"Theme Song"

Ricard

It seems like "theme song" has become more and more widely accepted as a valid term when talking about instrumental themes for film, TV and games. Even the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "a melody recurring so often in a musical play that it characterizes the production or one of its characters", and the related Wikipedia page doesn't seem to take into account that no one is singing in instrumentals -so it's pretty nonsensical to call it "song". What does JWFan think about this? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this misconception from spreading any further? Discuss!

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

We need to walk around spitting in people's faces

What an excellent educational technique. I hope you don't have something contagious. 

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

We need to walk around spitting in people's faces - those who refer to instrumental cues as songs.

Star Wars doesn't fucking have a theme song.

Sure it does!

Just ignore Youtube and Facebook comment sections, stupid "news" sites and normie blogs. If you don't see idiots being idiots, they can't make you angry or sad at the state of humanity. If someone wants to educate themselves, they can find ample media to broaden their descriptive vocabulary - I myself used used "Theme Song" when I was 10, barely knew any English, and had no idea what a leitmotif is or how complex scores or music in general can be (thanks, obligatory 12 years of singing/music class where all we did was slavishly sing 20-30 boring folk songs over and over again).

A song implies singing so instrumental compositions should not be called songs. And often singing implies lyrics which an orchestral or instrumental theme doesn't have either.

Verily I say. Indeed.There it is.

We should use term "theme tune" instead.

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

A song implies singing so instrumental compositions should not be called songs. And often singing implies lyrics which an orchestral or instrumental theme doesn't have either.

In that case, my favourite theme songs are Duel of the Fates and all the sing song parts from Lord of the Rings, like that part where Fredo and Gollum fight in the volcano. 

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

In that case, my favourite theme songs are Duel of the Fates and all the sing song parts from Lord of the Rings, like that part where Fredo and Gollum fight in the volcano. 

In which case you would be correct. Great songs all.

And it is Frodo not Fredo. Of all the people you should know better.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

And it is Frodo not Fredo. Of all the people you should know better.

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Calling cues songs doesn't bother me. They can call it whatever, I don't care really. It's not really a crime to not be familiar with "correct" terminology. After all "score" in most people's eyes has more to do with football or being promiscuous rather than film music. ;)

What does bother me, though, is when we hear and trailer renditions of classic themes and people call them "genius and emotionally powerful" reinterpretations. All stripped down to bare chords most of the time. When people can't distinguish between virtuoso musicianship and cheap sounding synth just because it gives you more of an adrenaline rush. :(

Don't get me wrong, there is place for all sorts genres and approaches in film music but it's the lack of nuance and people wanting the easy stuff that's killing it all (to be a bit dramatic). Terminology is the least of an issue here.

Karol

Omg dat trailer music for TFA gave me da feelz. But da muthafuckas didnt put it on da souwndtrk. Bitchez

21 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

those who refer to instrumental cues as songs.

20 hours ago, Holko said:

Just ignore Youtube and Facebook comment sections, stupid "news" sites and normie blogs. If you don't see idiots being idiots, they can't make you angry or sad at the state of humanity. If someone wants to educate themselves, they can find ample media to broaden their descriptive vocabulary

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

A song implies singing so instrumental compositions should not be called songs

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Calling cues songs doesn't bother me.

I’m not referring to the random guy talking about the Star Wars “songs” -that’s practically as old as film music itself and it’s just a sign of understandable ignorance on the matter. But to the current trend (which didn’t really exist a few years ago) of calling instrumental themes for film, TV and games “theme songs” (“songs are for pop/rock, theme songs are for movies and stuff”) as a sort of official, consensual, universally approved term used in all kinds of publications, including newspapers, dictionaries and wikipedias. It’s as if the world has finally figured out how they are called, and they’re making it official. And very few dare to contradict it.

28 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

Whip crack away?

Wouldn't "Where there's a whip, there' a way" more appropriate lyrics-wise?

• 2 years later...