Spielberg to direct film adaptation of DC Comics' “Blackhawk”

Alex

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, it would be part of the DCEU

Thanks. Imagining the DCEU going from "doom and gloom" with the Snyder and Zimmer combo to Spielberg (with Williams?) is positively hilarious!

Title's a bit misleading. He's only currently producing, and he might direct it. That being said I think Spielberg could make a fun Blackhawk film, which is less of a traditional superhero film, and more of a World War 2 set Adventure series, depending on whether they decide to set in the past or present. Plus I'd love to see Williams score another comic-book film. 

Spielberg tried to get rights to do a film adaptation of Blackhawk way back in the late 1980s.

The comic book isn't superhero fare, but more an adventure, Indiana Jones-like type of story. It has several things that ties up well with some of Spielberg's passions (World War II setting, airplanes). One of the creators of Blackhawk is Will Eisner, who is one of the grand-fathers of modern comic-books.

So, it'll be very interesting. I very much hope JW will be able to score it.

18 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The comic book isn't superhero fare, but more an adventure, Indiana Jones-like type of story. 

What a shame. At least 'superhero fare' would have been something new for Spielberg.

On 19/04/2018 at 9:15 AM, TownerFan said:

The comic book isn't superhero fare, but more an adventure, Indiana Jones-like type of story. It has several things that ties up well with some of Spielberg's passions (World War II setting, airplanes).

Why does that sound quite similar to "Captain America: The First Aveger"?
Actually, I really don't mind any such similarities; I like that movie. :P

• 2 years later...

David Koepp is writing the script

Currently in the process of rewriting, Koepp hopes to be finished with the script soon. "I just hope it happens," he said, "because it’s so fun and it’s a World War II movie about a squadron of fighter pilots. What could be more fun?"

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/screenwriter-david-koepp-teases-upcoming-films-exclusive

Also, Jackson got all tied up in HOBBIT stuff. After that, it seems like he wanted to take a break from big Hollywood productions. And all the more credit to him - THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD was a marvelous movie, and I have high hopes for the Beatles documentary.