Films you wish were scored by Williams

tmarps

I'm going to join everyone else in saying Harry Potter. I actually think if he did all of them, then the series could be just as great musically as Star Wars.

But even without him, the other composers should have stuck with more of the themes he had established . For example, I watched Half-Blood Prince recently and I was thinking as Fawkes was flying around at the end it would have been a perfect opportunity to do some kind of melancholic throwback to 'Fawkes the Pheonix'.

@Nathan95 it was a grave mistake to contstanly keep switching composers for the HP series. Maybe this is because composers such as Patrick Doyle didn’t want to continue scoring those films, but it would’ve been good for WB to find a composer who would be committed to them all (at least past PoA). 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why didn't he?

I would guess cause it was 2002 and his schedule was full? Harry Potter 2, SW Ep II, Minority Report and Catch me if you can. Oh, and everything they did for 20th anniversary of E.T

1 hour ago, tmarps said:

it was a grave mistake to contstanly keep switching composers for the HP series.

From the point of view of film-score nerds, maybe.  The movies themselves were all massive hits, so I'm not sure what they did counts as a mistake at all, much less a grave one.

6 hours ago, Nathan95 said:

I would guess cause it was 2002 and his schedule was full? Harry Potter 2, SW Ep II, Minority Report and Catch me if you can. Oh, and everything they did for 20th anniversary of E.T

Yeah, apparently that's why. He was also supposed to Black Cauldron back in the day, which I would like more for the possiblities of the score than the movie itself, but hey, I would have liked Johnny to score practically any Disney film. Rescuers Down Under comes to mind, probably was tracked to hell with his music.

57 minutes ago, dtw42 said:

The Prestige.

JW does good magic music. He could have brought Nixon-esque darkness to the latter part of the film. Sadly, he was kinda busy around then.

David Julyan's score was (for me at least) less interesting than it should have been.

That's actually a really interesting and out there choice.  That would have made for an interesting Williams score.  

11 hours ago, tmarps said:

@Nathan95 it was a grave mistake to contstanly keep switching composers for the HP series. Maybe this is because composers such as Patrick Doyle didn’t want to continue scoring those films, but it would’ve been good for WB to find a composer who would be committed to them all (at least past PoA). 

Doyle wasn't asked back. When David Yates was hired he had a previous collaboration with Nicholas Hooper and brought him onto Movie 5. Director preference.

Then Hooper was out for Deathly Hallows, claiming work exhaustion. Williams was apparently approached but didn't work out and Desplat got the gig. 

1 hour ago, dtw42 said:

Which bit are you dubious about?

It was just an idea ;-)

Nolan's musical aesthetics are so far removed from Williams', it's a pipe dream. It's not like he couldn't fathom how a JW score might sound like and needed to see the light. He just doesn't want those kind of scores.

Oh sure; I wasn't supposing that JW ever could have been hired for that. Just imagining what it might have produced.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Nolan's musical aesthetics are so far removed from Williams', it's a pipe dream. It's not like he couldn't fathom how a JW score might sound like and needed to see the light. He just doesn't want those kind of scores.

JWFan Platinum would never be marred by such speculation in the first place.

Julyan's score is not what one might expect, but I find it fits the film well and conjures a strange, otherwordly atmosphere.  Flashy magic a la Harry Potter would have been dreadful.  Dark Nixon brooding, maybe, but it wouldn't be so distinctive as Julyan's weird processed/stretched/reversed orchestrations.

I'll grant it must work in the film. I liked the film a lot when I saw it at the cinema* and then went out and bought the CD.

It just turned out to be bleh as a standalone listening experience. I hadn't listened to it much since then; have re-played the disc since this thread set off, and although I've warmed to it a little (perhaps because of the variety of stuff I've listened to between 2006 and now!), it's still a bit bleh. All just my opinion of course :-)

*even though I saw the twist coming because I'd read the basic premise as a thought-experiment in a book some years before ... possibly the same place that Christopher Priest had read it before writing the novel. God, how I wish I could remember exactly where - it must be on my bookshelves somewhere.

Ladyhawke.

Mainly because I'd like to see anyone else do the score for Ladyhawke.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, crumbs said:

Potters 4-8. Such a wasted opportunity, musically, in years where Williams' schedule was criminally lean. 

Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Indeed.  Quite possibly Absolutely the biggest missed opportunity in film score history, for all parties involved.

The only thing that stood between him doing Harry Potters 5-8 was an arrogant dumbass named David Yates. Granted, I do enjoy Hooper's and Desplat's efforts quite a lot.

Distracted Yates.jpg

12 hours ago, Drew said:

The only thing that stood between him doing Harry Potters 5-8 was an arrogant dumbass named David Yates.

Hmmmmm. 

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

If it's ever filmed (which seems unlikely, but you never know) I'd love to hear his score for THE WIDOWS OF EASTWICK.

I imagine it would have sounded a lot like The Witches of Eastwick.

11 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Hmmmmm. 

I guess 5-7 then, if you count the scheduling conflict with Tintin that would have occurred with the last one anyway.

Hmmmm...

2001: A Space Odyssey

Tree of Life

a Ghibli anime film

and as much I love Debney's score for The Passion of Christ, I'd love to hear what Williams would come up with.

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Tree of Life actually could have been a great project for Williams.  Loved the movie but can't remember any of Desplat's score

that's because I think only one minute or so of it was used! ;)

Probably the minute that was used towards the end of the teaser trailer. So glad when it showed up in the actual film (heard when the baby takes its first steps, iirc)

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hmmmm...as much I love Debney's score for The Passion of Christ, I'd love to hear what Williams would come up with.

Or Horner!

”Mel, I’ve found this Libyan type of bagpipe. Should we use it for Jesus? No? Okay, I’ll just use Ulieann Pipes, than!”

• 3 years later...

Williams was doing literally no movie in 2007, 2009 and 2010. He could've scored all the Yates-directed Potter movies if Yates wasn't such a dumbass. 

Sure , he may have thought that Williams' music would be too "childish" and his Potter movies needed something more dark and dramatic... But this only shows that he wasn't aware of scores like Prisoner of Azkaban, War of the Worlds, Revenge of the Sith, etc. Williams could've delivered the dark score Yates wanted if he wasn't so stupid. 

Also, I like Gia's Jurassic World scores, but a part of me will always be curious for the score Williams could've wrote if he was invited.