John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

BRING IT ON! :D

By the way, why is the third film getting a custom title, but the second one didn't and was just "2"?

Apparently the books they're very loosely based on do use different titles for each story.

• 1 month later...

So they find a female Night Fury, what a surprise! I certainly didn't predict that 2 years ago!

Though to be fair, they'll probably still make it feel kinda fresh and very likeable like the previous two, not in the least with Powell's help.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never seen a HTTYD movie and I never shall.  I treat the albums as just that: albums.

But, but, but...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never seen a HTTYD movie and I never shall.  I treat the albums as just that: albums.

Never? 

Irregardless of who scored it, what prevents you from wanting a sort of general knowledge of the state of 2010s animated films? 

And what about when your kids get into the franchise? 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Irregardless of who scored it, what prevents you from wanting a sort of general knowledge of the state of 2010s animated films? 

And what abort when your kids get into the franchise? 

I've seen 2 of the Pixar movies from this decade and that's it.  I dunno, not interested I guess.

So far my oldest kid just wants to watch My Neighbor Totoro every night ;) I may or may not encourage this behavior.

It's not like some dogmatic rule where I'll go into a sensory deprivation chamber to avoid being tainted with knowledge of the movies.  It's just been an easy thing to avoid.  If my daughter gets super into them, I guess I'll see them.

Even as someone who watches these movies, I pretty much embrace the albums as their own unique experience, so I get Disco Stu's mindset. Powell's animation scores boast strong, emotionally resonant narratives (Rio on its own, for example, is a soaring love story told by Powell). The very best Powell works just tell stronger, more vivid stories than usual. 

Kathleen Kennedy: B-But mister Powell, we need you to come back for Star Wars! You're the chosen one! You're the special! The next John Williams! You can't run from your destiny!

John Powell (glancing fondly at a photo of Toothless): Sorry, ma'am...my place is there.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, kaseykockroach said:

Kathleen Kennedy: B-But mister Powell, we need you to come back for Star Wars! You're the chosen one! You're the special! The next John Williams! You can't run from your destiny!

John Powell (glancing fondly at a photo of Toothless): Sorry, ma'am...my place is there.

If Williams can do Indy, Star Wars, AND E.T. at the same time (with a little Superman for good measure) then Mr. P. should be fine.

Marco Beltrami might get to do a Star Wars score with Mangold directing Boba Fett, maybe Powell can do the new Johnson trilogy, or Giacchino can get a proper shot...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm trying not to be too excited for this, but this wait will really DRAG ON! 

:D

To quote Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III:  Why don't you think about what you've done.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Loert said:

I couldn't care less whether the score has 5 themes, 50 themes, or no themes...as long as the music's good!

QFT

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I couldn't care less whether the score has 5 themes, 50 themes, or no themes...as long as the music's good!

Yes.

But themes are the base of the score.

Powell will deliver!