The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

:kaboom:

That's it, Alex. You and me are over. We are so over, we never even began.

We were over from the moment you said Platinum beats Tubular Bells, Kamakiriad beats The Nightfly, and Two Against Nature beats Aja. That's just contrarian nonsense and you know it!

I never - NEVER - said anything of the sort.

In every example that you've cited, I will willingly concede that the latter is far greater than the former. All I am saying is that I prefer the former to the latter.

So...are we cool?

• 3 weeks later...

Another all-time great character actor has left us.  RIP Philip Baker Hall

https://www.thewrap.com/philip-baker-hall-star-of-magnolia-and-boogie-nights-dies-at-90/

Secret Honor and Magnolia are his two best performances IMO, but he had small but memorable roles in so many good movies and shows over the years.  The Library Investigator in Seinfeld!

4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

He was also in Seinfeld.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Loved him in Magnolia and Seinfeld

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

A clip from one of his lesser known roles - see if you can guess it!

That's from Mad About You, right?

(That clip is really funny.)

I haven't seen Trintingnant in much, so I'm probably more familiar with his name than his work. But when reading the news, I immediately remembered his understated yet striking performance in Trois couleurs: Rouge.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once coined the verb "Vic Mizzied": To hear that someone died that you didn't know was still alive. I was Vic Mizzied by the news of Turkel's death.

Has anyone mentioned the tremendous Gregory Jein?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/gregory-jein-dead-star-trek-model-maker-1235173622/

Close Encounters and 1941 would have been enough for anyone else.

I had a huge Godfather-obsessed phase around ages 13-14 and Sonny will be the role that gives him immortality, but as a teen I also loved him in Wes Anderson's first movie Bottle Rocket.  He was a great comedic actor when he had the opportunity!

bottle-rocket-1996-james-caan-martial-arts-training-review-wes-anderson.jpg

Only a few months ago I finally watched the Godfather trilogy (I'd only seen the first one before, long ago, and dubbed). Afterwards I wasn't sure and had to look up if Caan was still alive, and was glad to learn that he was. RIP.

Why do I cry for people who die and I even don't know them personnaly?

JAMES CAAN (1940-2022).

:(

No, but it might be his best roll.

As a kid I was disappointed with Rollerball, don't remember why. Haven't seen it since. They don't play old movies anymore. The public doesn't want that. They want something recent, something they skipped watching in theaters.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Now he can’t personally sue anyone else for suggesting that John Barry wrote the Bond theme.

Monty Norman: "So what now, John Barry? Are we to be two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and the James Bond trumpets sound?"

On 11/07/2022 at 1:59 PM, Drew said:

Now he can’t personally sue anyone else for suggesting that John Barry wrote the Bond theme.

60 years after the fact, we clearly know what part is Norman and what part is John Barry. ;)

RIP to that old good guitar rifle composer.

8 hours ago, Drew said:

But, the damned estate can.

Look at those cretins who administer the estates of Holst and R. Strauss!😠😡

R.I.P. to Mr Norman indeed ... the Bond theme's swaggering, stirring brilliance is down to both his and Barry's talents on different fronts, but his frustrations were understandable.  

On 11/07/2022 at 3:01 PM, Tallguy said:

Monty Norman: "So what now, John Barry? Are we to be two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and the James Bond trumpets sound?"

It will be like that STAR TREK TOS ep  with the twins locked together in battle for all eternity!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

It will be like that STAR TREK TOS ep  with the twins locked together in battle for all eternity!

"What of Norman? What of Norman..."