John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

I love John Powell so much, you guys.

There’s some special passion in his music that makes me feel like a child that’s tasting ice cream for the first time. I think I should seek psychiatric help because this happiness worries me.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

It doesn't matter, I implore you guys to go into the film without listening to the score first!

Not gonna happen sorry 😛 Forbiden friendship was the first cue I sent to my girlfriend back in 2011 when we met and when I said I was a film music addict. Since then of course httyd has a specific thing to it as you can imagine. But even without this story, the musique is so great that I want to be able to sing it in my head while watching the movie ; it always makes me smile and I do this with pretty much every movie :) 

I feel the same way about most scores and films @toothless of knowing where to place themes, but every so often when I don't have the score available and have to go into the film 'blind' (or deaf?) to the music, I've found there's plenty more gratification and reward discovering the music for the first time married with the visuals as it was meant to be!

On 1/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Arpy said:

I've found there's plenty more gratification and reward discovering the music for the first time married with the visuals as it was meant to be!

I would enjoy it this way round if I knew that every piece of music you hear was released.

Also, hearing the album first is a nice test of how the music works away from the film. I've never seen the film to some of my favourite scores.

@Richard Penna Sometimes I listen to the score first, or skim it, but I never really develop any connection or feel any emotional attachment to the music until after I've seen the film. 

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Also, hearing the album first is a nice test of how the music works away from the film. I've never seen the film to some of my favourite scores.

Yeah, this is true for me for a lot of older films and film composers.

11 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

One surprising concept taken is the music for the hidden world vista, it is surprisingly solemn,  subtle, really magical COMPLETE WITH ENYA-LIKE VOICES! before it climaxes into a full grandiose that reminds of JNH'Atlantis. Really beautiful.

Yes! That's probably one of my favourite parts of the score and film, it just captures the wonder and mystery perfectly. It's reminiscent of something like The Eagles from Return of the King or the eagle music from An Unexpected Journey!

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yes! That's probably one of my favourite parts of the score and film, it just captures the wonder and mystery perfectly. It's reminiscent of something like The Eagles from Return of the King or the eagle music from An Unexpected Journey!

Yes!

As a matter of fact, the whole movie does scream Return of The King for me, especially that "white" ending, the cinematography, the visual, and all.

Now that i remember, the mating music sounds quite a lot like this ( but more frantic )

( by John POwell too)

4 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

The only missing cue I can recall was a statement of Astrid's theme in the second one. But the OST plays perfectly, especially considering it's a whopping 72 minutes. 

There are some smaller nifty little moments missing from the second score's OST but the album does contain all the major highlights (and lion's share of the score).

My favourite cue not on the HTTYD 2 OST, but fortunately on the FYC is 'Hiccup and Valka Bond' a really tender version of the Friendship Theme.

1 Raiders Return to Busy, Busy Berk 5:26
2 Dinner Talk / Grimmel's Introduction 3:53
3 Legend Has It / Cliffside Playtime 4:21
4 Toothless: Smitten. 3:15
5 Worst Pep Talk Ever 2:40
6 Night Fury Killer 3:35
7 Exodus! 4:38
8 Third Date 6:48
9 New 'New Tail' 1:28
10 Furies in Love 3:03
11 Killer Dragons 5:04
12 With Love Comes a Great Waterfall 2:08
13 The Hidden World John Powell & Jónsi 5:16
14 Armada Battle 8:40
15 As Long as He's Safe 6:29
16 Once There Were Dragons 5:45
17 Together from Afar (How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World) Jónsi 3:17
18 The Hidden World Suite (Bonus Track) 6:40

That final track is not on the physical CD edition

What's with these digital versions getting bonus tracks now? Is it because there isn't enough room on the CD? There should be more than one then for us score junkies, hehe. ;)

It sounds good so far, but of course hard to tell from such short samples. It of course stays true to what has come before, but I will take everyone's word for it that it is an awesome score. I LOVE the first two.

However... that clip of the Jonsi song... ehhhhhhhhh. It's odd because I like what Jonsi did for the first film, and of course love even more what they did for the second film (it helps to use one of Powell's themes as the driving force haha). But from the 30 seconds I heard of this new song.... it feels much more out of place. Please someone tell me it gets better in its full form...

God, this sounds beautiful. Luscious orchestrations and so much passion and romanticism. I know judging from 30-second samples is pretty pedantic, but this is at least making a hell of a first impression. "The Hidden World" especially.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, Arpy said:

Looks like a majority of it should be on this release! Hopefully the 

Reveal hidden contents

is on there!

Your review has made me and my Dave excited to see this.

28 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The samples sound great. Even from those 30-second clips you can tell the franchise has evolved from something very cool into something even more wonderful. It would seem working on the oratorio and then with Williams last year really helped to create yet another jump in Powell's evolution as a composer. Absolutely cannot wait to hear the rest. And to watch the movie as well - I really enjoyed the first two.

Karol

I know you're referring to Hubris, but what's an oratorio? Never heard that word before.

7 hours ago, scallenger said:

What's with these digital versions getting bonus tracks now? Is it because there isn't enough room on the CD? There should be more than one then for us score junkies, hehe. ;)

It sounds good so far, but of course hard to tell from such short samples. It of course stays true to what has come before, but I will take everyone's word for it that it is an awesome score. I LOVE the first two.

However... that clip of the Jonsi song... ehhhhhhhhh. It's odd because I like what Jonsi did for the first film, and of course love even more what they did for the second film (it helps to use one of Powell's themes as the driving force haha). But from the 30 seconds I heard of this new song.... it feels much more out of place. Please someone tell me it gets better in its full form...

It fits with the emotions that come with the conclusion of the film, it's the end credits piece. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It fits with the emotions that come with the conclusion of the film, it's the end credits piece. 

Any idea what “The Hidden World Suite” is? Something just for the album, or was it the film’s end credits along with the song?

I don't know @Warrior of Wet Dreams I think it could be the end credits that play after the song.

It's a shame it won't be on the CD, why in a world where CD is going out the window, would they give the incentive of an extra track to the digital retailers? 

By the looks of the track times, the total OST with the bonus track would not fit on an 80-minute disc, if my calculations are correct.

So they would've need to cut at least one other track in order to fit it.

Just listened to the full bonus track, it's gorgeous - a very nice concert version of all the themes, the Vikings' 'Exodus' theme, and the Fury love theme and the Hidden World theme! 

Really annoyed by it being missing, but I'm sure all the themes as they are geard in the film are included in the a available tracks!

I would have taken that Hidden World Suite over Jonsí end credits song on the OST any day.