The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

There's a surprise. I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from that surprise. 

:(

Rest in peace. Aladdin and Problem Child are unforgettable roles. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Gilbert Gottfried, RIP.

Feels like legendary comedians are getting picked off recently...

Especially with Norm Macdonald and Bob Saget also dying in their 60s. We're losing that generation of comics too early. All three of these guys would have made very funny grumpy old men. 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Especially with Norm Macdonald and Bob Saget also dying in their 60s. We're losing that generation of comics too early. All three of these guys would have made very funny grumpy old men. 

Plus, the three of them were good friends and had each others back as standards of comedy abruptly changed.  Sad day. 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

And Louie Anderson!

• 2 weeks later...

Klaus Schulze has passed away, only 74:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/klaus-schulze-dead-german-electronic-music-pioneer-1235242538/

Damn. Didn't see that coming. I've actually played quite a bit of Schulze over the last year or so, and was kinda researching if he had anything new planned (which he had!). What a terrible shame....and way too early.

On 27/04/2022 at 6:36 PM, Thor said:

Klaus Schulze has passed away, only 74:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/klaus-schulze-dead-german-electronic-music-pioneer-1235242538/

Damn. Didn't see that coming. I've actually played quite a bit of Schulze over the last year or so, and was kinda researching if he had anything new planned (which he had!). What a terrible shame....and way too early.

This is sad, indeed.

I only know DUNE, TRANCEFER, and AUDENTITY, but I like them all.

On 29/04/2022 at 7:52 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is sad, indeed.

I only know DUNE, TRANCEFER, and AUDENTITY, but I like them all.

Those are fine, but my favourite of his studio albums is definitely ANGST.

For his film scores, it would be his score for the Norwegian film HAVLANDET. It does not have a separate soundtrack release, but a wonderful 30-minute selection is available on the Historic Edition boxed set from the mid 90s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 2:37 PM, Dr. Rick said:

RIP Norm MacDonald...

Loved watching him on SNL back in the day, especially the weekend update news segments.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-macdonald-dead-obituary-comedian-saturday-night-live-weekend-update-anchor-was-61-1234833212/

Apparently on his latest podcast (every comedian has one) David Spade revealed that Norm MacDonald shot a final comedy special before he died, in a room with no audience because clubs were still closed for COVID.  He says it will get released this year on Netflix.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, Stu said:

Apparently on his latest podcast (every comedian has one) David Spade revealed that Norm MacDonald shot a final comedy special before he died, in a room with no audience because clubs were still closed for COVID.  He says it will get released this year on Netflix.

It’s called “Norm MacDonald: Nothing Special” and it hits Netflix May 30th

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-netflix-special-1235145692/

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Tallguy, do you plan on getting another dog?

We have two. So we're not getting another for the moment. "Always two there are." Until a third one showed up unexpectedly! A happy blessing then, and even happier now.

I realized when I woke up this morning that I didn't hear her coughing which was sad but then thankfully a bit of a relief.

Pets, man. They're almost as bad a kids! :)

Thanks for asking.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Tallguy, do you plan on getting another dog?

I used to know someone who, when his dog dies, immediately buys another one of the same breed ... and he gives him the same name too (Albert). Dog owners are weird!

RIP Fred Ward, one of the most recognizable character actors of the 80s/90s IMO.  Because they're both among my favorite movies of all time, I immediately thought of Altman's masterpieces Short Cuts and The Player,  Ward is really excellent in both.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/fred-ward-dead-remo-williams-tremors-1235146115/

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I used to know someone who, when his dog dies, immediately buys another one of the same breed ... and he gives him the same name too (Albert). Dog owners are weird!

Yes, yes we are.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

RIP Fred Ward, one of the most recognizable character actors of the 80s/90s IMO.  Because they're both among my favorite movies of all time, I immediately thought of Altman's masterpieces Short Cuts and The Player,  Ward is really excellent in both.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/fred-ward-dead-remo-williams-tremors-1235146115/

I go right to The Right Stuff. I hate the whole "Gus screwed the pooch" storyline (which has been pretty much discredited in real life and I think it was even then) but you can't deny that Ward was perfect. (The book is so good you really don't care about what's true or not.)

I should watch Tremors again.

He always seemed like he should have had a more prominent career than he did. Oh, man. I forgot about TImerider!

On 13/05/2022 at 4:52 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

...and REMO WILLIAMS, and THE RIGHT STUFF.

R.I.P., Mr. Ward :(

His passing led me to think of Remo, which I seemed to remember enjoying back in the day ... it's never on telly, and I'm not really a streaming subscriber kinda guy. There was an extras-stuffed BluRay on eBay for £11 including postage, and well ... it's now on its way.      

I thought if I was sadder about Colin Cantwell or Ralph McQuarrie. It was a TIE. (I'll see myself out.)

Good grief! Have you read about his non-sci-fi, non-movie work! Wow!

RIP. Stay safe, Joe Johnston!

RIP Ray Liotta

https://deadline.com/2022/05/ray-liotta-dies-67-godfellas-1235033521/

Rightfully will be remembered first for Goodfellas, but I'll always think first of the family movies he did in the 90s that I liked a lot as a kid: Operation Dumbo Drop and Corrina, Corrina.  Footnotes of his career for most people, I know.

They are both evil! And yes, Pet Shop Boys are evil too! So are Bon Jovi, The Smiths, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, U2, ... Goddamn '80s!