STAR WARS Custom Covers thread

Holko

On 14/01/2020 at 8:39 AM, crumbs said:

I have to say @tintacle, these covers are absolutely superb! We're spoiled for choice when it comes to McQuarrie artwork on the OT but you've really elevated them here with the layered effect. Integrating them with the vintage logos worked a treat!

I was so inspired by your work that I tried my hand at replicating it for the sequel trilogy, starting with a few versions for The Force Awakens. Sadly the new films don't have these types of memorable logos (or McQuarrie's artwork) but there's still plenty to choose from. I hope you don't mind me adapting your template for the rest of the series!

SyINH4u.png

ywyDcT3.png

F4aW6bq.png

@tintacle and @crumbs what font are you using here? I'd like to take a stab at this series myself

On 15/01/2020 at 4:07 AM, heidl said:

I've designed 1997 Special Edition logos for the sequel trilogy, if you'd like to give them a try?

1997_7_tfa.png

1997_8_tlj.png

1997_9_tros7.png

Do you have these for the prequels?

On 05/01/2023 at 7:36 PM, agoodlittlemonkey said:

Don't like to make requests, but has anyone come across or made any covers for the Andor soundtracks?

I made this cover last June if you haven't seen it:

Andor Soundtrack cover

Sorry for the late reply.

On 20/07/2022 at 2:05 PM, Andy said:

Yeah, Drew Struzan got bonkers with the wrong reference material for the Special Edition posters.  It really is distracting. 

Haha, not to me, I guess, because I never knew that until today!  What's wrong, aside from using Ian McDiarmid on Empire (which I can forgive given the triptych structure of the paintings)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 9:44 PM, wowbobwow said:

I did some album covers based on the design @tintacle created.  I'm planning on doing the remainder of the prequels and the sequels as well.

Looking forward to it ;)

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Well done @May the Force be with You.

(You accidentally posted ROTJ twice. 😉)

If you like on the upper left side you will notice a small difference between those two versions ;)

On 06/05/2023 at 2:15 PM, rough cut said:

These mock-ups were fun and looks well made. Sorry about the low-res. Artist unknown.

3EB8E7CB-AFEC-4872-B21A-72FA4B6A5360.jpeg

Oooh, those are nice..hopefully hi-res versions pop up.

Yeah, I thought so. 

A quick google now reveals that the original artist can be found on reddit, where you’ll also find the art in (slightly) higher resolution, but unfortunately not in hi-res.

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Those are good. I'd say The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker are too similar. But I don't care about the ST and you did great on the OT.

I guess because they both have stuff going up into the sky? They don’t look alike at all to me, but to each their own.

Yes,  I found the ST decidedly lacking in evocative imagery. These worked the best for me.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

My biggest problem with coming up with new covers for Star Wars and Empire is that I can't come up with anything better than the one sheets for those films.

But these are lovely. Luke on the tauntaun is just about definitive for Empire. The Falcon intro is certainly pivotal. And the matte of the imperial shuttle is simply gorgeous.

(I always tell my kids, truthfully, that I don't like t-shirts and whatnot of bad guys. I don't need "Turn to the Dark Side" and that nonsense. I like the heroes, thanks. When my wife got me a t-shirt of the landing platform on Endor with the Death Star hanging over head my kids questioned it. I replied "Well... It's just that it happens to be one of the most beautiful matte paintings in the original trilogy!")

Thanks. I changed the RoS photo on your suggestion. I was spoiled for choice in the first six films, their imagery is so strong. I’ve always loved that shot from TPM, and in a film overload with beautiful vistas, I wanted something more insular for AotC. The RotS frame is almost impressionistic. 

I went through each film frame by frame to find frames that jumped out at me. It took quite a while.

29 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Thanks. I changed the RoS photo on your suggestion.

I would have gone with something with the wrecked Death Star. But your choice is both interesting and essential to the plot. Great job.

28 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I would have gone with something with the wrecked Death Star. But your choice is both interesting and essential to the plot. Great job.

“Plot.” Lol.

I already had a wrecked ship, it seemed redundant. Also, a lot of stuff looks good in motion, but can be difficult to find individual frames that look good.

On 08/06/2023 at 12:03 PM, Obi said:

FyG7KguaQAEoi_O?format=jpg&name=large

FyG7Kg_akAIB-VN?format=jpg&name=large

I guess it wouldn't really be aesthetically pleasing to put all the additional composers... Would it? I guess six names is kinda too much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The TPM cover looks really bad when viewed full size, very pixelated.

Also, I will never understand why they seem to have randomly mixed the Albertus and Trajan fonts in these designs.

Also also, it really bothers me that the logos and text don't line up. At some point I really need to redo these covers....

They used trademarks on I and II, but not III. Also, there’s a colon after the Roman numeral II, a dot after the III and no symbol at all after the I. The three covers are just a complete mess when viewed side by side.

Made alternatives for my old school soundtrack collection. I think these blend better with the Struzen art. Putting my original set after this for the sake of comparison. Trying to have all the live action in bright colors and the saga dark. Ahsoka needs work....

image.jpeg

8 version 2.jpg

9 version 2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

image.jpeg6.jpg

Rogue One.jpg

Solo (2).jpg

The Mandalorian.jpg

Book of Boba Fett.jpg

Obi-Wan.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Taking inspiration from some previous covers, here's my updated artwork covers for the original six movies.

1000014001.jpg1000014444.jpg1000014543.jpg

1000012939.jpg1000013824.jpg1000012427.jpg

The artwork used are from Chris Valentine (I and II), Celebration 3 (III), and Ignacio RC (IV and V) with VI using the original 1980 poster artwork just shaded green.

Enjoy and download at your own leisure:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made a fairly basic cover art set based on the 2020 fan art that was put on Disney plus May the 4th of that year. I am providing the originals for anyone who has access to that new generative AI photo shop. I am hoping someone else likes it and wants to give this set a shot

IMG_2146 (1).jpg

IMG_2146 (2).jpg

IMG_2146 (3).jpg

IMG_2146 (4).jpg

IMG_2146 (5).jpg

IMG_2146 (6).jpg

IMG_2146 (7).jpg

IMG_2146 (8).jpg

IMG_2146 (9).jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg