STAR WARS Custom Covers thread

Holko

1 minute ago, heidl said:

Great, thanks guys!

Do you prefer it to the 2nd version? 

The one where the red blaster bolts look like bolts rather than lightsabers (as they do here) might be preferable for that reason alone.

Can I also implore you to make a version that says “Music composed and conducted by”??😬

8 minutes ago, heidl said:

Nice one JTWFan! Is this "Target" design finally out officially or did you make it yourself?

It's my rather amateurish and rushed attempt at replicating that design used for Target's TFA. I have no idea if they have something like that planned (seeing that they didn't for TLJ, I would imagine not). I'll probably try to revisit it some time but of course you or tintacle would be far better placed to tackle this than I.

Well I mistook it for an official design so don't be too hard on yourself, eh ;)

All I have is the low res image below, which is actually a photo from an official cardboard stand-up for cinemas.

So an official design exists. I'm waiting for a high res version to pop up somewhere. 

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Thanks, but the one you posted is expectedly much better than my attempt. It helps that they had a full face version of the Kylo Ren image to work with, the cropped one from the poster was a headache.

I'm looking forward to your updated Star Wars section on your site! I'm sure we've only seen a hint of what you have in store ;)

Hi everyone! Impressive work!

I was wondering if anyone had custom covers of the Original Trilogy Special Edition Soundtracks with Drew Struzan’s art that could be shared, or maybe scans of the RCA releases?

11 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks, but the one you posted is expectedly much better than my attempt. It helps that they had a full face version of the Kylo Ren image to work with, the cropped one from the poster was a headache.

I'm looking forward to your updated Star Wars section on your site! I'm sure we've only seen a hint of what you have in store ;)

Aaaah, don't stress me ;) My TROS collection is rather small compared to previous efforts. I wanted to publish a new blog post next week, but haven't written a single word for it. I really have to get going! But I certainly won't go into the pain of recreating the official "Target" design from above, only to see the original being released a couple days later. Been there, done that.

10 hours ago, santiagoec said:

I was wondering if anyone had custom covers of the Original Trilogy Special Edition Soundtracks with Drew Struzan’s art that could be shared, or maybe scans of the RCA releases?

Do you want the Special Edition logos on them as well or the original ones?

10 hours ago, santiagoec said:

I have these ones - they aren't exactly the same as they are meant to match the design template of the prequel OSTs:

soundt-johnwi-starwa_06.jpg

soundt-johnwi-starwa_09.jpg

soundt-johnwi-starwa_12.jpg

EDIT: Oh wait, here they are:

soundt-jwilli-starwa_08.jpg

soundt-jwilli-starwa_06.jpg

soundt-jwilli-starwa_07.jpg

Not sure why the ANH one seems to be stretched vertically (is it my eyes?) - paging @heidl @tintacle @Justanothercrow421 :)

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Just to clarify, was there ever an official "Target" style logo released for TLJ? I thought it was a fan-made effort.

I thought so, but now I'm not sure anymore 

4 hours ago, tintacle said:

Do you want the Special Edition logos on them as well or the original ones?

I actually prefer the SE edition logos, as to separate them from the OSTs.

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have these ones - they aren't exactly the same as they are meant to match the design template of the prequel OSTs:

soundt-johnwi-starwa_06.jpg

soundt-johnwi-starwa_09.jpg

soundt-johnwi-starwa_12.jpg

EDIT: Oh wait, here they are:

soundt-jwilli-starwa_08.jpg

soundt-jwilli-starwa_06.jpg

soundt-jwilli-starwa_07.jpg

Not sure why the ANH one seems to be stretched vertically (is it my eyes?) - paging @heidl @tintacle @Justanothercrow421 :)

And thank you very much for sharing!

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Just to clarify, was there ever an official "Target" style logo released for TLJ? I thought it was a fan-made effort.

There never was and official one. The only one I've ever seen is the one I made in 2017. 

4 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

There never was and official one. The only one I've ever seen is the one I made in 2017. 

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming :)

6 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

Well, it speaks for you that I used to think it was official.

20 hours ago, santiagoec said:

I actually prefer the SE edition logos, as to separate them from the OSTs.

I can understand that completely, and a good idea as well :)

Any notes before I make the final adjustments?

iDIiyr.jpg

(the other two are coming...)

1 minute ago, tintacle said:

I can understand that completely, and a good idea as well :)

Any notes before I make the final adjustments?

iDIiyr.jpg

(the other two are coming...)

That is very very impressive! Thank you very much for that, but would it be possible for you to add "A New Hope" under Star Wars, just as it is on both RCA releases of the SE soundtracks?

