Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Trevorrow 2022)

John

For anyone who was following my Seamus Blackley interview about Trespasser the unmade Jurassic World game pitch that inspired aspects of the new film trilogy, the final part is now up. Spoiler: You were to play as Billy Brennan from Jurassic Park 3!

For the full 3-part playlist, check it out here:

• 2 weeks later...

Short interview with Trevorrow at Variety

In one sentence he says they never should have made more JP films after Spielberg's original, then in the next sentence he says they want to make another one continuing on with the characters of Kayla Watts, Ramsay Cole, and Soyona Santos

On 30/09/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jay said:

he says they want to make another one continuing on with the characters of Kayla Watts, Ramsay Cole, and Soyona Santos

Why? Who the hell wants that? They're all terrible characters.

Oh, investors. Right.

• 1 year later...

I watched the extended version of Dominion on Peacock and am realizing the movie isn’t quite as bad as I made it out to be in another thread recently. Treverrow stages dinosaur action pretty well and I’d forgotten the take-home messages about the perils of genetic engineering and Big (Bio)Tech resonate strongly. The extended version of the movie is an improvement over Fallen Kingdom and makes for a fine individual (but not final) episode in the JP saga. 

i now think the major mistake was in announcing that Dominion was the concluding chapter of the saga. So many questions remain unanswered at the end of Dominion that could be addressed in a seventh and final chapter—one that actually, properly makes good on the promise of showing us a world where humans have to coexist uneasily with dinosaurs. The only problem, however, is that Dominion continued making the mistake of all Jurassic movies since III, which was to treat the dinosaurs as monsters instead of animals. A seventh film would have to go back to Spielberg’s original vision to explicitly avoid portraying dinosaurs as human-hunting monsters to be interesting —perhaps within the confines of a plot that sought to eradicate dinosaurs once and for all.

Ah well, to think what could have been... I have JP and TLW on 4K. That’s all the dinosaur movie I’ll need for the next many years, even after my improved opinion on Dominion.