The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

26 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Associating a post with a shorthand synonym for male genitals? Is that some sort of new expression or figure of speech? Am I missing something?

Forget it Jerry, it's Other Topics.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

This comment at least has some balls, instead of just some moralistic tut-tutting.

The truth is easy as Judge Judy says.

Sondra Locke, who appeared in many a Clint Eastwood movies, has gone to the eternal fields.

sondra-locke-any-which-way-you-can-warne

Always shocking to see how many have left us .... TCM Remembers 2018:

Statistically speaking / 151000 people die each day. Hopefully every one of them has someone who Mourns them.

You might want to put a comma, somewhere, there, Joe.

I take it that you mean 151,000?

I mourn those who don't have anyone to mourn them: the homeless; the prisoners on Death Row; someone who dies in an alley with a needle stuck in their arm; a child who dies of malnutrition; the John or Jane Doe who's the victim of gang violence.

I don't give two shits about the rich and the wealthy and the famous and the powerful. They've got their rewards in this life, and they'll get whatever they deserve, in the next one. I'm more concerned with the "invisible" people of this world.

That's like saying: I cared about Vincent Van Gogh but the death of John Williams would leave me cold. The fact that both have touched my soul has nothing to do with it. I could care less about things like that. But Van Gogh who died poor and with his talents unrecognized ... OMG, I think I need a hanky.

Call it morally wrong, but I only care for the deaths of the people who meant something in my life.

It's not wrong, morally, Alex, but the question is: "Who means what to anyone's life?".

Of course I'd be upset if/when JW dies, but I know that he'll be remembered.

I'm more concerned for the outcasts of life, such as those listed above. I hope that I'm not sounding pious, or condescending; it's just the line of work that I've been doing for most of my adult life - caring for those who are unable to care for themselves.

In a very real sense, we can only care for those whom we know. To try to care for many more beyond that would leave us fatigued beyond measure, both emotionally, and financially.

Yes charity (of any shape) begins at home... but it doesn't need to end there.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

You might want to put a comma, somewhere, there, Joe.

I take it that you mean 151,000?

I mourn those who don't have anyone to mourn them: the homeless; the prisoners on Death Row; someone who dies in an alley with a needle stuck in their arm; a child who dies of malnutrition; the John or Jane Doe who's the victim of gang violence.

I don't give two shits about the rich and the wealthy and the famous and the powerful. They've got their rewards in this life, and they'll get whatever they deserve, in the next one. I'm more concerned with the "invisible" people of this world.

150000 reads as 151,000.

It would be more understandable for the homeless the poor to have no one to mourn them. But for the rich and Powerful who have no one to mourn them there's something terribly wrong and terribly sad if that happens.

Knute Rockne All American?

She has a John Williams connection, she was in SS's 1941.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

She has a John Williams connection, she was in SS's 1941.

Her part was eventually cut from the T.V.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

She directed two all-time classic movies, including the best sports movie of all time...

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

...A League of Their Own!

Really, Mike?

What about SLAP SHOT, THIS SPORTING LIFE, RAGING BULL, and  THE MEAN MACHINE?

I like FEVER PITCH (hmm, I wonder why? :)), and don't forget (I shit you not!) THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

I've just read that Donald Moffat died, on the 20th December.

R.I.P. Captain Garry.

I remember him for this fabulous movie:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Donald Moffat shirley maclaine »

41 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

This is how I remember him but you kids probably don't know what I'm talking about:

30cff5d6f5175230f2a95b2bf0432b28--logans

Of course I do, Alex. It was a dreadful show.

12 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Nope. I know the face but other than The Thing, I don't recognize anything I've seen him in. 

He was in TALES OF THE CITY.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I guess you were already too old when it aired in your country. 

I don't think I'm "too old", or "too young", for anything.

I watched BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and liked it. I watched SPACE:1999, and liked it. I watched BLAKE'S 7, THE CHANGES, TERRAHAWKS and SURVIVORS, and I liked all of those. I just didn't like LOGAN'S RUN: no Michael York, and definitely no Jenny Agutter. 

5 hours ago, Wojism said:

:huh:

He was also the POTUS, in CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

... no Michael York, and definitely no Jenny Agutter. 

You were too old, Richard.

In Belgium, there was not enough on TV for kids to be that picky. Planet Of The Apes, The Invisible Man (David McCallum), Star Trek (Original), Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Avengers (my favorite), Doctor Who (Tom Baker)... those were like the only times TV gave something to children (before puberty). Nobody said: Oh, no, the casting is all wrong or I don't like the photography ... 

The TV show of Planet Of The Apes couldn't compete with the film either but we took what we could get. Back then, we kids didn't even know there was a Jenny Agutter ... or a Heather Menzies for that matter. We called her Jessica. 

I didn't even know there was a movie when I watched the TV show. I was older when I saw the movie but I remember that I didn't like it. Heck, Ricard even banned me from the forum because I didn't like Logan's Run. How about them apples?!