The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

RIP Danish composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre, at 95 years of age. Among his vast output, he scored the most-seen film in Norwegian cinemas, the stop-motion film Flåklypa grand prix (The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix). From this score, there's the evergreen Norwegian Sunset (Reodors Balldade), which seems fitting to play on this day.

Here's the whole album:

I admit I wasn't very aware of Alan Parker, but I've seen a couple of his films over the years and as far as I remember always liked them (when can we finally have a Blu release of The Wall?)

David Arnold posted a few anecdotes about him on Twitter:

• 2 weeks later...

My first cousin ( once removed).

Not a nice guy.

Reminds me of Trumpf.

R.i.p Sumner Rohtstein

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/business/media/sumner-redstone-legacy.amp.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15972855164272&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2020%2F08%2F12%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia%2Fsumner-redstone-legacy.html

Fun fact:

Composer Jeff Russo is part of the same family tree- Rohtstein' just like Sumner.

we are second  cousins.

He had one of the best moments in that Star Trek reboot - where he reveals to Spock he married his mother because of love, not logic.  I'm not sure if it's true to Trek at all, since the only Trek I've seen are the two Abrams movies, but it was nice.

Not sure I know him from anything else, tbh.

• 5 weeks later...

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died, a political figure of whom I will not elaborate on as per the forum rules.

All across social media I've seen 'RIP RGB' like she was a cartridge of printer ink. How about paying respect to the dead by paying respect to proof-reading what your respects say? 

On that topic, typing the words 'RIP so and so' seems to have so little meaning these days, a part of an expediency of modern communication that somehow says less than the acronym implies. 

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

They are paying " respect".

In their own way.

Would you rather her passing go unnoticed?

Peace

Rip Muce Barshall.

See - not much respect when I get your name wrong. 

She was an old Justice in the highest court in the US.

Now with 45 days before he is reelected, there is a high likelihood that president 45 will rush to nominate another conservative judge in order to overturn Roe V Wade. The conservatives care more about the unborn aborted people than any of the living. Especially the alphabet people LGBTQIA, POC, and the immigrants. With the death of Ginsburg, only white men will enjoy legal protection again. 

Everyone else, it's been fun. 

Ron Cobb died at 83.

Cobb worked in production design, including for Star Wars, Alien (for which he designed the ship), Conan the Barbarian and Back to the Future. He was even involved in creating concept art for an amateurish Lord of the Rings project in 1957, which the otherwise-picky author deemed "really astonishingly good."

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Cobb worked in production design, including for Star Wars, Alien (for which he designed the ship), Conan the Barbarian and Back to the Future. He was even involved in creating concept art for an amateurish Lord of the Rings project in 1957, which the otherwise-picky author deemed "really astonishingly good."

I didn't know about that link between Alien and Tolkien. Which again reminds me that I never found out anything about the background of "Brandywine Productions", or how they came by that name?

A couple of Tolkien's comments about the unproduced Ackerman project do seem somewhat picky (and a few show that, unless he changed his views, he wouldn't have been happy with some aspects of the PJ version - and I'm not talking about those parts that he would most definitely, and rightfully, have objected to). But most of the comments show that the proposed script (which I haven't read) must really have been quite horrible and absurd.

It wasn't a script: it was a 55-page treatment. It was an amateurish production that never really had any real chance. Ackerman, an agent, was simply trying his hand at movie producing, and the writer, Morton Zimmerman, had no experience in screenwriting nor worked in entertainment ever since.

But Cobb's work on concept art and photography from the California location scout was the only real selling point.

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

and the writer, Morton Zimmerman, had no experience in screenwriting nor worked in entertainment ever since.

Nor did he "read books", as per Tolkien's letters: "He is hasty, insensitive, and impertinent. […] It seems to me evident that he has skimmed through the L.R. at a great pace, and then constructed his s.l. from partly confused memories, and with the minimum of references back to the original."

But Cobb's work on concept art and photography from the California location scout was the only real selling point.

Is any of that available anywhere? Tolkien's all too brief comments on them make me interested in what they looked like.

Aw, man! I've liked Michel Lonsdale, for the longest time. He was a quiet, but important, presence, in so many films-

RONIN; MUNICH; THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.

Michael Chapman's work speaks for itself.

35 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Lonsdale was given some fantastically dry lines as Drax, which he delivered brilliantly. 

R.I.P. 

Take care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him :lol:

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Aw, man! I've liked Michel Lonsdale, for the longest time. He was a quiet, but important, presence, in so many films-

RONIN; MUNICH; THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.

Michael Chapman's work speaks for itself.

Take care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him :lol:

'You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season'. 

• 2 weeks later...