You are too kind.

7WzvrGVEU06uzAbKWPSI1gBgin0.jpg

51wr-5RxkuL.jpg

On 12/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, santiagoec said:

That is very very impressive! Thank you very much for that, but would it be possible for you to add "A New Hope" under Star Wars, just as it is on both RCA releases of the SE soundtracks?

You are too kind.

Thanks man!

I certainly can, and will ;)

The Mandalorian - Chapter 5:

iPsJmv.jpg

It will be interesting to see what Disney does with the inevitable 9 Expanded Soundtracks, because there clearly needs to be a symmetry with the cover art across all 9, but they can't be too simplistic or they'll look the same as existing releases (like all the remastered OSTs and the 3 ST OSTs).

I generally think simpler is better with Star Wars, simply because the variety of artwork produced for the 9 films varies so greatly due to the changing design trends in which the films were marketed. You can't really have a release of ESB with that original artwork paired with TROS and its theatrical artwork, the difference is just too stark. Perhaps whatever they do for the 4K releases next year will hint at the expanded score artwork?

On 12/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, tintacle said:

Took a jab at the Target Exclusives myself...

Rise of Skywalker is obviously just a temporary placeholder until I get hold of a hi-res version.

I love the emboss effect you did on the outline. It makes the logo pop out even more

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

It will be interesting to see what Disney does with the inevitable 9 Expanded Soundtracks, because there clearly needs to be a symmetry with the cover art across all 9, but they can't be too simplistic or they'll look the same as existing releases (like all the remastered OSTs and the 3 ST OSTs).

I generally think simpler is better with Star Wars, simply because the variety of artwork produced for the 9 films varies so greatly due to the changing design trends in which the films were marketed. You can't really have a release of ESB with that original artwork paired with TROS and its theatrical artwork, the difference is just too stark. Perhaps whatever they do for the 4K releases next year will hint at the expanded score artwork?

If Disney strives for uniformity, and they will (for economic reasons... not for aesthetic ones), then we will be "delighted" with something like that, I'm fairly sure:

star-wars-multiscreen-reissue-blu-rays.jpg

9 hours ago, caikelm said:

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum (I actually just found it), so I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong, I don't know how to post images here :'D

This is also the first time I ever show any custom cover I made on the internet lol.

I have been always a fan of custom soundtrack covers, especially Star Wars ones. And recently I got the extended editions of the prequel OSTs and the complete scores of the Original Trilogy. I didn't really like the covers on those ones because they were mostly inconsistent, but the one I really loved was the Episode III cover with mustafar. I liked it so much that I decided to try to make similar covers to the other movies, and this is what I came up with. (actually I just saw here that people already posted covers with planets, I swear I didn't steal your ideas guys :p)

My original plan was to have Tatooine on A New Hope and Naboo on The Phantom Menace but I couldn't find any good Naboo image that fit with the rest of the planets, so I decided to have Tatooine on Ep. I and Yavin on Ep. IV.

(It kinda bugs me that 4 has the Yavin planet but the scenes take place on the Moon, but 6 has the Forest Moon of Endor instead of the actual planet Endor, so sorry about that :v)

Keep posting more of your covers, because these are really good! You've got a sense for details, man.

2 hours ago, heidl said:

If Disney strives for uniformity, and they will (for economic reasons... not for aesthetic ones), then we will be "delighted" with something like that, I'm fairly sure:

star-wars-multiscreen-reissue-blu-rays.jpg

Those are very ugly covers, but still better than the super lazy OST demaster covers. 

19 hours ago, heidl said:

Keep posting more of your covers, because these are really good! You've got a sense for details, man.

Well, these are the only Star Wars ones I've made :v

My covers are mostly recreations of covers I could only find with poor quality or fixes to things I didn't like on the original covers. And there's a huge variety of movies and games from The Thing to The King of Fighters to From Dusk Till Dawn, so I don't know where I would post these :'D (also I barely know how forums work)

I thought of making planet covers like these for the sequel movies but I don't know if they have extended soundtracks with 3 or 4 discs like the previous movies and I think jakku and crait are too similar to Tatooine and Hoth. Besides, I can't think of a color to use on the STAR WARS logo like the golden one on the prequels and silver on the OT.

I also thought of making simple covers for the DICE Battlefront soundtracks but I don't know how I should put the credits, I don't know how much of the soundtrack is Gordy Haab and how much is John Williams.

By the way, does anyone have the full resolution art from Shadows of the Empire? The one used in the soundtrack cover. Thanks in advance :v