The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

It is also worth mentioning that out of all of the Bond songs that were written by non-film composers, Turner's GoldenEye this is still one of the most iconic and memorable. Yes, it might be a bit more pop but has the kind of charismatic energy that Shirley Bassey had. 

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is also worth mentioning that out of all of the Bond songs that were written by non-film composers, Turner's GoldenEye this is still one of the most iconic and memorable. Yes, it might be a bit more pop but has the kind of charismatic energy that Shirley Bassey had.

The only Bond song since that can compete with it is You Know My Name.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Believe it or not, I haven't listened to any Tina Turner except 4 songs:

Goldeneye, You're Simply the best, What's love got to do with it,  Cose della vita.

50 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm partial to The World is Not Enough. And Surrender isn't a title song. And the original post specified "non-film composers". With all those carve out's, Bono and The Edge's Goldeneye performed by Tina Turner is tops.

I'm glad that it's gotten more love over the years. It wasn't all that popular back in the day.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I saw Tina Turner 30 years ago this summer. She was Amazing live. But the concert experience was less than fun. An August night in Little Rock is a night of hellish heat and humidity.

• 2 weeks later...

Cormac McCarthy has died.

I only finished reading Blood Meridian a couple of weeks ago, and The Road before that. The images he conjured up will forever be etched in my brain...for better or worse.

R.I.P.

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

The starring role I have seen him is Smooth Talk.

All I remember from Smooth Talk is Treat Williams talking for 90 minutes with Laura 'Jurassic Park' Dern in front of her house. Or am I thinking of another movie?

Why haven't people here seen Prince Of The City? That's easily his  most impressive role/movie.

48 minutes ago, AC1 said:

All I remember from Smooth Talk is Treat Williams talking for 90 minutes with Laura 'Jurassic Park' Dern in front of her house. Or am I thinking of another movie?

Why haven't people here seen Prince Of The City? That's easily his  most impressive role/movie.

Yeah, that's it.

Hadn't heard of Prince of the city until now that he died.

I'm gonna watch it soon, but the duration put me off a bit.

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Hadn't heard of Prince of the city until now that he died.

I'm gonna watch it soon, but the duration put me off a bit.

Yes, it's 3 hours long and the subject matter isn't exactly light-hearted. 

I think TV series too are to blame for lowering one's attention span. Over the years I got used to the running time of 40-50 minutes.  

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I think TV series too are to blame for lowering ones attention span. Over the years I got used to the running time of 40-50 minutes.  

My attention to BEN-HUR was at its fullest. Unfortunately, so was my bladder :lol:

Wooooow. That hit hard. What a loss.

I just finished The Kominsky Method a few weeks ago and watched Argo last week when it was on tv. Incredible actor!!

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

R.I.P. Alan Arkin

Apparently not:

https://en.mediamass.net/people/alan-arkin/deathhoax.html

That's the only source I can find right now, but Wikipedia changes about his death were reverted, and despite of endless "RIP Alan Arkin" tweets, I can't find a single link to a source (it all goes back to Jason Alexander tweeting RIP without any context or link).

It doesn't help that it's apparently not the first death hoax about him, you can find several on Google…

Apparently it's true after all and has now been confirmed by the family. RIP.

12 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So is this Jason Alexander's sick humor? How funny!  

I guess not, but it goes to show why serious news like these should always be posted with a source. His tweet didn't have one, and for several hours everybody seems to have been referring just to that.

APOCALYPSE NOW; THE MISSOURI BREAKS; FALLING DOWN; THE CONVERSATION; THE ROSE; HAMMETT; ALL THE KING'S MEN; ONE FROM THE HEART.

Forrest was never a conventional leading man, nor a true star, but his work was always worth watching.

R.I.P, Mr. Forrest.