The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

But he didn't technically "kill himself". He was battling drug addiction for the past few decades and likely accidentally overdosed. There is some speculation that it might be related to an incident (I believe at a party or some event) where drugs secretly laced with fentanyl were being shared, multiple celebrities died from it over the weekend.

And this is in no way "glorifying". He was a well-known actor and likely has many fans on this site. No matter the cause, it's still a sad situation.

RIP. Omar Little alone was iconic role that will secure him immortality. One of the great characters in fiction greatly enhanced by his performance. I also heard he was an incredibly kind person as well. So sad. :(

Karol

16 hours ago, Holko said:

RIP Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Started playing the Morricone set's selection from Le Professionnel.

Yes, sad news, and quite unexpected despite his advanced age. He attended some official event just a couple of weeks prior to his death.

With the passing of so many New Wave stars in recent years (Agnes Varda last year, for example, Anna Karina shortly before that), that period is slowly starting to fade into a dream-like state. Except Godard, of course (and thankfully so)....he's like the Keith Richards of the French New Wave.

Please think a bit further before lashing out. I'm putting the spotlight on an obvious issue here - that they removed a black actor from one of the main roles after filming, and replaced him with a white dude. That's doesn't look good in my book.

Please think a bit further before instantly brainlessly posting any tasteless irrelevant slop that comes into your head. Develop some sort of filter.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why was he replaced on Solo?

Because they changed directors (Lord & Miller, to Ron Howard), and had to rework and refilm things, and he was doing Red Sea Diving Resort by then.

Two sad news in one day.

To me Belmondo was Le Magnifique, it was the first time I saw him in a movie and he was so great

Le Magnifique - film 1973 - AlloCiné

I've mostly seen Michael K. Williams in his small cinema apparences like Twelve Years a Slave, Kill the Messenger, Brooklyn's Finest in which he was always great.

But to me he'll always be the greatest Biology teacher for his apperence in Community

image.png

RIP both of you and thanks for your art

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why was he replaced on Solo? Because it took a while for the producers to discover he's black due to the bad lighting conditions?

First: Any chance to bag on the cinematography in Solo is a win.

Second: Who the hell knows why anyone did anything on that movie. It's amazing that I love it as much as I do. If only I had been able to see it.

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

First: Any chance to bag on the cinematography in Solo is a win.

Second: Who the hell knows why anyone did anything on that movie. It's amazing that I love it as much as I do. If only I had been able to see it.

It's even more consistent than Rogue One!

Doesn't take much, I know...

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know if the things Bespin and Jurassic Shark said about MKW are technically against the rules or not, but geez guys, talk about gross and pointless posts that many people using our forum don't want to see here.  Read the room and maybe find another place online to share these kinds of thoughts would be my advice.

Again, you're missing the point.

For what it's worth (which, coming from me, is not much, I know, but...) I read @Jurassic Shark's comment as a jibe against the cinematography of SOLO, and certainly not as a comment on the colour of a deceased actor's skin.

The fact that Howard et. al. wanted him back seems to indicate their willingness to, somehow, right a wrong.

One can only reach out to the Williams family, in whatever way that one can, and hope and pray that they will be able to find a way through this most saddest of occurrences.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For what it's worth (which, coming from me, is not much, I know, but...) I read @Jurassic Shark's comment as a jibe against the cinematography of SOLO, and certainly not as a comment on the colour of a deceased actor's skin.

The fact that Howard et. al. wanted him back seems to indicate their willingness to, somehow, right a wrong.

One can only reach out to the Williams family, in whatever way that one can, and hope and pray that they will be able to find a way through this most saddest of occurrences.

Thanks for that, Richard. My original comment was criticism of Hollywood's allergy against black actors in major roles (by referring to the wretched lighting decisions of the movie), as already explained:

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Please think a bit further before lashing out. I'm putting the spotlight on an obvious issue here - that they removed a black actor from one of the main roles after filming, and replaced him with a white dude. That's doesn't look good in my book.

RIP Norm MacDonald...

Loved watching him on SNL back in the day, especially the weekend update news segments.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-macdonald-dead-obituary-comedian-saturday-night-live-weekend-update-anchor-was-61-1234833212/

Was just listening to one of my favorite comedians (Joe Stapleton) talk on several podcasts about how he met Norm and Norm eventually asked him to open for him on his recent tours.  Crazy.

There are tons of great clips of Norm.  Here are a few.

https://youtu.be/5F6dXcW-_Fc

As others mentioned, he was the best Weekend Update host as well.  If you search YouTube for “Norm MacDonald Jokes” you’ll find hours of compilations of joke readings from his video podcast or whatever. Always worth a watch.

His "Note to self" jokes on Update were just so stupid and great.  Norm on SNL, Conan's show, and The Dana Carvey Show all happening right there in the 90s were so huge for me in shaping my taste in comedy way back.  All three were shows I taped on VHS and watched over and over.

I probably think of a different Norm joke once a month. His Norm Macdonald Live show was outrageously funny. 

A very pertinent bit from his standup

He was often quite critical of fellow comedians who he felt were too "confessional" or used their life's struggles in a way that he felt too easily earned sympathy from the audience. Sometimes I thought he was being harsh but it hits differently knowing he was going around the last ten years without anybody having a clue he was sick. 

I will happily admit that, until I'd read of his death (and on this website, I might add), I'd never heard of Norm MacDonald.

After watching these clips, I am, now, a fan.

His "battle against cancer" routine, is priceless, and sums up exactly what I think of all those who try to turn a disease into some sort of personal crusade cum struggle for survival...in other words; bullshit.

Bravo, Mr. MacDonald. I will watch a lot more.

I never really connected to his comedy, but I was well aware of who he was, and I've seen him in multiple things. Sorry to see him go much too young, I didn't know he was ill.

• 1 month later...