The Art of the Score Podcast Thread

Faleel

17 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The beginning of Sibelius' Violin Concerto:

Wow! Clear as day at 0:42. Brilliant find @TownerFan and @Falstaft. Could almost pass for an extended concert suite of the Cloud City theme :lol:

Well @PoggoAOTS, there's your Sibelius reference. Feel free to oursource to JWFan anytime :P

16 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Not the last time Williams would pull from Sibelius for inspiration in Star Wars! (cf. Luke in Exile/Second Symphony Mvt 4)

Interesting.. do you have a video of this one with a timestamp?

On 9/4/2019 at 12:56 AM, crumbs said:

Well @PoggoAOTS, there's your Sibelius reference. Feel free to oursource to JWFan anytime :P

Yes! A few others Tweeted us as well. Great pick up folks - we can always count on the JWFan group for the answers...

Just want to add my continued adulation for this podcast.  You guys are one of the best.

And it sounds like Ramin Djawadi has even more 'splaining to do at 6:01 in the Sibelius concerto.  It's a dangerous business, writing franchise "themes" that are only five notes long.  You never know where they might have turned up before...

3 minutes ago, igger6 said:

And it sounds like Ramin Djawadi has even more 'splaining to do at 6:01 in the Sibelius concerto.  It's a dangerous business, writing franchise "themes" that are only five notes long.  You never know where they might have turned up before...

Heck, it may have been Williams that Djwadi was cribbing from, not Sibelius! Westeros by way of Coruscant... ;) 

(Totally kidding about this, btw. An easy coincidence, given the simplicity of the ostinati in all 3 cases)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Finally! A new episode after 4 months. Excellent score and one they've mentioned a few times over the years.

Great to see them finally tackle it!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to listen.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:53 PM, PoggoAOTS said:

Just for something a little different haha!

Do you think you guys will tackle The Lion King (the original, NOT the 2019 re-hash)? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a new Art of the Score episode but a Scoring Notes podcast featuring Nicholas Buc. Should be a great listen for anyone interested in music preparation and conducting. Buc has conducted most of the Williams LTP concerts.

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 6:37 AM, crumbs said:

Looks like your wish has been granted!!!

9a485741a5f9b005c4e1071d6a0f7be9.gif

What a great way to start the week! So glad you guys are still active and working on these podcasts @PoggoAOTS, something to look forward to during these times (especially us Victorians stuck in lockdown) and I'm sure the Goldsmith fans here will be pumped to hear you tackle one of his scores!

A great episode about one of my favourite Goldsmith scores (and The Mummy was actually my first Goldsmith album).

Also I loved the well deserved shout out to Yavar Moradi's excellent The Goldsmith Odyssey podcast. :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

That’s a fun challenge. Playing all the cues at once. 

I predict it’s…The Matrix? Lol.

The opening descending video game riff completely throws me off lol. I have no idea. But the choral crescendo with the brass feels like it could be from that score.

Hmmmm… Is it Rocky perhaps? In really  listening to the strings in that remix clue, it has a pseudo 70s/disco feel. 

They haven’t done that one yet have they? I get them mixed up with “The Soundtrack Show” sometimes.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:16 PM, Fabulin said:

My Holy Grail would be an episode on The Mummy.

Or Herrmann's Journey to the Center of the Earth, which was already mentioned in the Batman episode...

Regrettably the podcast has been silent for 4 months now :(

I'm new to the thread, but I would love to hear people talking about Journey to the Center of the Earth!

On 7/18/2021 at 4:21 PM, WampaRat said:

Ah. Yeah could be. I confess I’ve never listened to the original Tron score by Wendy Carlos. 

That would be good too.

• 2 months later...

And it's both fascinating and hilarious as usual.  I don't usually find myself grinning ear to ear while driving alone, but it's guaranteed whenever these guys drop a new episode. 

I was glad to hear some well-earned praise for Giacchino's Marvel fanfare and some well-earned apathy for that anonymous hackwork that plays over the Disney+ Star Wars logo.  Let's hope, as they suggest, that someone at Disney comes to their senses and commissions a proper fanfare in the coming years.

Meanwhile, I have Johnny's next late-career reimagining project: Fantasy for Orchestra on the Amblin Logo!

• 2 years later...