The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

He gave us the definitive portrayal of Batman. His voice and performance would be absolutely perfect for every iteration of the character. He left quite a mark on my childhood and imagination

I'm no DC fan, but I do have memories of watching the Batman cartoon series and every time I see a drawing of Batman, my brain automatically assigns the dialogue Kevin Conroy's voice. 66 is not old these days. This is truly shocking.

15 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

@Nick Parker pointed towards this comic Conroy wrote this year about how his life experiences led to him taking the Batman role, which really does serve to highlight how much all sorts of voices do matter in media:

https://why-i-love-comics.tumblr.com/post/686429424926736384/dc-pride-1-finding-batman-2022-written-by

Thanks for sharing this.

Karol

Mehran Karimi Nasseri, an Iranian man who lived for 18 years in Paris’s Charles de Gaulle airport and inspired the 2004 Steven Spielberg film The Terminal died on Saturday in the airport.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/12/iranian-man-who-lived-in-paris-charles-de-gaulle-airport-for-18-years-dies

RIP Christine McVie :(

What a legend, I'm glad I got to see the classic 70s/80s lineup on their final tour several years ago.  Christine has always been my favorite.

I effing love "Brown Eyes."  And obviously her hits on Rumours ("You Make Loving Fun", "Don't Stop") will live eternal.

Is the word given, Admiral?

The word is given, Mister Saavik. 

Rest in peace, Rebecca Howe.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/kirstie-alley-dies-71-after-cancer-battle-family/story?id=94525889&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Oh no!

In the late 80s and early 90, I had four big US screen crushes -- Natalie Portman, Winona Ryder, Courtney Thorne-Smith and Kirstie Alley. I encountered Alley first in LOOK WHO'S TALKING in the theatre (at the tender age of 12), then on television in NORTH & SOUTH and CHEERS. Sam and Rebecca never quite had the same chemistry as Sam and Diane, but eventually I got used to the new dynamic. The STAR TREK thing wasn't until much, much later and remains a parenthesis for me as far as Alley appreciation is concerned. Was never really a big STAR TREK fan.

Later in life, she became rather wonky, of course (Scientology, bizarre opinions, erratic behaviour and all that), so the crush quickly faded, but it was pretty intense there for a period.

Sad either way.

Has anyone here ever seen her scenes in Wrath of Khan before she re-dubbed them? They're terrible. She has none of the charm, the sparkle, the edge that we know from that performance. As I understand it she was given acting lessons during filming and (I think?) during post production. She and Meyer were able to completely reinvent that performance in ADR! And she was obviously game for all of it. It became a terrific performance and it made Saavik a character we wanted to come back to. I just wonder how many other performers could have been as initially wrong footed as she was and yet have the humility and the work ethic to turn something like that around?

Then she went on to a rather remarkably varied career. Sure, she stuck mostly to comedy after Cheers, it was obviously where her strength was. She was on a TV series, Masquerade, right after Khan where she had that smart aleck-y kind of performance that isn't necessarily comedy but isn't straight drama either. I wish she had been able to do more like that.

RIP, Lieutenant.

ab67616d0000b2736aa7b2a51e1859883fccda9b.jpeg

Bob McGrath passed last week.  Like Fred Rogers, he seemed like the real deal.  I really miss children's entertainment that is gentle, genuine, and without snark.

13 hours ago, Andy said:

ab67616d0000b2736aa7b2a51e1859883fccda9b.jpeg

Bob McGrath passed last week.  Like Fred Rogers, he seemed like the real deal.  I really miss children's entertainment that is gentle, genuine, and without snark.

Classic Sesame Street had just the right amount of snark. I wish it had still been around when my kids were little instead of The Elmo Show.

When I was little I thought Bob was awesome.

Yes, I adored the human characters just as much as the muppet ones.   Gordon, Susan, Luis, Maria, David… they were so real to me. 

I have the Old School DVDs and could watch Ernie and Bert  skits forever. Their comic timing is absolutely amazing. 

They were (and are) mostly the straight-men.  Sometimes they look at the camera exasperatedly in response to the puppets.

They were (and are) mostly the straight-men.  Sometimes they look at the camera exasperatedly in response to the puppets.

I do miss the hour-long episodes.  It’s entirely at the expense of the non-story segments, which were always my favorite part as a kid.  Stuff like narrated real-life videos of people doing different jobs or kids playing, puppet skits, animated shorts.  Now it’s pretty much story, letter of the day, number of the day, and two longer “skit”-type segments (usually part of a series, like Elmo’s World, Cookie Monster’s food truck, etc), and then out the door.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I always preferred Robin Curtis Saavik if I'm honest.

Nobody's perfect, Stu.

It's true that Alley did herself no favours by declining to appear in III, but she definitely made an impression, in II. I can't help thinking that III, as good as it is, would have been a better film with Alley.

I’m not sure I ever liked Alley in anything, tbh.  (I haven’t seen Cheers or Star Trek, but I’ve seen most of her other major movie and TV roles).  She always seemed to be doing the same thing.

Kelsey Grammer and the producers wanted her to be in the shot on the bridge in the TNG Cause and Effect, which would have been an absolutely perfect send off.  I think she was dealing with some health issue, which prevented it from happening.