Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

• 1 month later...

Meh. I didn't have any issue with the photorealism of the CGI Dinosaurs in the previous entries, and no amount of animatronics in the world are going to help a bad story.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Think of it as the jpIII spinosaurus, who was viciously pursuing the humans for no reason. 

... except that it wanted to eat them, which, for a dinosaur, is a pretty good reason :)

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Meh. I didn't have any issue with the photorealism of the CGI Dinosaurs in the previous entries, and no amount of animatronics in the world are going to help a bad story.

I don't care how bad this might be, it has Neill, Dern and Goldblum back together, and that alone, is worth the price of admission.

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't care how bad this might be, it has Neill, Dern and Goldblum back together, and that alone, is worth the price of admission.

Agreed!

And unlike the OT trio in the Star Wars sequels, they'll actually be sharing a scene together!

They are more interesting than Opie's girl and Anna Farris' gain. (She gained by losing the prick I mean pratt).

*sigh* I will forever love him in Parks & Rec... but while he doesn't creep me out (are you referring to his real-life antics?) I don't think he is very engaging of a character. Especially in Fallen Kingdom (then again all of the characters feel "off" in that film). I agree that Bryce's character of Claire should have just carried it herself (at least she technically still is the protagonist of this trilogy).

It's just a shame that we are now three movies into this new series, and it's really hard to care about or even know what the further point is of the lead characters. Instead we are all excited about the legacy cast coming back. It just makes those new characters all the more pointless. I feel like if more of the legacy cast had been part of this trilogy's plot all along (it really wouldn't have been that hard), they may have felt more pressure to make the new side characters that much more interesting.

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

People's desire to meet the elderly versions of their beloved characters continues to elude me...

Do you stop seeing friends, family, relatives because they grow older? Why should film characters be any different?

Aging is reality. The challenge is for filmmakers to justify why we need to revisit these characters in a later stage of their lives.

On 10/4/2022 at 5:51 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

... except that it wanted to eat them, which, for a dinosaur, is a pretty good reason :)

Yeah, this idea of an anarchist mega-vicious dinosaur makes no sense. Even in the counterfactual reality of Jurassic World, it makes no sense for a company to engineer a dinosaur it can’t control. 

What I fear most now about this new movie is that it’s just going to be a monster flick. I hoped that with dinosaurs in the real world, we’d finally get a sense of what it’d be like for humans to coexist with dangerous creatures who are fundamentally just trying to live their lives. That’s what made JP and TLW (until the San Diego scenes) work. But now it seems like we might get a bunch of dinosaurs-on-a-mindless-rampage bullshit with little thoughtful commentary or insight.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Do you stop seeing friends, family, relatives because they grow older? Why should film characters be any different?

Aging is reality. The challenge is for filmmakers to justify why we need to revisit these characters in a later stage of their lives.

The last Scream movie had a really good and well put together explanation for this. Very cool

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

What I fear most now about this new movie is that it’s just going to be a monster flick. I hoped that with dinosaurs in the real world, we’d finally get a sense of what it’d be like for humans to coexist with dangerous creatures who are fundamentally just trying to live their lives. That’s what made JP and TLW (until the San Diego scenes) work. But now it seems like we might get a bunch of dinosaurs-on-a-mindless-rampage bullshit with little thoughtful commentary or insight.

It's a Colin Trevorrow movie, surely it'll be just another mindless monster flick about people escaping dinosaurs on a rampage. But yeah, a movie about humans co-existing with dinos would be much more interesting.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The challenge is for filmmakers to justify why we need to revisit these characters in a later stage of their lives.

This is basically my point. I seriously doubt Treverrow's ability to bake this into the story with any success.

But then, I guess I'm an outlier in that I never saw Jurassic Park as being particularly amneable to becoming a film series, and so any and all sequels to it carry little interest to me to begin with.

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

...it makes no sense for a company to engineer a dinosaur it can’t control.

... but they never had control, that's the illusion!

Ingen/Hammond/Ludlow thought that they could, somehow, tame the dinosaurs. At least Hammond realised, in the end, that these creatures could not be suppressed. Look at your quote, and see the magic word. It will give you a very big clue as to their motivations.

On 12/04/2022 at 3:02 AM, Chen G. said:

People's desire to meet the elderly versions of their beloved characters continues to elude me...

