The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

The Original Uncut version (293 minutes) of Das Boot is practically the same as the 6 part TV series. Unless there is an even longer TV series?

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The Original Uncut version (293 minutes) of Das Boot is practically the same as the 6 part TV series. Unless there is an even longer TV series?

From the wiki:

image.png

10 hours ago, eitam said:

I always thought Troy was a lot better than its reputation would suggest. 

Its great spectacle, but as a narrative it falls somewhat apart, mostly on the fact that Pitt's Achilles is too much of a brute, and his relationship with Briseis exhibits too strong a shade of Stockholm Syndrome.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

But you don't mean that veeery long three part TV cut he created? 

Yes, all the REALLLY long cuts of Das Boot are meant to be viewed serially on television, not as a single movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Long live to the King in this case.

Unless an extraordinary abdication, Charles Prince of Wales, will be our King.

I guess it will be announced in the next minutes.

My husband just tell me the transfer is automatic, already at the gates of Buckingham a paper says that the King and the Queen consort are currently in displacement out of London.

image.png

16 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Rest In Peace & Power Queen Elizabeth.

A great person and example for a lot of people around the world.

Very very sad.

Just don't say anything about colonizing India. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:
19 hours ago, Positivatee said:

England just got a new PM. Have they ruled out foul play? 

Honestly, she must be feeling so weird.

That's what I thought long *before* she was appointed…

As for Elizabeth, regardless of my views on monarchy (which I expect most who know me can guess), and while acknowledging that there are many different angles and reasons for reservations, as far as monarchs go, much (if surely not all) of her track record seems largely positive, and her unwavering dedication to her job (deserved or not) and country for 70+ years certainly leaves an impressive legacy. RIP.

Here's the piece Walton wrote for her coronation:

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I wonder what state the Queen was in when she saw Truss.

"Oh, no! Not another fucking Tory PM. I just hope she's better than the last fuck-up?".

Was that over the top? I can never tell.

Excited Jim Carrey GIF

In Canada the acceptation of the Monarchy is fragile, but no politician have the taste to reopen the Constitution to remove it. It's at the very base of our democratic system, we are a constitutional monarchy. It's complicated.

Let's see what King Charles III will bring to the fading lustre of his family.

By example, what will he do with his scandalous brother Andrew, first of all...  

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Let's see what King Charles III will bring to

the fading lustre of his family...

Ah, Bes! That's poetry. I mean it. I'm not being facetious, or sarcastic.

It pretty well sums up the royals, at the moment.

William and Kate Middleton are officially the Prince and Princess of Wales, King Charles III announced in his first address to the UK as a monarch.

Yes, I understand it's quite unprecedented to have a royal accession at the precise same time that a new government is being formed.  Not that this is anything close to a constitutional crisis or anything, just a lot of procedural issues to figure out.

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

You're just a left-wing politically correct snowflake! (I still have no idea what that word means.)

I'm definitely not a snowflake.

Politically-speaking, I would describe myself as "slightly to the right of left-of-centre".

Agreed, 100%.

I see no reason for the entire country to come to a halt, just because someone has died.

Only yesterday, I went and bought a packet of biscuits (Custard Creams, if you must know), so, what the fuss? Life goes on.

One cannot deny the importance of Her Majesty, and the shock and sadness that has informed most people's reaction to her death. It's not every day that a queen shuffles off this mortal coil.

Cancelling just about everything, though, is pushing it.

Yesterday, I was looking forward to popping over to a friend's house, to watch Fulham vs. Chelsea. Today, I'm typing this shit. Go figure.

There will be millions of people who are affected by Elizabeth's death. I am one of them. There will be many more who just won't give a monkey's. Be sad; pay your respects, in whatever way seems appropriate to you, and then get on with your life.

Life will go on, as it did after George VI, and as it will after Charles III.

Let your mourning be a part of your existence, but do not let it define your existence.

On 09/09/2022 at 3:05 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

That's what I thought long *before* she was appointed…

As for Elizabeth, regardless of my views on monarchy (which I expect most who know me can guess), and while acknowledging that there are many different angles and reasons for reservations, as far as monarchs go, much (if surely not all) of her track record seems largely positive, and her unwavering dedication to her job (deserved or not) and country for 70+ years certainly leaves an impressive legacy. RIP.

Here's the piece Walton wrote for her coronation:

I assume it's Orb and Sceptre (another "not available in my country" YouTube...)? I have some follow up comments and queries but I'll move those to the classical thread! Still, RIP Ma'am (as another one of the many "I'm not really a royalist but I quite liked the Queen" types who now seem to be everywhere, poor Charles...).

29 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I assume it's Orb and Sceptre (another "not available in my country" YouTube...)?

Indeed. By the CBSO and "provided to YouTube by Warner Classics", so rather odd that it's blocked for you.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Indeed. By the CBSO and "provided to YouTube by Warner Classics", so rather odd that it's blocked for you.

Guernsey is “special” that way! I think I have that recording anyway so I shall go give it a spin (or digital equivalent).