The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

26 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I was properly saddened by this, despite his long life ... he was part of my childhood thanks to Jackanory and The Wombles, and I loved his turn as an extremely fussy guest in an episode of Fawlty Towers. And he was, of course, absolutely brilliant as Wilf in Doctor Who. 

R.I.P. Bernard ... a true national treasure. 

I always feel that the peas are an integral part of the overall flavor

19 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

RIP NN

DId she do much acting after ST?

I can't recall any non- TREK roles off hand.

She did a lot of voice acting, and was in the Disney movie Snow Dogs, which I saw a lot as a kid. Also I recall her guest stint on Heroes. 

RIP and respect! 

I don't think I've ever seen Nichelle Nichols in anything other than Trek, and because I've only seen bits and pieces of TOS, mostly in the films, where they've never given her character much space (no pun intended). But judging from all the comments in the extras of the various Trek releases, the tributes on the internet, the MLK anecdote, and everything else, it seems impossible to overstate her influence and her importance as a role model. RIP.

She was a role model for those who were used to seeing black women on TV as maids and servants, not equals to their male crewmates. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/whoopi-goldberg-nichelle-nichols-tribute-the-view-1235190148/

There was one episode she voiced of the Animated Series where all the males went bonkers and Uhura got to take the Captain’s Seat and command the Enterprise.  It’s too bad they never did that live action.   But no matter, she earned every bit of regard and respect. 

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I was just coming to post this. Lovely. I've read several remarks over the years about his Hamlet. I wish we could see it.

Aw man, RIP David McCullough, the best popular American historian of the last 50 years.  I've read every single one of his books, they're all awesome, especially the classic biography of John Adams of course.  He also had one of those classic "trustworthy" American voices, perfect for the documentaries and audiobooks he narrated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/books/david-mccullough-dead.html

From wholesome girl nextdoor, to biker chick, to raunchy workout prick teaser, and beyond, ONJ, like all the best pop artists, had a knack for re-inventing herself.

R.I.P., Ms. Newton John.

Is it me, or is this year shaping up to be 2016 Pt. II?

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

RIP to Olivia Newton-John.  End-of-movie Sandy was one of my first childhood crushes

She was hot as both "nice" and "bad" Sandy.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Aw man, RIP David McCullough, the best popular American historian of the last 50 years.  I've read every single one of his books, they're all awesome, especially the classic biography of John Adams of course.  He also had one of those classic "trustworthy" American voices, perfect for the documentaries and audiobooks he narrated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/books/david-mccullough-dead.html

Well f*ck. He was fantastic. I just finished Americans in Paris. Also read John Adams, 1776, Pioneers, Truman & Mornings on Horseback. Along with Edmund Morris's Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, John Adams is probably the best Presidential bio I've ever read.

With injuries like that, it was no surprise that her family said she was "not expected to survive".

R.I.P., Ms Heche.

Also, it's farewell, this week, Raymond Briggs, and Brad "Always" Johnson (died in March, but death announced only this month).

I have this weird thing where for no reason at all I've always had trouble keeping straight the filmographies of Wolfgang Petersen and Peter Weir.  I'm always like "Did Weir direct Air Force One?"  or "Did Peterson direct Master and Commander?"  No idea why.

Either way, Petersen directed some of the most fun popcorn flicks of the 80s and 90s.  RIP!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I have this weird thing where for no reason at all I've always had trouble keeping straight the filmographies of Wolfgang Petersen and Peter Weir.  I'm always like "Did Weir direct Air Force One?"  or "Did Peterson direct Master and Commander?"  No idea why.

I get this but with me it was always Petersen and Roland Emmerich 

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I get this but with me it was always Petersen and Roland Emmerich 

That's me!

I couldn't stand Air Force One (and it being directed by a German takes second place in the irony ratings just after Randy Newman being asked to score it). Neverending Journey was too long ago to remember it (my main memory/point of annoyance was that it ends after the first half of the book, which is very much incomplete in scope of what the book is trying to say afair). I did rewatch Das Boot a while ago, and while it's never really done much for me, I appreciate that it was quite an accomplishment at the time.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I couldn't stand Air Force One (and it being directed by a German takes second place in the irony ratings just after Randy Newman being asked to score it).

Independence Day was directed by a German who co-wrote it with a Filipino-American. German cinematographer, German VFX supervisor, English composer. 

Petersen should be remembered for replacing Gabriel Yared behind his back and rejecting one of the greatest scores of the 2000s. Not much of a worse honor than that.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The Never Ending Story. Worst movie ever

Not even in the running.

He was certainly a director where you would be very aware and maybe a fan of at least one of his films. And surprised and possibly appalled at at least one of his others.

I love The Neverending Story.

It was this little cis boy's first introduction to boobies on the big screen. Even though I first saw it on VHS. 

Who wouldn't want to latch onto the Southern Oracle and suck it all day? I guess you could say it became my scientific specialty.