The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

:( 

IMHO, this is the best use of his most famous song in a movie:

I don’t know any other movies with this song but this scene and song fits perfectly together.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

R.I.P., Hugh Hudson :(

Austrian news website ORF.at says:

Der für den Film „Die Stunde des Siegers“ 1981 mit vier Oscars ausgezeichnete britische Regisseur Hugh Hudson ist tot. Der 86-Jährige sei gestern „nach kurzer Krankheit“ in London gestorben, erklärte seine Familie. Hudsons Film „Die Stunde des Siegers“ ist insbesondere durch den Soundtrack der Band Vangelis in Erinnerung geblieben.

Translated by Google (too lazy to do it myself):

British director Hugh Hudson, who won four Oscars for the film "The Hour of the Winner" in 1981, is dead. The 86-year-old died yesterday "after a short illness" in London, his family said. Hudson's film "The Hour of the Victor" is remembered in particular for the soundtrack by the band Vangelis.

(Emphasis mine)

7 hours ago, Brando said:

I don’t know any other movies with this song but this scene and song fits perfectly together.

Forest Gump comes to mind, not used as well as in this scene, but still in the background. 

Over the last week, film composers Alain Goraguer (LA PLANETE SAUVAGE) and Gerald Fried have both passed away. Sad, but with impressive ages. Goraguer was 91, Fried was 95.

It's funny, just last night - on the day he passed - I was playing Fried's SHOTGUN SLADE.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

At least you guys still have Giacchino.

Hey, we're nice to you

Actually, I like G. And I like his Trek scores. 

We also have... All? Of the Berman era composers, right? Not counting the movies because obviously Jerry is gone. 

Fried’s Trek music was superb. Looking past the obvious iconic Amok Time themes, his Paradise Syndrome and Private Little War scores are sublime.  Sad, the last significant composer for Kirk’s Enterprise has passed. 

3 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

The Finnegan music is still my favorite of the stuff he did. (Apart from the badass Enterprise fanfares in Amok Time)

Now that is music written to be remembered. Love it. 

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

He wrote those fanfares for Friday's Child, but yes, absolutely. 

Then why are they in with the rest of the Amok Time music on the LLL?

Talking about Enterprise/Prying, Episode Title/Log, Deep Thought, Resignation/Pig's Eye.

R.I.P. Charles Knode

"Knode designed the costumes for the 1972 epic BBC drama of Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace" which starred amongst others, Anthony Hopkins as Pierre Bezukhov. Among his first jobs on leaving the BBC was on Monty Python's Life of Brian. He has appeared as an extra in many of the Monty Python films. He has won 2 BAFTA Awards. The first for the Ridley Scott film "Blade Runner" and the second for "Braveheart". His designs have also appeared in a number of music videos starring Kate Bush . In 1996, In addition to winning the BAFTA award he was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the acclaimed Mel Gibson epic Braveheart. He won an Emmy Award for Alice in Wonderland in 1999. He has designed many costumes for the Hallmark Channel, Including "Snow White" starring Sigourney Weaver and "Dinotopia"."

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'???!!! :o

@Thor, you've never heard anything by Weather Report???!!! You haven't lived, mate.

Yeah, I have. I just googled his work, and found many things I liked. I had a Weather Report cassette as a kid that I listened to a lot. I think it was Sportin' Life, which featured Shorter. I'm also a big Santana fan, and there was another connection. Shame I learn about such connections only after their passing.

Wayne Shorter is one of those names that I'm pretty sure should be more than just a name to me, but isn't (yet). I associate him mostly with two things I've been meaning to check out for a long time - Weather Report, and Miles Davis's Bitches Brew. I did briefly listen to snippets by Weather Report back in 2007 when Zawinul died, but somehow lost track and never picked up any of their albums. I guess it's time to rectify that.