The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

One of my favorite writers and critics, Terry Teachout, died very suddenly yesterday.  He was known as a theater critic but I loved most his writings on jazz and classical music and classic films.  His biographies on Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong I disagreed with in a lot of ways, but they are wonderfully written and very perceptive.  He was the best kind of critic: the kind whose best writing was about art that he loved, not that he hated.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/14/1073037473/terry-teachout-dies-critic

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2022/01/19/l-acteur-gaspard-ulliel-gravement-blesse-dans-un-accident-de-ski-ses-jours-en-danger_6110115_3224.html

Gaspard Ulliel died at the age of 37. A very promising actor who played wonderfully in Dolan's Juste la Fin du Monde and in Saint-Laurent

He was also about to appear in the next Marvel series Moon Knight

Yvette Mimieux died. She played in the Williams-scored film DIAMOND HEAD (which was a really bad, soapy film, but with some great visuals of Hawaii) and perhaps more famously in the original THE TIME MACHINE.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I liked her in THE BLACK HOLE.

She was not actually their first choice. Interesting article here, though a bit overlong, without really any comments from Ms. Mimieux. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/we-never-had-an-ending-why-disneys-black-hole-lost-star-wars-1262526/

Holy moly, 2022 is relentless!

RIP Louie Anderson

I always appreciated what a unique presence he was on TV.  I liked Life with Louie a lot when I was a kid, classic 90s cartoon IMO.  And I actually thought he was a good Family Feud host!

Meat Loaf was the creation of Jim Steinman. He  cannily exploited Springsteen's three year absence- 1975-1978-  by creating the sound- alike BAT OUT OF HELL album.

Loaf's most memorable moment for me was the use of " Standing on.the Outside" in MIAMI

VICE.

RIP.ML

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Meat Loaf was the creation of Jim Steinman. He  cannily exploited Springsteen's three year absence- 1975-1978-  by creating the sound- alike BAT OUT OF HELL album.

Loaf's most memorable moment for me was the use of " Standing on.the Outside" in MIAMI

VICE.

RIP.ML

I mean you could just as easily say that Meat Loaf made Steinman’s career, they conceived of Bat Out of Hell together, each inspiring the other.  Meat Loaf was beginning a successful career on stage in Hair and then Rocky Horror Show before they got the recording deal too of course.

I've always thought that there was a bit of a mickey take, with BOOH.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

...it was a conscious effort to ape BORN TO RUN after Springsteen was unable to record due to lawsuits.

Now I know why.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not familiar with that expression.

Explain please😄

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not familiar with that expression.

Explain please😄

There was a name for the style of Meatloaf's music but I don't remember what it was. But whatever the style was, it's not what Springsteen was making. 

For the record, I'm not a fan of either Meatloaf or Springsteen, so they do have that in common.

You wouldn't have wanted to use the toilet right after him back in the day, I'm guessing ... what fell out of his ass back then probably resembled tree branches made of clay. 

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

JOHN WILLIAMS MUST BE PROTECTED!  STAY BACK, 2022!

18 days to go...

On 21/01/2022 at 10:45 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

We never did find out what the 'that' he wouldn't do was. R.I.P.

He wouldn't tell us what he wouldn't do for love. QED. It's all very meta :)

On 21/01/2022 at 10:45 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Hardy Kruger has passed also ... enjoyed his turn in The Wild Geese. R.I.P.  

He was a good, solid actor.

THE WILD GEESE is preposterous, but it's a lot of fun to watch.

Bat Out of Hell has been described as Wagnerian Rock and Roll.  It’s what got me to listen to it the first time.  And I’ve been a fan ever since.

Useless trivia: Roy Bittan (piano) and Max Weinberg (drums) from the E Street Band contributed their talents to Bat Out of Hell.

46 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but, er...I agree with Bruce. Anything with Bittan, and Weinberg, is not trivial.

" Its all part of the plan"

---- The Joker

Original title:

Born to Be a Bat Out of Hell

R.I.P., Barry Cryer.

Now, while this name may not mean much to most, to people of a certain age, the Radio 4 show I'M SORRY, I HAVEN'T A CLUE was, and continues to be, essential listening.

A British comedy legend has passed. Respect is due.

Jack Dee was chairman and Tony Hawks, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden were the other panellists. 

ISIHAC, Just A Minute, The Unbelievable Truth ... am quite fond of a Radio 4 panel show, it must be said.  

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You should. It's the most consistently funny thing, on radio.

A change of tack, but another Radio 4 prog/podcast I've recently been listening to is Uncanny in which a chap called Danny Robins interviews people who've had what they believe to be genuine paranormal experiences and then he chats to professional sceptics and 'believers' to see what they make of it all. It drew me in because the first one had a local angle ... a bloke studying microbiology at Belfast's Queen's University in the early 80s had some very strange things happen to him whilst staying in Room 611 of Alanbrooke Hall, a student accomodation tower block (demolished in the early 00s). 

I remain a sceptic, but the people telling these stories aren't 'belief in anything and everything spiritual' idiots and their stories are fascinating.