The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad. 

Haven't seen him in many roles yet. But in the ones that I have, he always made a big impression.

His most famous role I think is in the Titanic. Where I think he is terrific

WHAT THE ACTUAL?????!!!!! :o

My second favourite actor...ever!

So, so sad.

R.I.P., Mr. Warner, and thank you for bringing me so much cinematic joy.

26 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

"Do you know, I do believe this ship might sink" (!).

He was terrific, in TITANIC, but I'll always remember him as Keith Jennings, Evil, Pomponius Falco, St. John Talbot, Chancellor Gorkon, Ed. Dillinger, and, of course, Morgan Delt.

RIP, what a legend.  One of those actors where I forget just how many things I've seen him in until I look at his CV, from The Omen to Mary Poppins Returns and everything in between, it's staggering what a great character actor career he's had.  Of particular note from more recent years, he was outstanding in the Doctor Who episode "Cold War."

People need to go watch Time After Time. I've already watched Tron a couple of times this month.

What was his most challenging role? Sadly it wasn't Titanic. And certainly not Star Trek V. He was in a lot of crap but he always made it better.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Very sad. 

Haven't seen him in many roles yet. But in the ones that I have, he always made a big impression.

You might have seen him in more than you think.  He is in three of the ST movies and the torture episode of TNG.  

1 hour ago, Stu said:

...he was outstanding in the Doctor Who episode "Cold War."

That's one of my favourite stories of Nu Who.

I love the way that he is obsessed with Ultravox.

38 minutes ago, Tom said:

He is in three of the ST movies...

STAR TREK V, STAR TREK VI. What's the third one, Tom?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

What was his most challenging role?

Oh, that's easy:

MORGAN - A SUITABLE CASE FOR TREATMENT

RIP. I only recently saw his STTNG episode again. Being in one of the best Trek episodes and in one of the best Trek films is enough to be memorable, but of course he made an impression in pretty much everything I've seen him in.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The closest thing to a third Trek movie for Warner was his return to the role of Gorkon in the PC game Star Trek: Klingon Academy, which serves as a prequel to a ST VI. (The game also explains how Chris Plummer's Chang lost his eye.)

Which means it does not count. 

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

One of my favorite movies (the remake is a joke) but apparently Warner was uncredited for his part. 

1b66f8078a29c75eaee5009b30ccc086.png

I know He was uncredited.

That's why I mentioned it!😁

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I was wrong, just those two.  I was thinking he was in TMP, but upon further checking, he was not.  

He was in a pretty good Outer Limits too.  

EDIT: ninja'd!

And another great character actor has died: Paul Sorvino, most famous for Goodfellas and being the original lead detective on Law & Order before he was replaced by Jerry Orbach.

Like David Warner, Sorvino also had a notable guest appearance in Star Trek TNG!  He played Worf's foster brother Nikolai in season 7

Nikolai_Rozhenko.jpg

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

Rest in peace, Paul Sorvino. 

Two great Star Trek TNG guest stars gone, just like that, boom boom. 

Just watched him in GODFATHER OF HARLEM!😞

Another good one gone.

Rip PS

R.I.P. David Warner, truly a talented and versatile perfomer with a lengthy and varied career. He was someone I'd harboured hopes of meeting at a convention one day ... ah well. C'est la vie. 

I was always sad that when Disney did the 20th anniversary Tron DVD they got interviews with pretty much every cast member... Except Warner. That was always a glaring exception.

23 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Not just us, then:

https://www.slashfilm.com/940523/paul-sorvinos-key-the-rocketeer-scene-is-one-of-the-great-movie-moments-of-all-time/

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Maybe he didn't want anything to do with the movie.

I did find a (recent) interview where he indicated that he was delighted to be a part of something that became as special as Tron did, but that the whole thing befuddled him them and now. Of course Barnard Hughes expressed almost the exact same opinion.

I'm sure there's great things he did that I've missed, but one of the great David Warner moments for me is in Time After Time. when Wells finds Warner's John Stevenson at his hotel.

Stevenson is all cool collected bad guy, but when Wells asks "May I come in?" you can see Stevenson's Victorian programming kick in and he hates it. There's a pause where you see all of the wheels and cogs running in his head. I love it so much.

I just saw on IMDB that The Lobe from Freakazoid made an appearance on Teen Titans: Go! How delightful.

I don't think that that is entirely true, Alex.

William Sanderson wasn't interviewed for "Dangerous Days", but it doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't like the film. In point of fact, in "Future Noir", he speaks very highly of it.

I've seen interviews with Warner, and he doesn't give the slightest hint that he did not like TRON. I do remember him saying that he was a bit bemused by it, but that doesn't mean to say that he didn't like the finished product.

A lot of actors and craftsmen often hate working on a particular film, but they still appreciate the final result.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

William Sanderson wasn't interviewed for "Dangerous Days", but it doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't like the film.

Yes, but I don't find that suspicious at all, because I know Sanderson has always loved his involvement in Blade Runner. He also liked Ridley Scott (most actors on the BR set did), it was mainly the crew that had problems with Scott and vice versa. 

However, for an actor not appearing in the credits is quite a different story. It's hard to believe that someone simply forgot to add his name. 

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

However, for an actor not appearing in the the credits is quite a different story. It's hard to believe that someone simply forgot to add his name. 

Wha'? You're saying that Warner's name is nowhere in the credits of TRON?

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'? You're saying that Warner's name is nowhere in the credits of TRON?

I meant Straw Dogs! 

On 28/07/2022 at 10:58 AM, Giftheck said:

I was properly saddened by this, despite his long life ... he was part of my childhood thanks to Jackanory and The Wombles, and I loved his turn as an extremely fussy guest in an episode of Fawlty Towers. And he was, of course, absolutely brilliant as Wilf in Doctor Who. 

R.I.P. Bernard ... a true national treasure.