Star Trek: Discovery Soundtrack

Pellaeon

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

The most boring main theme of any series in the franchise.  And that's a surprise, given how boring the DS9 main theme is.

It’s obviously trying to be Game of Thrones. But unfortunately it comes off more like “Lothar of the Hill People.”

I heard some interesting background score here and there

but I already forgot most of it outside of that Torchbringer theme from chapter 1 release

I disagree.  The series is a frontier-set adventure where everyone is just hanging on by the skin of their teeth all the time, so the music sounds like ... a graduation ceremony?  And not even for a notable school?

Everyone knew it sucked, which is why they tried to spice it up in season four by adding drums to it.  It didn't work; it just made it worse.

30 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Everyone knew it sucked, which is why they tried to spice it up in season four by adding drums to it.  It didn't work; it just made it worse.

7 hours ago, Woj said:

Uh, laddie, don'tcha think ya should rephrase that? 

Seconded!

The Discovery main theme sounds like three different ideas cut together. It starts out with a statement of the new theme which I think is quite nice, then it turns into something that doesn't sound like 'Trek' at all, finally ending with an awkward statement of the TOS theme.

I think the series needed the punch that Giacchino brought with his scores, it needed to be loud enough to hear and with propulsive music for the action scenes.

Who did CBS turn down for this? 

Austin Wintory is the other big one we know of. I like his stuff better than Eidelman's demos, personally (it sounded like Eidelman had actually been given similar instructions to Russo...nowhere near as good music as the samples of his new symphony he's let out from the LSO sessions): 

https://medium.com/@awintory/star-trek-discovery-in-a-parallel-universe-94695577457a

Yavar

Part of the appeal and charm of Trek is the romanticism of space and this profound sense of adventure and going into the unknown. Courage, Goldsmith, Horner et al. brought lyricism to the music that gave The Enterprise and her crew a soul, something Discovery lacks.

For that I think Giacchino's Yorktown Theme from Beyond could've been a compelling main theme for a tv series, it's majestic, stoic, lyrical, and conveys that sense of wonder and idealism of what humans can accomplish.

18 hours ago, Woj said:

The question is not whether it sucked, Bryant. The question is, what can you do about it twenty years later? 

Point it out whenever I feel like pointing it out?  Beyond that, nothing.

6 hours ago, Trent B said:

The score for this series is largely unforgettable. 

I think you mean 'forgettable'. I made the same mistake the other day much to the amusement of my asshole family. 

It's not just the score that's forgettable, either -- the series is mediocre at best, and rarely at its best.  Whichever of the previous Treks is my least favorite (there are a few candidates, though I like them all), it's dynamite compared to the hogwash that is Discovery.

On 03/04/2018 at 12:22 PM, Pellaeon said:

It’s obviously trying to be Game of Thrones.

The one thing Game of Thrones has is a catchy theme arranged in a straightforward way that means it's still catchy after 100 plays even though it's really nothing but the theme on repeat with barely a variation.

STD doesn't even have a memorable melody, and what theme is there is arranged in such a meandering fashion that it's forgotten before the Courage fanfare has stopped playing.

To me, the Discovery theme could have been developed into something good; it is okay at the beginning, and then builds, and then ... nothing.  I'm reminded less of Game of Thrones than I am of Westworld, which also kind of seems pointless at first but then builds and finally actually DOES go someplace.  It threatens not to, but then does.

It's like Russo listened to that and said, "Hmm, how could I take that approach but then FAIL to resolve it?"

12 hours ago, John Takis said:

Anyone break down what tracks belong to what episodes (and a chronological order within those episodes) yet?

I think this soundtrack, unlike the first one, is chronological

It would be divided across the 6 episodes like: 1-2, 3-5, 6-9, 10-14, 15, 16-22 (give or take)

(and I'd say the mirror dimension episodes are at least watchable)