The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Farewell, Dr. Yueh :(

"Every religion needs its Judas just as badly as it needs its saints."

---Quoted in Naib Guaddaf's Judgment on Arrakeen RCC 29-Z182. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rest in peace, János Kóbor, main singer/frontman since 1962 of bestselling hungarian rock band Omega, now dead of covid. :crymore:

Music was his first love, and it will be his last (with a little help from Alan Parsons).

On 03/12/2021 at 6:29 PM, Chen G. said:

Sir Antony Sher had died... :crymore:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59520117

Wherever he is, I hope he has a happy... whatever ;)

Farewell, Howard Kirk.

Yeah. Total bummer with Miles. I obviously got into his work due to his singing on many Alan Parsons Project albums, but I later discovered his solo work too. REBEL from 1976 is a masterpiece record, for example, that includes the famous "Music", one of the best AAP songs/instrumentals that wasn't AAP (although it has Powell's orchestral arrangements). Also like the slightly more poppy and streamlined ZARAGON from '78.

• 3 weeks later...

Director and producer Jean-Marc Vallée, who won an Emmy for directing the hit HBO series Big Little Lies and whose 2013 drama Dallas Buyers Club earned multiple Oscar nominations, has died aged 58.

His representative Bumble Ward said Sunday that Vallée died suddenly in his cabin outside Quebec City over the weekend.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/jean-marc-vallee-director-death-1.6298686

Oh man that stinks, way too young

Out of his films, I've only seen Wild, which I liked a lot.

Out of his TV shows, Sharp Objects was terrific, and Big Little Lies was very well directed even if the script was nothing too special

I've never seen a film he's directed other than The Cat's Meow, but enjoyed his performance as Dr Melfi's psychiatrist on The Sopranos

RIP.  I went through a big Bogdanovich phase in my teens where I would tell anyone who might care (nobody cared) that he was secretly the greatest director of that 1970s New Hollywood generation.  I wouldn't say that anymore but he's still very underrated and he made a handful of true classics.

I've never seen anything by him, I think, but I did watch The Other Side of the Wind plus the matching documentary a while ago and figured I should probably catch up with some of his stuff. RIP.

I saw Paper Moon when I was very young, Mask, and probably a few typical and forgettable '80s movies (A Thing Called Love, etc.). He never became the genius director people in the '70s thought he was going to be. 

Not a good human being.

A marginally talented director.

He built a career on a distorted nostalgia for Old Hollywood ( kinda like Tarantino did later).

TARGETS is the best,most ORIGINAL  thing he ever did.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

RIP. I admit I was surprised to learn that he had still been alive (though now I remember I had the same surprise only a few weeks ago when I looked him up on IMDb for some reason). I should be more familiar with his work than I am (a few of his films have been on my todo list for ages), but he was of course brilliant in Sneakers.

(Am I the only one who finds the phrasing of the headline odd? "Oscar-winning Hollywood star tragically dies as tributes pour in" - doesn't that sound like the tributes were already pouring in for some other reason when he suddenly died?)

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

So... Guess who's *not* coming to dinner... 

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen any film he's directed or acted in other than Sneakers

I recommend The Defiant Ones, where he's shackled to Tony Curtis and they need to work together. 

Really sad news, what a great actor he was. I strongly recommend Kramer's The Defiant Ones and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner  and Jewison's In the Heat of the Night which I think is his best role

mr tibbs GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

I remember seeing him on Dennis Miller while Saget was in the middle of doing AFHV and realizing that this was NOT the same guy as the characters he was playing. He had a blessedly dark sense of humor that made his delivery of the jokes on AFHV just howling funny. 

RIP Bob.