Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

2 hours ago, LSH said:

This continuing trend of 'trailer-ising' classic movie themes is really fucking lame.

Haven't watched it, but I'm not going to bother now I know it's another one of "those" trailers.

21 hours ago, LSH said:

This continuing trend of 'trailer-ising' classic movie themes is really fucking lame.

Agreed. And if you're going to do it, at least try to make it really cool. I've heard it done acceptably before, but this just doesn't have any impact to me.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yeah, someone you'd find at a Santa Monica performance art show, not a dig site.

Thats the point.. she wants to return to her former self.

im glad that the love story from the first film will continue. But that was a little spoilerish clip

53 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Is that cut at 0:14 in the second clip for real?

Maybe, maybe not. It's quite common that film clips are edited vs their film counterparts, especially with the logos and crap they threw on the end, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been altered a bit. Who knows? It is a pretty bad cut, Grant and Malcolm do nearly the same action twice.

45 minutes ago, MikeH said:

That first clip feels weird with the writing, directing and overly polished ADR. 

Is it just me or is Grant's accent not quite right?

Not sure why they would bother ADR'ing a scene that was likely shot on a stage. Maybe they were plagued with planes like LOTR was.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Is that cut at 0:14 in the second clip for real?

Woah, I can't believe I didn't notice that the first time... that's really bad

• 2 weeks later...

A number of the reviews for Dominion on Metacritic suggest that the movie is a blown opportunity to actually give viewers a proper look into a world where dinosaurs and humans uneasily coexist. Instead, it's mostly a fanservice mashup of No Time to Die and the Bourne movies.

To botch the chance to do some truly imaginative counterfactual worldbuilding in Dominion is truly regrettable. I hope the movie is better than these reviews are saying, but am not holding out much hope.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

40% on Rotten Tomatoes so far, worse than JW and Fallen Kingdom:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world_dominion

Nothing could be worse than JWFK...

then again, FK was not burdened by the presence of Sam Neill😜

1 hour ago, ManofDestiny said:

It is fine, better than The Last Jedi.

What about RETURN OF THE JEDI?

😎

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

40% on Rotten Tomatoes so far, worse than JW and Fallen Kingdom:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world_dominion

Damn, that's ridiculously disappointing. It was at 80% last week and I started getting my hopes up :(

lol

‘Jurassic World: Dominion’ Review: It’s Time for This Film Franchise to Go Extinct
Director Colin Trevorrow does it again (but somehow, worse).

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-review-1234731384/

This review, however, implies that Fallen Kingdom was better than the first JW ("one of the worst big-budget Hollywood blockbusters", according to the reviewer), when I actually think it's the other way around: Jurassic World was a perfectly serviceable while FK was horrendous.

Seeing it tomorrow, so we shall see how I feel. But lol... the Rotten Tomatoes score is pretty low for The Lost World as well. And I and many others certainly love that film here.

Some of the reviews I've read said that the action scenes are so poorly directed and edited, with close shots and fast cuts straight out of a Bourne movie. 

Geez. At least the first JW had some okay action scenes. The bare minimum a dumb dinosaur movie should be is fun to watch, but apparently Dominion is not even that.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Jurassic World was a perfectly serviceable while FK was horrendous.

Yes.

I would rank JW as the second best after JP

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Some of the reviews I've read said that the action scenes are so poorly directed and edited, with close shots and fast cuts straight out of a Bourne movie. 

Geez. At least the first JW had some okay action scenes. The bare minimum a dumb dinosaur movie should be is fun to watch, but apparently Dominion is not even that.

Yeah.

JPIII was idiotic but still fun.

JPII wasn't particularly original but still fun!

JW had problems with characterizations  but it was great fun!

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Colin Trevorrow as a director in Hollywood, especially when you have a complete year to re-edit the movie again.  Strike 3 for him!

That's some really clunky dialogue in the first clip

Well at least we now know JP/// is still canon.

No Mark. Boo hoo.

Jurassic World was entertaining and I enjoyed Fallen Kingdom slightly more.

