E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL 35th Anniversary Vinyl Edition from La-La Land Records

• 3 months later...

This has been officially announced to release August 28th.

I remain curious exactly how they'll arrange the 4 sides:

On 4/24/2018 at 7:19 PM, Disco Stu said:

My guess:

A1 Main Title 1:14 
A2 Far From Home / E.T. Alone 6:57 
A3 Bait for E.T. 1:45 
A4 Meeting E.T. 2:08 
A5 E.T.’s New Home 1:28 
A6 The Beginning of a Friendship 2:53 
A7 Toys 3:13 

B1 I’m Keeping Him 2:20 
B2 E.T.’s Powers 2:44 
B3 The Closet  :53 
B4 E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk 2:57 
B5 Frogs 2:12 
B6 At Home 5:38 

C1 The Magic of Halloween 2:55 
C2 Sending the Signal 3:58 
C3 Searching for E.T. 4:18 
C4 Invading Elliott’s House 2:24 
C5 Stay With Me  2:24 
C6 Losing E.T. 2:04 
C7 E.T. Is Alive 4:22 

D1 The Rescue and Bike Chase 8:07 
D2 The Departure 7:07 
D3 End Credits 3:55 

There's a few different ways they could split.  I went with the assumption that they'd want "The Magic of Halloween" to be at the start of side C, not the end of side B.  But it could easily go to the end of side B, which is quite short without it.  I also assumed that the final reel should be its own side.

'Forced to do vinyl'... wtaf?

I've played around with a record player a few times but it was more for the novelty value 'hey, this thing plays music when I drop the needle!' than anything else.

As per my understanding these Vinyl issues are part of the overall deal. MV mentioned that they came in part parcel of the projects undertaken. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am buying it as well.

What film scores were given double albums in their original releases?  I mean in the vinyl era only.

I only know Star Wars, Superman, and Empire off the top of my head. Jerry didn't believe in long albums.

Close Encounters was supposed to be a 2xLP, but then changed to a 1xLP last minute.

From other composers, I can't think of any off the top of my head

Ah ha!  I just remembered Bernstein's Ten Commandments got a double LP release.

Interesting that that got a double album and Ben-Hur, two years later, did not.  Those biblical epics, at least the ones from late 50s to 60s, seem like prime candidates for the fancy double album gatefold treatment.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why does a vinyl release need different mastering?

Because vinyl sound is limited, so the master must be equivalent.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Interesting that that got a double album and Ben-Hur, two years later, did not.

They "made up" for that by making three seperate albums.

15 hours ago, phbart said:

Because vinyl sound is limited, so the master must be equivalent.

True.  An album has to "specially" mastered for a vinyl pressing. If you put the "CD" mastering directly on the vinyl, it will sound like crap... and I bet many LPs where released like that in the last years... So it's basically a trap.

Printing vinyls is a science.

Just the fact they release modern LPs using the CD tracklist, shows that they don't understand the vinyl.  Because the louder tracks and the ones with more bass should normally be placed in the outer grooves.

LP is a medium from another time!

Website updated!

p_LLLCD1420.jpg

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 35th Anniversary Remastered Edition (1982) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1420)

CD 1 - THE FILM SCORE PRESENTATION: Main Title; Far From Home / E.T. Alone; Bait for E.T.; Meeting E.T.; E.T.'s New Home; The Beginning of a Friendship; Toys; I'm Keeping Him; E.T.'s Powers; The Closet*; E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk; Frogs; At Home; The Magic of Halloween; Sending the Signal; Searching for E.T.; Invading Elliott's House; Stay With Me*; Losing E.T.; E.T. Is Alive; The Rescue and Bike Chase; The Departure; End Credits; CD 2 - THE 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Three Million Light Years From Home; Abandoned and Pursued; E.T. and Me; E.T.'s Halloween; Flying; E.T. Phone Home; Over the Moon; Adventure on Earth; ADDITIONAL MUSIC: The E.T. Adventure*; Far From Home / E.T. Alone (alternate)**; The Encounter*; Meeting E.T. (alternate)*; E.T.'s New Home (alternate); The Kiss*; Levitation*; Searching for E.T. (alternate); Invading Elliott's House (alternate)**; E.T. Is Dying; The Departure (alternate); End Credits (alternate). **Contains previously unreleased music, *Previously unreleased music.

p_LLLLP2004.jpg

(Reissued partially in 2018 as 2-LP "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Edition Vinyl", La-La Land Records, LLLLP 2004)

Disc 1: Main Title; Far From Home / E.T. Alone; The Encounter; Bait for E.T.; Meeting E.T.; E.T.'s New Home; The Beginning of a Friendship; Toys; I'm Keeping Him; E.T.'s Powers; The Closet; E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk; Frogs; The Kiss; Levitation; At Home; The Magic of Halloween; Disc 2: Sending the Signal; Searching for E.T.; Invading Elliott's House; Stay With Me; Losing E.T.; E.T. Is Alive; The Rescue and Bike Chase; The Departure; End Credits;

I trust Matessino and LLL to get it right.  Although it's the first vinyl release I've ever ordered from them.

Now I just need to figure out what the heck my stereo setup in my new house is going to be!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Anybody here receive theirs yet and want to comment on it?

Mine is being shipped to an alternate address in US. It will be a few more months before I get my hands on it all the way here to me. You can also keep an eye for an unboxing review on youtube. It's bound to happen any day,