John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon (3): The Hidden World

Faleel

Apparently there's going to be a Christmas special coming out this year, How to Train Your Dragon: Homecoming. John Traunwieser is set to score it. I'm not familiar with the name, but apparently he's worked on an absolute ton of stuff. So I'm doubtful there will even be a release of the music.

On a similar topic - does anyone watch that Netflix HTTYD series? Is the music any good on it? Or just typical filler music.

FYC site is up:

https://universalpicturesawards.com/how-to-train-your-dragon/score

1.Rescue Mission
2.Busy Busy Berk
3.Marry Her
4.Grimmel’s Terms
5.Legend Has It
6.Mysterious Creature
7.Toothless In Love / Dart Trap
8.Grimmel Visit / First Fight
9.Town Hall Speech / Exodus
10.Forbidden Courtship
11.Toothless Flies Alone
12.Near Miss Valka
13.Romance in the Clouds
14.Ambush
15.Cage Fight
16.Stronger Together
17.Into the Hole
18.The Hidden World
19.With Love Comes Loss
20.The Hiccup I Know
21.Armada Battle - Part 1
22.Armada Battle - Part 2
23.Ultimate Sacrifice
24.Freedom
25.Viking Wedding
26.Boat Epilogue
27.Finale

I had a feeling there wasn't much missing from the OST for this one, but wow I didn't realize just how little! Unless of course there was music left off of both releases, but to be fair unlike the first two films I haven't really compared. But hearing the slim new material from this FYC, I'm not real disappointed any of it was left off.

Now if only we could have had an FYC for Solo... [crime of the century]...

2 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Unless of course there was music left off of both releases,

There was, people in this thread are mentioning a big Alpha theme statement for example.

11 hours ago, Holko said:

There was, people in this thread are mentioning a big Alpha theme statement for example.

That is the most note-worthy unreleased cue, as far as I can remember from watching the movie.

There's a really great cue missing from both versions - it's the Hidden World Theme right after Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless (and Astrid's Dragon) escape the Hidden World, it's a lovely sombre rendition of the theme on horns and was one of the cues I was looking forward to listening to after seeing the film. 

An ideal release would be one mega How To Train Your Dragon - The Soundtrack Collection comprising all three complete scores - but that's a dream.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, Fargo said:

Apparently there's going to be a Christmas special coming out this year, How to Train Your Dragon: Homecoming. John Traunwieser is set to score it. I'm not familiar with the name, but apparently he's worked on an absolute ton of stuff. So I'm doubtful there will even be a release of the music.

On a similar topic - does anyone watch that Netflix HTTYD series? Is the music any good on it? Or just typical filler music.

According to 5 Cat Studio's Facebook page the score is mixed by Traunwiesser and scored by Anthony Willis.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:19 AM, Arpy said:

An ideal release would be one mega How To Train Your Dragon - The Soundtrack Collection comprising all three complete scores - but that's a dream.

My ultimate dream is a concert album compiling highlights from the trilogy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure this has been posted on here before, but I just discovered this:

https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt31

Supposedly John Powell walks you through how he created the track "Third Date", from conception to composition/mixing etc. I haven't watched it yet (you have to sign up) but it sounds very promising...especially given it's "Third Date" we're talking about here! :D

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Shame on the Oscars for snubbing this score. Deserved to be up there more than Joker. What a joke.

The oscars are waaay too political for this to be nominated - no brownie points for nominating an English guy scoring an animation film.

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

Shame on the Oscars for snubbing this score. Deserved to be up there more than Joker. What a joke.

First SOLO, now this. Granted SOLO was allegedly due to Disney not getting their materials in on time (if I'm not mistaken), but in any case it is starting to seem like Powell is unlucky when it comes to the Oscars.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Granted SOLO was allegedly due to Disney not getting their materials in on time

The movie came out in May, they had months and months. They decided not to give a shit.

37 minutes ago, Holko said:

Because the movie sucked and flopped and they think, along with the Academy, that the score oscar is inseparable from the film?

That's probably why, but it's still a stupid reason on their part if so. The whole reason there are different Oscars for different aspects of filmmaking rather than just "Best Picture", is to reward films that excel in some specific areas while other films may still be better in other areas.

The notion that a film can't possibly have the "Best Score" of the bunch just because the movie itself was a flop at the box office (or even if the movie was legitimately bad in every other aspect—which SOLO wasn't), sort of defeats the whole purpose of having an award that is supposed to reward a film's score independent of other aspects of the film. I wish the people in charge of these awards took this stuff more seriously. I don't care if a film is unanimously considered the worst film ever made in every area aside from its score; if the score is good, then it deserves recognition.

Disney weren't going to push something that had garnered such hate and apathy in equal measure. They've been quick to pull marketing from other giant flops because it doesn't look good for them - multi million dollar projects flushed down the toilet.

1 hour ago, Evanus said:

That, and probably because it would have lowered the chances of Black Panther winning. 

I doubt it could've swayed any voter had it been submitted - same for Hidden World, but the true acknowledgement is the nomination itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a list of all the themes/motifs of the HTTYD trilogy? I feel like we should have a thread cataloging these themes and where they show up, like some of Jay's other threads for THE HOBBIT trilogy, THE BFG, etc.

I am listening through the Powell scores again in order at the moment and am simply stunned by the extent of his glossary of themes for this trilogy... Safe to say this may very well be his magnum opus; it's like his equivalent of SW, or LOTR. And for a kids' franchise of all things, this is unprecedented.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the exact same suite will be on the DE, of if its component parts will be scattered in different places on the DE...

I think it will be on. I believe the suite is the end credits 

Just now, Smaug The Iron said:

I think it will be on. I believe the suite is the end credits 

This page says:

"The end credits consist of excerpts of Third Date followed by an edited version of The Hidden World Suite.

On 11/01/2019 at 1:20 PM, Presto said:

OK I listened to the suite here and it's pretty good!  Doesn't cover all the major highlights, but does cover a lot of the NEW material very well.  The choral work is fantastic, which is something that I should have mentioned before.  It's fantastic on the whole album.  One of the things I'm really appreciating about Powell is the way he uses the choir!  He's very good with it!

On 01/02/2019 at 7:48 AM, Presto said:

Fun fact: Edward Ross sang on this score.

Out of curiosity, where did you see this?  Because the physical CD edition lists every choir member in its nice booklet, and I didn't see Ross's name in it