Battle At Big Rock and the the deleted prologue for Dominion that were released online weren't bad either.

But the trailer for Dominion really gives off the impression this film is going to be nothing more than...

image.png

31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Jurassic World was entertaining and I enjoyed Fallen Kingdom slightly more.

Battle At Big Rock and the the deleted prologue for Dominion that were released online weren't bad either.

But the trailer for Dominion really gives off the impression this film is going to be nothing more than...

image.png

I agree with your takes on everything above.. apart from the trailer.

It feels like its gonna be a fun finale to a fun summer blockbuster franchise to me. It has a bunch of fun stuff, dinosaurs running through cities etc.. does it make one ounce of sense? No, but it doesn't need to because its just plain entertainment

The usage of the classic characters does not seem forced, they have a plot on their own, and their are not just glorified cameos. It think they are treated and handled better and more respectfully than in the star wars sequel trilogy

22 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Nothing could be worse than JWFK...

then again, FK was not burdened by the presence of Sam Neill😜

What about RETURN OF THE JEDI?

😎

As an ending of a series, Return of the Jedi is no doubt better.

It’s not as bad as the reviews say it is, but the subplots involving giant mutant locusts and the whole Malta sequence (basically a Bond opening with dinosaurs) show that this franchise has been running on fumes. And the whole second half is basically Trevorrow doing a “best of” compilation of sequences and homages from previous JP movies. In fact the whole big climax basically recycles JW and FK’s.

It was a pleasure seeing Neil, Dern and Goldblum back in the franchise— but they didn’t get much to do. Pratt and Howard are just… there. I liked DeWanda Wise’s character a LOT, she deserved a better movie.

This was a big, stupid movie and I loved a lot about it. There were tons of new dinosaurs in it and the action was mostly ok, it just lacks tension because the only people dying were background characters. Is this as good as the OT? Of course not, but the people who say it’s worse than Fallen Kingdom or The Rise of Skywalker are full of shit.

I thought it was really good! Too tired to say much more, but as a Jurassic fan, this hit most of the right marks for me. Not perfect by any means, but I had fun watching it! And great music score!

I agree! I had a blast in the cinema. The bike sequence in Malta had me on the edge of my seat, helped a great deal by MG's music. I thought the legacy characters had plenty to do and were handled respectfully. People on the internet just want to find things to hate.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What i didnt like was the main villain… whose actor does not resemble the old one… at all. Couldnt they have found a more similar person?

Do you mean Dodgson?

The actor who played him in JURASSIC PARK, is, currently, serving six years, in jail, for sexually assaulting a thirteen year old girl.

Campbell Scott is a very able actor, with a proven track record.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you mean Dodgson?

The actor who played him in JURASSIC PARK, is, currently, serving six years, in jail, for sexually assaulting a thirteen year old girl.

Campbell Scott is a very able actor, with a proven track record.

He was unfortunately released 2 years early. 

4 hours ago, MattyO said:

I agree! I had a blast in the cinema. The bike sequence in Malta had me on the edge of my seat, helped a great deal by MG's music. I thought the legacy characters had plenty to do and were handled respectfully. People on the internet just want to find things to hate.

The movie is terribly bland and has almost no tension at all.  The end sequence where more than 7 people are all clumsily hiding behind a jeep from a dino just shows what was wrong with the movie.  There were no stakes, the main characters never truly felt like they were in danger, and the two different storylines that came together felt incredibly forced. 

If they had just picked the ecology story and went with it I would have enjoyed the movie much, much more.  The stuff with Pratt and Howard felt out of a Bond or Marvel movie, not a Jurassic movie.  During Top Gun, I never looked at my watch once as I was completely enthralled and on the edge of my seat.  During this movie, I looked at my watch less than a half hour in, and continued to do so throughout the movie.  

Very disappointing, and if that means I'm just looking for something to hate so be it.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ooh, er. Either way, his acting career is over.

Oh for sure. But his sentence should've been longer. He should never see the light of day again for hurting a child.