Hear it from the director himself:

Yeah it seems it wont be part of the movie…but at times he says it is part of the film… maybe they changed their minds. Definately he says he is glad to share the scene now and not just show it to people in the bluray.

21 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thought the prologue lacked a strong through-line. I would have had the mosquito be the main focus and have it flit around with the camera following. 

I suspect it's a cut down version of whatever the film has. The film prologue probably ends with the mosquito landing on a tree and getting stuck in the sap, as speculated.

15 hours ago, scallenger said:

Apparently this prologue is NOT in the film. If that also means the Drive-In portion, remains to be seen. Hear it from the director himself:

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah it seems it wont be part of the movie…but at times he says it is part of the film… maybe they changed their minds. Definately he says he is glad to share the scene now and not just show it to people in the bluray.

I would think that releasing final footage of a highly anticipated movie over 7 months before the film’s release would not be in Universal Studios’ programming.

That was certainly the studios attitude’s according to director Colin Treverrow and composer Michael Giacchino, who introduced the screening of the final-cut prologue from 'JW: Fallen Kingdom' at the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC on May 30, 2018 during the world premiere of the JW-LTP concert.  They asked the audience to shut-off their phones during the screening. To make sure that request was followed during the screening of that sequence, security guards were walking along the rows and looking at audience members to make sure their phones were not exposed. 

I've had some experience with amber (which is basically fossilized sap), though. There's quite a bit of it on the island in Denmark where we've had our summer house for 40 years. So I've picked up a few of those rocks. Not a lot of insects in them, sadly.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote an article about this, haha. ;)

https://jurassicoutpost.com/empire-reveals-new-jurassic-world-dominion-atrociraptor-image-details

I like the idea of having vicious Raptors back in the film, but I think it's funny how the director makes it sound like something that is new. It's how they used to be in these films! LOL. Before anyone asks, yes, Atrociraptor is a real dinosaur despite its amusing name.

I comment how the image looks like something out of a James Bond movie, complete with a closing quip: "Do you think there’s just No Time To Die for Owen in this image, or is it an atrocity?". Yeah. I'm proud of that line. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Oh what a relief, I was so worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Rogue one and now this. What a day!

The story seems convoluted so i hope there is enough runtime for it to develop in a satisfying manner.

So, a male raptor appeared out there in the mainland, out of the "Blue".

Or she sprouted it asexually...

*(supposedly in the restricted area of jurassic world there were original nublar raptors...but they never showed or talked about them, so its possible Blue was fertilised before leaving nublar in fallen kingdom...)

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So, a male raptor appeared out there in the mainland, out of the "Blue".

Or she sprouted it asexually...

Or she mated with some West African frogs

Oh no!

They brought back the Alan Grant character. The world's dumbest dinosaur expert.

And, played by Sam " The Ham" O'Neill !

There goes any reality in the film😜😞

On 24/01/2022 at 12:56 PM, Edmilson said:

I don't think so, it sounds like generic trailer music. 

It's all synthetic which would be a refreshing change of pace.

But, MG is an all- orchestral composer

I do look forward to the film, in the same way I look forward to any creature feature. The two WORLD movies were not proper JURASSIC PARK experiences to me, but I kinda enjoy them as run-of-the-mill creature features.

Already so many references to the original movie without addining really new ideas apart from that the Raptors are tamed now.

And these chases with humans running from these predators and actually escaping don't really work for me. If a humen runs from a lion, the lion wins. End of discussion. If the human escapes this is a lame predator that would have been starving to death in nature already because its usual prey like deer, antelopes, rabbits etc. are much faster than humans. So, humas are an easy prey here.

That was the great thing in the first film. You knew, when you can see the raptor eye to eye, you are already dead. The escapes were believable. Not at all in any of the subsequent movies. The best of the sequels in that sense was to me Jurassic World.

So, if JW2 compared to JW1 was like JP2 to JP1 and the same is valid for JW3 and JP3 than we can expect the worst film in the series. Something like the Rise of Skywalker of dino movies. The trailer does not really decline that.

But for sure it will be (like George Lucas would put it) "beautifully made".

I hadn't watched the trailer yet but did just now

It... looks pretty fun to me?  And boy, Sattler and Grant look great :up:

Looks like there's a ton of action sequences too, not just 3 or 4, so that makes me excited for the score too cause I like Giacchino's blockbuster sound and blockbuster action writing

I might just see this in the theater!

If planet of the apes didnt exist...one would think that the series could go like they unveil some old dinosaur disease that kills most of humanity...so it could continue on a future post- apocaliptic earth. It is nothing like what crichton intended (except with the disease, that was hinted)...but i cant see them continuing the series in a reasonable way otherwise. So we would have dinosaurs for many years more.... They can continue the franchise changing its name and make it separate from the Park And World trilogies...

But since there is several films like this aside from POTA... i dont know if they would do it.

They could have a time traveller go back to the JURASSIC era and bring a dino back.to modern day SF to save humanity....

JURASSIC PARK: THE VOYAGE BACK

Errrr... Hmmmm...that plot sounds familiar..

The PM producer will surely green light it!😄

10 hours ago, scallenger said:

And although it feels gimmicky as much as it has been in other recent franchise films, seeing the original trio cast together again for the first time in almost 30 years is just... so cool. Also I can't believe it's been that long, omg...

Seeing them together in one shot after such a long time, makes me really sad we never had that again with Luke, Leia & Han. That is maybe the biggest missed opportunities of the sequels.