First Star Wars in UK

David Story

It would have to have been performed in April, 1977. I'm not aware of any such concert, but there was a Filmharmonic '78 concert, from which, several pictures exist.

In 1982, JW and the LSO gave a concert at The Barbican, during which, a suite from E.T. was performed, a full two months before its European premiere, and five months before its UK release.

Star Wars received its UK premiere very late in 1977 on 27th December.  It is possible therefore that the music could have been performed prior to the UK release date.

John Williams conducted his first concert with the London Symphony Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall on 16th February 1978 in a programme entitled The LSO In Space.  Here is a photograph (not mine) of the front cover:

The-LSO-In-space-%E2%80%98-Star-Wars%E2%

I believe that Williams included music from Close Encounters of the Third Kind in that concert, which would have been a month or so before the movie's UK release on 14th March 1978.

9 hours ago, Omen II said:

Star Wars received its UK premiere very late in 1977 on 27th December.  It is possible therefore that the music could have been performed prior to the UK release date.

John Williams conducted his first concert with the London Symphony Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall on 16th February 1978 in a programme entitled The LSO In Space.  Here is a photograph (not mine) of the front cover:

The-LSO-In-space-%E2%80%98-Star-Wars%E2%

I believe that Williams included music from Close Encounters of the Third Kind in that concert, which would have been a month or so before the movie's UK release on 14th March 1978.

That's the fella. Ta, Omen. There's also a picture of JW standing outside the RAH, with C-3PO, if you can find it.

My cousin went to see STAR WARS on its opening night, at the Leicester Square Theatre. Grrrr!