STAR WARS Custom Covers thread

Holko

Those are bloody sensational @tintacle

Cannot wait to see what you cook up for TROS. There's definitely some striking imagery from the teaser trailer (the heroes standing atop the cliff looking at the Death Star wreckage, Rey in the desert with the approaching TIE fighter, etc.)

EDIT: Holy crap, I just checked your link and realised you've already done the latter! Love it!

On August 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

After a long time of these cases sitting on my shelf I finally finished them off with the CD art and spines:

image.jpg

Sadly, my Solo cover was never put to good use, as I was hoping to use it for a CD burn of an OST-FYC combo. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New blu ray covers for the films being released (or is it another re-release, I've lost count) in September this year.

Perhaps someone could make these into alternate covers?

uFWkIbbl.jpg

s9UuZpNl.jpg

0eimaULl.jpg

5KdNQvtl.jpg

oiEuiNB.jpg

FNecpMol.jpg

865hv3keo8f31.jpg?width=549&auto=webp&s=

x5ZtrFJ.jpg

AIfFFZE.jpg

xHufSJN.jpg

Still using Solo yak creature art for Solo artwork, despite that sequence not making it into the final cut.

C’mon you guys, cut them some slack. It’s not like the studio had all the money in the world to spend on decent graphic design or art direction. Who do you think they are, Disney or something?

Since the videostore died by the time bluray came around, no more does the front cover have to sell you the movie, so I guess 99% of the companies just stopped any effort to make their products at least aesthetically presentable. Bleh.

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Since the videostore died by the time bluray came around, no more does the front cover have to sell you the movie, so I guess 99% of the companies just stopped any effort to make their products at least aesthetically presentable. Bleh.

As true as that is, this is Star Wars we’re talking about. Star Wars. Have they no respect for this cultural lodestar, no sense responsibility to the millions of people whose lives were shaped or touched by this film series? They ruined the soundtracks once they got their mousy hands on them by demastering the sound and slapping shitty bargain-bin artwork on them, and now they’ve repeated the feat with their version of these video releases. And for what reason? Would it have cost all that much more in time or effort to put in even a half-assed job here? I guarantee that if Disney had put out a request for someone to do the design work for free, and zero royalties, they’d have been swamped with amazing material. But no, they’d sooner give the job to their bush-league fourth-string art department because their idiot bean-counters probably told them that the ROI on art design for relatively-low-selling soundtracks and blu-rays had to hit some minimum threshold.

This is the problem with the corporatist mentality—every last stupid thing has to pay for itself. It’s not enough if one aspect of Disney’s business makes shitloads of cash; every aspect has to, or else they aren’t succeeding. No longer are things done properly just for the sake of doing it properly. Disney will pour money into galaxy’s edge because they know they can squeeze a couple grand out of each family that comes to visit it, so the ROI makes it worthwhile to make it great. They’ll pour hundreds of millions to market TROS this fall because it’ll drive asses into seats this December. But heaven forfend that they take a fraction of a sliver of a percent of that marketing budget to hire someone who isn’t a colorblind Art Institute dropout to give the two principal products of the actual films themselves the care and attention they deserve. Because think how would that look on their earnings statement.

19 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Disney

Great writeup, but let's not forget this filth:

19047_c97472f3ca1476c6daf0efdad69f666b_1

SW has been getting the short end of the design stick for quite a while. What is that haircut on Harrison? And that face on Hamill? And that suspiciously RotS-looking Vader helmet?

• 2 weeks later...

I've found my new favourite cover set for the OT! I love the original artwork, and the vinyl look to them is really quite neat. Good call on the white border and the arrangement of the title and other info.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, Obi said:

Updates ^^

tumblr_ptnb72on9f1x8krx6o7_r1_1280.jpg

Phenomenal work as usual, Obi! Although I must point out that the plus sign should go immediately after Disney (ie, no space).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 2:51 AM, obijonkenobi said:

Those look amazing. Would love to see prequel versions!

Any suggestions as to what artwork to use? I guess the Struzan posters could work, but then again wouldn’t it collide with the OT as he did the special editions for those as well?

23 minutes ago, tintacle said:

I'm not sure about Revenge of the Sith. So far I'm thinking taking the original Struzan poster, remove Vader and keep the backdrop behind the characters black. Any ideas otherwise?

I found this poster:

SWEP3ROTS1-FC.jpg
dbf0d2d7fc0905eff3450b8bc4fe09f5.jpg
ep3_0003.jpg
https://www.sandaworld.com/gallery/episode3/

imzNwF.jpg

I went with the original Struzan poster.

@Fal J. M. Skywalker thanks for suggestions, but I really don't like those at all. :)

They have bad composition, don't resemble the characters enough or the film for that matter and they look super cheap. Any idea who made them?

@Fal J. M. Skywalker thanks :)

Personally I've never been a fan of Sanda's work, but the one I used here served nicely into this template. In general Attack of the Clones had a rather dull marketing campaign.

@JTWfan77 I don't think that fits in this series, I'm trying to keep it in the 'hand-drawn' style. But thanks anyway :)

@A Ghost From Highwood you're way too kind :blush:

@BrendanT1993 here you go :) Took the liberty to update a few minor details; bumped up the resolution a bit, corrected the contrast and gave the text a little more room to breathe.

RevegeoftheSith-Request-Update.jpg

Thanks @tintacle you're a star!

Sorry to sound like i'm demanding but I was wondering if you could lend your talents to trying to improve this scan of Lapti Nek.

That's the best quality I can get with my scanner and i'm just not happy with it.

image.png