Films you wish were scored by Williams

tmarps

I would love one day a John Williams' Ready Player One Cut

Also I would have prefer him to score the Mandalorian, it would have been less boring specially on season 2

Finally I'm quite curious about how Williams would scored both a modern superhero movie and a Star Trek flick

I wish he had scored Alien as he planned to but sort of think his approach would have been like the first half of CEOTK so we kind of got that.

24 minutes ago, karelm said:

I wish he had scored Alien as he planned to but sort of think his approach would have been like the first half of CEOTK so we kind of got that.

But then probably Jerry Goldsmith would have scored Superman as originally planned.

46 minutes ago, karelm said:

I've never heard of that before. Do we know why it didn't happen?

I wouldn't want to change anything about Williams career up through 2001. 

Starting in 2002, I wish Spielberg moved his movie releases around so Williams could have given his normal routine to Attack of the Clones and Harry Potter 2 (and Harry Potter 3), and been able to score Harry Potter 4 (Spielberg produced Geisha and directed Munich that both conflicted with it).

Ditto for Bridge of Spies and Ready Player One, I wish Spielberg adjusted the release dates so Williams could have scored those too and still done the SW films.

That's it.

And now his childhood film might be aiming for the same release window as Indy 5!  (Hopefully not - hopefully it's a December 2022 film, but you never know!)

I agree with most on the Potter films, wish he had scored them all (or at least had returned to score the final films, replacing the unmemorable Desplat scores)!

Would also love to see what he would have done with Superman II - developing his Kripton themes for the vilains and new setpieces instead of having the music of his first score just cut and pasted over it.

Other than that I'd not replace the great scores of LoTR, Poltergeist or Alien (Goldsmith's original intentions should had been more respected on this one). 

I remember reading on an old thread here that HP4's director Mike Newell didn't want Williams to score it because his music is "too childish and cutesy", and he needed something more dark and dramatic.

Well, if that's true then he is a complete imbecile, because Williams can go dark when he wanted. Imagine the powerful choir pieces we'd get for Voldemort and the Death Eaters! But no, the jackass only heard the first two Potter scores and decided they were too kiddie and happy.

9 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I've never heard of that before. Do we know why it didn't happen?

There was a post Star Wars interview where he said his next project was a film for Ridley Scott called Alien.  But as far as I know, no mention of why it went to Goldsmith instead.  Don't get me wrong, huge fan of what Goldsmith did, just wish we heard what JW would have done too.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, Edmilson said:

powerful choir pieces

That kind of music for the death eaters seems a bit overdone and like a cliché approach of JW. Maybe that is what the director had in mind and what made him not wanting JW to score his movie.

Agora (2009), which he was apparently going to do but never materialized. If the final score is any indication, it would have been an extension of his wailing material on Munich. Could've been very interesting.

I would have liked him to have collaborated with Kubrick and/or Malick, could have produced some very interesting results.

And lastly, an independent film of the late 20th Century/early 21st that required a minimal score with very few instruments, like a chamber work. No particular films come to mind, but I would have loved to hear something small and intimate among all the big Hollywood stuff he was doing back then. 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Brundlefly said:

Thank god, Williams didn't score Alien, otherwise we wouldn't have got Goldsmiths's Alien.

But how would you know that in the alternate universe you wouldn't have said, "thank the heavens Goldsmith didn't score Alien, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Williams's Alien."? :P

I would have loved to see Williams score more animated films. I enjoy his score to Tintin very much and wonder what he would have done with Disney, Pixar, etc. From my limited knowledge about production, I understand that less is done in the editing room for animation since it's so costly, which leads me to assume that they'd hack up the score less than say a modern Star Wars flick.

I'll also echo the obvious with Harry Potter. I actually enjoy Hooper's take in 5 and 6 quite a bit. However, I've revisited the first three scores a lot after the MM Box Set. There's so much depth in Williams' writing and so many themes that were completely dropped after film 3 that would have been beautiful woven into the later films.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10937004

12 minutes ago, Darth Mixolydian said:

I would have loved to see Williams score more animated films.

I would have loved if he had scored any traditional hand-drawn animation film. I prefer them vastly to computer generated ones.

34 minutes ago, Darth Mixolydian said:

But how would you know that in the alternate universe you wouldn't have said, "thank the heavens Goldsmith didn't score Alien, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Williams's Alien"? 

I just go by probability there.