The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

:(

I read all three of his Making of Star Wars films, and the Indiana Jones one he did as well.  While occasionally criticized for telling the LucasFilm approved account of the making of these films, I found his books to be well written, informative, insightful and surprisingly well-balanced.

So sorry for Rinzler and his family.

Wish the Indy book and the ROTS book were released in ebook (and that Disney would release his work from TFA).  I gave to his GoFundMe - sad that medical treatment can drive someone into so much debt when there are much bigger things to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Trevor Moore, who portrayed John Williams in the infamous WKUK sketch has died.

Trevor Moore, of 'The Whitest Kids U Know', dead at age 41 (nypost.com)

I’m laughing at the video, that’s hilarious haha. I wonder how accurate it is🤔

He has said he's worked stuff out on walks or on the golf course, hasn't he? Maybe his inner ear is trained enough that he doesn't really need to hum or whistle but it is funny to imagine him just idly wandering around going "Do do do do" for something as complex as his new violin concerto. 

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Sean Lock, English comedian

Such a funny man, provided me hours and hours of laughs on QI and 8 Out of 10 Cats over the years.  So sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/aug/18/comedian-sean-lock-dies-aged-58

It's a stupid thing to say, but it feels wrong for funny people to die. I was only familiar with Lock through QI, but there he was of course a regular, and always a highlight with great chemistry with his co-comedians.

Saddened to hear of Sean Lock's passing ... his TV appearances and live shows were equally funny. R.I.P.

By way of a small tribute, my favourite joke of his - 'What's really impressive about football-ground pies is how they've been able to get the meat inside exactly the same colour as a dog's vagina'. 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'll always remember him as Lou Grant.

That SHOULD be my answer. But the first role that came to mind was Granny Goodness from the Animated Superman.

EDIT: Man. Rough couple of years for the Mary Tyler Moore Show cast. Leachman, MacLeod, and Asner this year alone.

Betty White: Champion again.

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

Didn't know Ed did the voice of ...

_120326581_gettyimages-87442266.jpg

It's the only thing I know him from, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. The local obituaries don't even mention it, presumably because undubbed films are still such a niche thing here that most people aren't even aware of original performances in hit movies.

I have no idea what this show is, which means it was probably from the period of time where I was too old to enjoy cartoons and also not old enough to enjoy cartoons.  But this 12 minute video cracked me up a bunch.  

When The Mary Tyler Moore Show was on, it was always a sacred moment for my mother. I was about 6 or 7 and didn't get it (literally). I was more into Zorro back then.

71zFufz+zzL.jpg

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

There was a track by him in one of the Williams and the Pops Olympics CD, didnt it?

Yes, "Canto Olympico". Pretty good piece.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You've never heard the score for, or seen, ZORBA THE GREEK?

I don't know if I ever watched the whole movie. I think I know the name from watching Serpico as a young teen, somehow seeing that name appear in the opening credits has made an ineradicable impression on me. 

M. Theodorakis

Principal film scores 1957-2013 (note the gap between 1980 and 2013!)

Andreas Kapsokavadis born 1994 December 16 aka Kaps Reference: Guy Wagner. Chairman of the International Theodorakis Foundation FILIKI. List of works based on the research of Asteris Koutoulas, published in O Mousikos Theodorakis.

Mikis Theodorakis - Wikipedia

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Mikis Theodorakis has passed away, age 96. Impressive innings (he was one of the oldest living film composers). What other works beyond ZORBA and SERPICO would you recommend?

I first came to know Theodorakis through Canto General. My parents have the original live LP album which my father for a time (after rediscovering his collection when he re-connected an old record player) enjoyed blasting at full volume. In fact, of the many different version of the work, it's the only one I'm really familar with. It's a shoddy recording and in many respects a bad performance (choir and instrumentalists sound like mediocre sight reading amateurs much of the time), but at the same time it has a very gripping atmosphere, due to the soloists, the folk instrumentation, and the overall exciting live-ness of it (including an ultra hyped audience - it was one of the first Theodorakis concerts in Greece after his return from exile).

Aside from that, and Canto Olympico, and of course Alexis Zorbas, I know virtually nothing. I've heard one or two other versions of Canto General (including one in a TV broadcast of a live performance in Linz, Austria, which Theodorakis conducted himself). The standard orchestral version is quite different from the folk instrumentation, obviously (and the final work is considerably longer than it was in 1975, too). I should probably get more familiar with those other versions, and with some others of his works.

Virtually everyone knows Zorbas, of course, and many people can even connect the name Theodorakis with it. And everyone knows that the famous dance is called "the sirtaki". But I believe much fewer people know (and I didn't know for a long time myself) that it's not "a" sirtaki, but actually "the" sirtaki: It's not a traditional type of Greek dance, but actually a new dance invented by Theodorakis for the film (supposedly because the existing traditional dances were too complex for Anthony Quinn).

RIP

There's more to Zorbas than just the famous sirtaki, too:

Michael K. Williams found dead

Actor Michael K. Williams found dead in NYC apartment (nypost.com)

He originally played Dryden Vos in Solo: A Star Wars Story before reshoots led to Paul Bettany replacing him.

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Wow, is that insensitive and impious...

@Jay

I might be wrong, and I hope I'm not, but it could be a language barrier difference. Lame meaning "disappointing" in this case. At least I hope that's the case.

Edit: Seems I was wrong...