The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

3 hours ago, Holko said:

From "many-limbed creature" motifs to tongueing secrets and Dubsie, this was an absolutely hilarious episode, with some great score bits and comparisons of course! I think you just got yourselves a listener who never followed any podcasts and started listening to individal interesting episodes last week.

Oh and that finale! Where's the edit of longer Hedwig last note+film Double Trouble insert come from? That's actually my preferred way of having it but the album has no insert and the film has a shorter Hedwig.

It was indeed hilarious so far. I haven't made it to the end yet, but the edit you described sounds fantastic. I was disappointed to hear the LLL version mimics the film and has the short Hedwig's theme note.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh and that finale! Where's the edit of longer Hedwig last note+film Double Trouble insert come from? That's actually my preferred way of having it but the album has no insert and the film has a shorter Hedwig.

Finally got to this! It is a nice edit. But it wasn't what I was thinking it was. Isn't there an even longer ending note for Hedwig's Theme there that was used in some online game way back @Jay? How does that play into the End Credits piece?

11 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Finally got to this! It is a nice edit. But it wasn't what I was thinking it was. Isn't there an even longer ending note for Hedwig's Theme there that was used in some online game way back @Jay? How does that play into the End Credits piece?

I know nothing about what might have showed up in the video game.

The LLL set uses the cues as recorded, no film edits are retained.

Just now, Jay said:

I know nothing about what might have showed up in the video game.

The LLL set uses the cues as recorded, no film edits are retained.

There seems to be a film edit in the Firebolt / End Credits sample they posted. The last note of Hedwig's theme sounds cut off (as it does in the film) when they put the insert in.

However, on the OST and in the recent Art of the Score, the note lasts longer. 

Since the makers of this podcast only have a stem of the final film and the OST, and not the LLL set, I'd imagine they just combined the OST full Hedwig's Theme with iso score rip End Credits Insert for the podcast.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since the makers of this podcast only have a stem of the final film and the OST, and not the LLL set, I'd imagine they just combined the OST full Hedwig's Theme with iso score rip End Credits Insert for the podcast.

I can't wait for this set, so I can stop having so many damn questions. XD

I just picked up the DVD of PoA in an exchange store to familiarise myself with all the unreleased music :) 

And yes, there's definitely a more sustained bit at the end of the Hedwig's statement, but I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. Meh.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I just picked up the DVD of PoA in an exchange store to familiarise myself with all the unreleased music :) 

And yes, there's definitely a more sustained bit at the end of the Hedwig's statement, but I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. Meh.

Lol. It's even longer where it's used in other places outside the film. See here:

Not sure if that's the length it was recorded at or if it was looped there.

The question remains why it's short in the LLL sample if it doesn't recreate film edits. Was it rerecorded with the insert? maybe. Is this in the wrong thread? Absolutely!

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

The question remains why it's short in the LLL sample if it doesn't recrate film edits. Was it rerecorded with the insert? maybe. Is this in the wrong thread? Absolutely!

Indeed. I'll take it over to the music thread.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

All Harry Potter threads consist of endless discussions and one comment by Jay putting them to an end and clearing up everything.

Not so endless then, eh? 😉

Woah! What's the very first PoA cue in this podcast at around 0:40?? The beautiful rendition of Window to the Past? I swear I've seen the movie a handful of times and yet I can't place where this cue goes, unless it was practically inaudible in the film. 

It sounds like the concert version of WTTP took an excerpt from this.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Woah! What's the very first PoA cue in this podcast at around 0:40?? The beautiful rendition of Window to the Past? I swear I've seen the movie a handful of times and yet I can't place where this cue goes, unless it was practically inaudible in the film. 

It sounds like the concert version of WTTP took an excerpt from this.

I was wondering that as well! I assume we'll find out

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't recognize it, must be some other orchestra's re-recording

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup. Found it @crumbs. City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Enjoy!

However, I recommend staying away from their version of The Knight Bus. Honestly all their re-recordings from PoA especially are all played much slower.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Any chance you could tell us where this recording of Window to the Past is from, right at the start of the PoA Part 2 podcast? It's beautiful! 

EDIT: solved by the wonderful @TSMefford

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Yup. Found it @crumbs. City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Enjoy!

However, I recommend staying away from their version of The Knight Bus. Honestly all their re-recordings from PoA especially are all played much slower.

@crumbs @crumbs @crumbs

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, I'm on a train to work, I hadn't seen @TSMeffordds post before I finished writing my reply. :)

Lol. No problem. But seriously, avoid their version of The Knight Bus. It hurts.

Just now, crumbs said:

Did Williams write that concert arrangement?! It's stunning! 

Please get that on the next Williams highlights album, Keith Lockhart! 

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4490389

City of Prague recorded the full suite 10 or so years ago

Omg how am I only hearing about these now? I knew about the Double Trouble arrangement but that's it.

Why doesn't Williams ever conduct these himself? Seems like such a waste. 

Just now, crumbs said:

Omg how am I only hearing about these now? I knew about the Double Trouble arrangement but that's it.

Why doesn't Williams ever conduct these himself? 

I personally enjoy "Witches, Wands, and Wizards."  It's a neat little miniature of highlights including the bird flute solo, the snowball fight, chasing scabbers, and quidditch third year.

Yep another great episode! Certainly making the wait for LLL's Potter set that little more tolerable.

Speaking of, @PoggoAOTS hope you've seen the huge 7CD expanded Harry Potter/John Williams set that LaLa Land Records announced. No doubt you'll have a few copies turning up at the MSO office! 😎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, crumbs said:

@PoggoAOTS Any chance of another podcast in the near future? Starting to have withdrawals 😛

Sadly I couldn't attend the Empire Strikes Back MSO concerts but it'd be great to hear you guys break down that score. Especially considering how few Williams scores you've covered... ;)

I agree that there has been too much of a break between episodes. I have enjoyed their discussions.

In the meantime, take a listen to my podcast that journeys through John Williams' career, one film at a time. Each episode comes out each Wednesday, so no severe withdrawals. Go to this link to check out the episodes. It's all John Williams, all the time!!!

• 4 weeks later...