Well the thing about aging is that it happens to all of us, and some people like to see that reflected in the characters they grew up with. I can't speak for everyone, but as a child who came of age alongside Harry Potter and his pals, it felt nice to grow with the characters in that sense.

Seeing characters in their elderly years isn't so bad. Community elders give us wisdom that was gained through experience, and continuing the stories of once young characters allows depictions of elderly people to exist within a broader context, rather than as pure archetypes of "old". Your mileage may vary in terms of execution, but the idea is solid.

Also it's nice to see actors over a certain age continuing to get work in a notoriously ageist industry (and society).

We’ll, Jokersaurus notwithstanding, this movie looks like a whirling dervish of escapism. I’m all in!

Stray thought 1: does anyone find the mood of the trailer/featurette music in the first couple minutes reminiscent of the SW: TFA trailer?

Stray thought 2: the adaptation of JW’s majestic, uplifting JP theme (or at least the first three notes of it) into something “epic-menacing” for the end of the featurette is truly artless and abominable.

Stray thought 3: in the tweet showing the new poster, what is this about “new poster design” that folks are talking about? The poster looks like a teaser; is that supposedly the new way official posters are being designed, without a credit block?

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Stray thought 1: does anyone find the mood of the trailer/featurette music in the first couple minutes reminiscent of the SW: TFA trailer?

I thought the exact same thing and for a moment I thought it was the exact same trailer music:lol:

Stray thought 4: serving up nearly the entire brachiosaur reveal scene from the original film while rescoring it with generic high-plunking piano is the most brazen and witless act of pop-cultural appropriation since…well, any Star Wars trailer between TFA teaser #1 and the Obi-Wan trailer.  

On 12/04/2022 at 5:07 PM, scallenger said:

*sigh* I will forever love him in Parks & Rec... but while he doesn't creep me out (are you referring to his real-life antics?) I don't think he is very engaging of a character. 

Which antics might those be?

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

If the Kirby family doesn't return, I'm cancelling my tickets 

Gotta bring back Billy too 

He should have remained dead in JPIII

23 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

If the Kirby family doesn't return, I'm cancelling my tickets 

Gotta bring back Billy too 

I mean, OF COURSE they do! Billy was Grant's lover! They need to bring him back, or at least mention him, to make things make sense! ;) Hear me out:

I mean why else did Grant leave Sattler? At the end of JP they totally set up their future with kids and etc. But in JP3... no? But why? BECAUSE Grant fell in love with Billy once he started working with him! He explored a side of him he never knew he had! Obviously this upset Ellie, but they remained friends because she understood he now "found himself". Both Billy and Grant are clearly bi. HOWEVER... after the events in JP3, Grant and Billy's relationship deteriorated. I mean talk about lost trust after that whole bit with the eggs! Way to go, Billy! So Billy ended up leaving Grant for the "rough... smooth" girl he was hitting on in JP3. For years, Grant remained alone... again. Cut to Dominion... where Grant and Ellie finally reunite. Ellie's husband and their son sadly died in a bizarre incident in Columbia a few years ago, leaving her widowed and with no ties to her family life. So, in Dominion, we will explore how Grant and Ellie come back together... just as JP intended.

I am joking... of course. I mean... am I? ;)

Moore should have been a must for this film. But as always it seems for studios nostalgia only works from the first film. Like when lando was not there until rise of skywalker….and the afroamerican pilot girl could well have been kelly!

and tim and lex could be there managing hammonds state….trying to fix things…

3 hours ago, Giftheck said:

But... but... Dodgson!

(Dodgson should have been the villain of TLW)

I keep forgetting Dodgson is in this movie, hopefully the recast does a great job!

Some of ya'll may be interested in this little production I worked on with @GoodMusician: an illustrated audio drama of an unused script from Jurassic Park, brought to life as an illustrated audio drama featuring the original production artwork.

I also got to interview for it the co-writer of the script: Jurassic Park's production designer Rick Carter. Spared no expense!

https://jurassicoutpost.com/jurassic-time-interviews-production-designer-rick-carter-with-its-updated-illustrated-audio-drama

Logo w Sunrise.png

RexChopper2.jpg

Rick Carter Screenshot.jpg

JB Cast.jpg

• 2 weeks later...