The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

On 25/02/2022 at 7:40 AM, AC1 said:

That reminds me, I really need to watch this movie again.

WIHKAWIHSTTTAM-poster.jpg

'Great script Herb, but would you consider shortening the title?' 

'No!' 

*Sigh* 'OK then ... ' 

RIP Alan Ladd, Jr.

He'll always be most famous for green-lighting Star Wars of course, but it's quite a career even outside of that.  The second thing I always think of with his name is Jerry JW's music for the Ladd Co. logo :) 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alan-ladd-jr-dead-star-wars-braveheart-dies-1235102885/

He was also the one to chop-up Once Upon a Time in America, but De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and all of that.

A great producer who put his eggs in risky baskets and was greatly rewarded. Both Star Wars and Braveheart were risky projects to undertake.

A great loss.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The second thing I always think of with his name is Jerry's music for the Ladd Co. logo :) 

Goldsmith did a Ladd theme as well? Or did you mean John?

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, Williams' Ladd theme *is* included on a Goldsmith soundtrack release. ;) 

Outland, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

Upon further review of his filmography, I've actually seen only a few others of his films beside the two I mentioned. That I feel like I've seen him in much more is a testament to his screen presence.

He was absolutely pitch perfect as Macon Leary in The Accidental Tourist. One of the most perfect matches between book character and actor cast ever

He is best known for his '80s movies (Altered States, Body Heat, The Big Chill, Gorky Park, Kiss Of The Spider Woman, Children Of A Lesser God, The Accidental Tourist, ...) which all got a lot of attention and where he was a real movie star. Then he kind of disappeared from my sight until Spielberg's A.I.

It's very, VERY hard to become a star and even harder to stay a star.

Hurt was a big name for several years, no small accomplishment.

I was a huge fan.

I really enjoyed seeing him in HISTORY OF VIOLENCE playing against type as a gangster.

As far as I remember he became famous with his role in Children Of A Lesser God,  at least in my local logitute. Great actor.

But to be honest, I don't remember him playing in Dark City. Probably I should watch that again.

33 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's very, VERY hard to become a star and even harder to stay a star.

Hurt was a big name for several years, no small accomplishment.

I was a huge fan.

I really enjoyed seeing him in HISTORY OF VIOLENCE playing against type as a gangster.

Some actors prolong their career by becoming an action hero (Cruise, Ford, Neeson, ...) and they do it because cash needs to flow in. But being an action hero was probably not in the stars for William Hurt.

13 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

As far as I remember he became famous with his role in Children Of A Lesser God

No, then he was almost on his way out.

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

Some actors prolongue their career by becoming an action hero (Cruise, Ford, Neeson, ...) and they do it because cash needs to flow in. But being an action hero was probably not in the stars for William Hurt.

Eastwood, Nicholson, Cruise managed to stay on top for at least three decades. Hard to do!

Very sad and surprising news; he's been a favourite ever since I was a kid. Loved his often understated, softspoken acting style. While KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN is his towering performance, I've always preferred others more -- like THE BIG CHILL, A.I. (brief as the role was) and THE VILLAGE.

Kinda bizarre to read that he died of "natural causes" at 72, though. There is nothing natural about dying at that relatively young age. He must clearly have had some sort of disease that was kept private.

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

72 is young?

When I was growing up it was ancient! 😗

Yes, but different times. My dad turns 72 in a week, I don't consider it old in this day and age. I just read on FSM, however, that the cause of death was prostate cancer that had spread to the bones.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Frank Zappa died of that.

My grandfather too, although be managed to reach a more reasonable 85.

Really sad to learn that. I'm not really familiar with his great movies. For me he was the head of Cybertronics in A.I., the president in Vantage Point and more recently Ross in the MCU (not a great performance but a fun one like Redford). I'll miss him

I would count prostate cancer as a natural cause of death. And not everyone turns 80 nowadays.

I am sad to say, but it seems to me, people growing up to their 90s is, at least in my world a privelige of the generations born before WW2. They probably suffered the most, but that resulted obviously in a good physical condition to grow very old. When I look at the generation of my parents, who were born after the war, there are not so many still around. But maybe in Norway it is different. 

I met Hurt once. His kid apparently went to my elementary school. He showed up one day to pick him up and everyone just swarmed him to ask for autographs. He signed them but looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. In all fairness, I did too, but I was also attending school.

Just my pointless, dumb William Hurt story.

I would count prostate cancer as a natural cause of death. And not everyone turns 80 nowadays.

I am sad to say, but it seems to me, people growing up to their 90s is, at least in my world a privelige of the generations born before WW2. They probably suffered the most, but that resulted obviously in a good physical condition to grow very old. When I look at the generation of my parents, who were born after the war, there are not so many still around. But maybe in Norway it is different. 

Life expectancy has obviously risen steadily over the years, due to advances in social welfare and medicine. The average life expectancy for males in Norway is currently 81.2 and for women 84.7. While 72 isn't young, it's very much on the younger side of life expectancy. Most people who pass at that age have some sort of serious illness, like cancer in Hurt's case. While cancer is very much a biological process, when people say someone dies of "natural causes", they tend to speak about organs giving away due to age -- not some external, serious illness.

30 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

...not everyone turns 80 nowadays.

Speak for yourself, matey! I plan to live forever. So far...so good :)

24 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

He signed them but looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

To be honest, most famous people do. The ones who don't, don't deserve your attention, anyway.

On 18/08/2021 at 8:22 AM, Disco Stu said:

RIP Sean Lock, English comedian

Such a funny man, provided me hours and hours of laughs on QI and 8 Out of 10 Cats over the years.  So sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/aug/18/comedian-sean-lock-dies-aged-58

On 18/08/2021 at 8:47 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

It's a stupid thing to say, but it feels wrong for funny people to die. I was only familiar with Lock through QI, but there he was of course a regular, and always a highlight with great chemistry with his co-comedians.

On 18/08/2021 at 9:03 AM, Loert said:

Oh no :( He was one of my favourite comedians on TV. His ability to make a joke out of basically anything was second-to-none.

R.I.P.

On 18/08/2021 at 9:20 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Saddened to hear of Sean Lock's passing ... his TV appearances and live shows were equally funny. R.I.P.

By way of a small tribute, my favourite joke of his - 'What's really impressive about football-ground pies is how they've been able to get the meat inside exactly the same colour as a dog's vagina'. 

Thought y'all might be interested to watch this

• 3 weeks later...