Fox Fanfare and Star Wars Intro

FalkirkBairn

I apologise if this has been dealt with at some time earlier. If it has, then could someone direct me to the thread.

Did Williams consider how the Fox Fanfare ended when he wrote the beginning to STAR WARS? They seem to fit so well that I thought that it may have been a conscious decision.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that he did, since before Star Wars, the Fox Fanfare had not been used much since the days of Al Newman in the 50's with the classic Fox films. He and Lucas brought it back to assist in the now-classic intro to all the SW films. Now listen to the Fox Fanfare and try to NOT imagine the SW Main Title following, it's hard to do.

John Williams arranged the fanfare for the movie, didn't he? I know that he purposely put Star Wars in the key of B flat at the start so that the trumpets would be ablt to play those first notes open. Hehe, I think that that is so cool. He wrote it with my instrument in mind. :(

~Conor

He didn't arrange it. Star Wars used the "original" recording of Newman's fanfare, for ESB and the later films, Williams made a new recording.

Marian - wondering why Paramount are using the Star Wars fanfare, e.g. after each DS9 episode (at least on the DVDs)... ??

Marian - wondering why Paramount are using the Star Wars fanfare, e.g. after each DS9 episode (at least on the DVDs)... ??

What?! :(

Yes, the Star Wars theme is in Bb (i know this by the fact that i've played it on the trumpet many times). And the two do go together very well. Try to listen to the fanfare in something like minority report. It's really creepy it not going to star wars.

Why isn't the fanfare included on TPM or AotC? Is it only intended for special releases? If so, then I am positive even the prequels will be given the special edition releases once the saga is complete. And that's good news. It would also mean that the TPM Ultimate Edition was a pretty expensive whim.

Roman.-)

I beleive it says in the SW:ANH SE that both pieces are written in the same key.

Yes that's correct.

Justin -Who just read the liner notes. :devil:

:oops:

Sorry for the oversight, Indy. I don't have the "ultimate edition" of The Phantom Menace and I somehow assumed it didn't have the Fox Fanfare on it. But that dooms all my hopes for The Phantom Menace special edition being done in the original trilogy's caliber to perdition.

:devil:

I'm sorry, but could someone explain this?

I know what he means, the Paramount logo music sounds like Star Wars theme, a rip off.

Do you mean the quick shot of Paramount logo with the music? That's on TNG DVD's too.

Justin -Who has been working his way through season 3 of TNG and will watch another DS9 episode tonight. :devil:

I think the reason for the exclusion of the fanfare on both "normal" prequel soundtrack releases is because they are Sony Classical releases, perhaps they don't want to hear something from the 20th Century Fox. They are both different companies, I'll bet that.

I'm sorry, but could someone explain this? :)

It's just the seven-note Paramount fanfare at the shot of their trademark mountain like others have said. You might hear it at the end of the Indy movies, too, but I never watch the end credits that long, basically because I haven't watched an Indy for months and months.

Yes, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it sounds very much like Star Wars and very little like anything else. (It's only 6 notes I believe :))

Marian - who found that annoying.

Yep

Also The Star Wars Trilogy CD, by The Utah Symphony Orchestra/Varujan Kojian opens with re-recording of the Fox Fanfare.

Very nice touch, i think.

Stefancos- who knows of no other re-recording that has done this.

Steef, I'm surprised at you! The Gerhardt Empire Strikes Back album opens with the Fox Fanfare, too.

Neil

(It's only 6 notes I believe :))

My bad, I was thinking "deedle-eedle-ee, dee dee" instead of "dun dun duddle-unh dun." I don't know what the first thing is I thought, might be Viacom or Universal or something.

Eh, it's too short to claim it sounds like anything, and if it does, it's better to steal from the best than steal from crap.

It's 6 notes that seem to be more or less exactly the first 6 of the Star Wars theme - and the first thing I thought when I heard it was "Why Star Wars?"

So I think it's long enough to say it sounds a lot like SW. :sigh:

Marian - who still finds it curious.

:) The Two Towers (Howard Shore)

The Utah Symphony Orchestra did an impressive Fox Fanfare. In fact the whole album impressed me. It's by far the best Star Wars trilogy re-recording: great sound quality, mixing, tempos, acoustics, and most importantly awesome PERFORMANCES from all sections in the orchestra - no major performance errors on this album.

The only problem I have with this release is its length. The single CD is not full to its capacity... but it's Varese, so what can we expect? More would have been better because the USO is flat out impressive.

You all know what selections could have been included to fill up the disc - no need to list them.

Matt, the reason that CD is as long as it is, is because it was originally released on LP. I agree with you, too. If you only buy one Star Wars Trilogy album, the Varese is the one to get.

Neil

Hi people,

I read your posts on the Fox Fanfare. I think it's very similar to the Star Wars theme, but when has it been composed? Maybe it was before Star Wars!

By the way, does anybody know where to get logo music? I like the universla logo music and I very hardly want to have Williams Deamworks and Amblin Entertainment logo music!!!

Some french fries with a pepsi and a cheese burger please...

Morn - Not sure about Stefans avatar.

I think it's very similar to the Star Wars theme, but when has it been composed? Maybe it was before Star Wars!

It was written in 1954 by Alfred Newman. The 1954 recording is the one heard in front of Star Wars. All of the subsequent sequels used a different recording. Empire and Jedi's were conducted by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. I think it's Bruce Broughton conducting the music heard in front of the prequels.

Neil

Are you sure, i thought they used the Williams recording for the prequels too.

It's definatly a different performance then the one Fox uses for their other films.

Stefancos- who's glad Lucas atleast uses the old fasioned fox logo, not the modernized one.

It was written in 1954 by Alfred Newman.

That's not entirely true. The original fanfare (also by Newman of course) was written before that, dunno when. He added the second half of it when he created the extended Cinemascope version of the fanfare, apparently in 1945 (I don't remember which fanfare is at the beginning of the original POTA, and I'm too lazy to listen to it now to check; the Varese disc has "1953 version" in the tracklisting, but since the movie is in cinemascope, I suppose it's the same fanfare as in SW).

Marian - who thinks that Pepsi sucks and prefers sucking Coca Cola.

I'm sorry about the trouble, but my comment and question were about the Paramount fanfare, not the Fox Fanfare... Has the Paramount fanfare, since it is so similar to the SW theme, been composed before or after SW? Still thanks for the information.

MSM

I think they had a different fanfare in the 70's. That's as much as I can say, I've watched old 70's paramount shows. :)