The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The "features unreleased clean music"-part should be deleted from the title.

Why? These podcasts still contain clean unreleased music. Yes, even with the LLL set. And no, I am not just talking about Shawm.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

You mean Something Wicked Intro?

That's entirely on the LLL set.  There's nothing missing.

But it IS clean, and it is an example of how the cue was assembled in the film.

Also the fadeout ending of Double Trouble March is more satisfying than the LLL version IIRC IMHO

On 2/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, crumbs said:

It also contains a clean example of the film transition from Double Trouble Intro to Double Trouble, which isn't on the LLL set.

Not to mention numerous other film versions that would be otherwise impossible to have clean.

Except the shawm cue, everything is on the set. A film edit or an alternate mix is nothing that can be considered "unreleased". It's like having a bacon burger and saying that one doesn't have a burger... because it's a burger + bacon... or so... nevermind, fuck it.

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Except the shawm cue, everything is on the set. A film edit or an alternate mix is nothing that can be considered "unreleased". It's like having a bacon burger and saying that one doesn't have a burger... because it's a burger + bacon... or so... nevermind, fuck it.

I consider it unreleased, because unlike a burger, you can’t simply pluck instruments on or off. But to each there own. Some of them are different enough that I consider them their own thing. 

Like I said. I’m well aware I’m in the minority on this. Lol. So the comments are deserved.

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

They should still do an Azkaban 3 show that includes the full shawm cue, though.

And the tracked Cadogan with tambourine, I want that one more.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Was starting to wonder when their next episode would be... lo and behold, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK PART 1!

http://www.artofthescore.com.au/

Well that was a fun lengthy episode and again very illuminating and entertaining at the same time. All the background information on the production and the discussion on the journey from a single blockbuster movie that was Star Wars to beginnings of a franchise with the ESB, including a mention of the dreaded Star Wars Christmas Special,  was greatly appreciated.

I hadn't heard an arrangement of Rose's Theme on piano before, that sounded positively gorgeous! The little discussion on changing chords was really illuminating too. 

What TLJ cues was Dan referring to when he said there was debate that Williams quoted Rose's theme incorrectly by using the wrong chords? First I'd heard of that. 

I seem to remember somebody here posting a review that criticized the weird dissonance in the big “The Fathiers” statement but that’s what makes it awesome.

I listened to the Batman episode. That was awesome. Catching up with Raiders and Jurassic Park before settling down to what should be a great Empire Strikes Back episode.

So @PoggoAOTS ... any chance of maybe starting the next episode with the complete SHAWM cue from Prisoner of Azkaban? Or maybe a future Potter episode on the non-Williams scores? :P

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2019 at 4:53 AM, PoggoAOTS said:

If another, future composer, quotes it in their score AND we analyse that new score, then I'm sure it will be posted :lol:

You really should devote an entire episode to the Shawm cue! You could interview the users of this forum about how it changed their lives.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:26 AM, Brundlefly said:

Now I'm craving bacon!

🥓

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Refreshing for ESB Part 2 like

tumblr_m6y6nr7reN1rpmhcs.gif

Listen for the unreleased Yoda insert ;)

3 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Listen for the unreleased Yoda insert ;)

There's unreleased music from ESB?! I thought the SE covered everything, albeit in lousy audio quality.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's unreleased music from ESB?! I thought the SE covered everything, albeit in lousy audio quality.

There's an unreleased insert for the transition from Luke leaving Artoo to watch over the camp, and Threepio trying to talk to the Falcon.

Basically the harp and piccolo bit at 2:12 of Luke's Nocturnal Visitor is replaced with a variation of the Clarinet Melody right before it.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

...and weirdly just throwing inserts in after the section they were supposed to replace or something, not only going against either of the composer's intentions but making it harder to recreate them with no clean ends.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

...and weirdly just throwing inserts in after the section they were supposed to replace or something, not only going against either of the composer's intentions but making it harder to recreate them with no clean ends.

Hey! PoA is a great presenta- oh, you meant ESB ;)

Hey, that one works with full alternates and separately enough, not in the midde of cues like Carbon Freeze!

11 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

There's an unreleased insert for the transition from Luke leaving Artoo to watch over the camp, and Threepio trying to talk to the Falcon.

Basically the harp and piccolo bit at 2:12 of Luke's Nocturnal Visitor is replaced with a variation of the Clarinet Melody right before it. 

This?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PoggoAOTS said:

live recording of a talk we gave for the Melbourne International Film Festival on the film music of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Very cool.  I enjoy the Wind River soundtrack especially.  Cave’s haunting spoken word parts were so unique and really made that movie pop in the theater.

• 2 weeks later...